Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 10:23 AM

231 posts, read 713,219 times

Advertisements

Regardless of where you go in the world, there will be people who adamantly argue that "X" city has nothing to offer. Just go to the different forums on City-Data. Philadelphia, Baltimore, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh - these are cities that many claim are devoid of social activity.
W-S and Greensboro do not have a vibrant social scene, but they are not Manhattan, so one should not expect that they would. They do have a reasonable number of options for entertainment and recreation compared to most cities their size not located on the coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1130 View Post
Wow!!

I am planning on relocating to NC and Winston-Salem was one of the cities I was planning on visiting . Very interesting as I am a single and would like some entertainment, nightlife, socializing in a city. Is Greensboro the same way ??

Dont do it. You will be sorry, It's very boring and depressing even for someone like me who is married and has a kid. I've been here six years and still not used to this city.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:14 AM

106 posts, read 175,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarriedMom View Post
Dont do it. You will be sorry, It's very boring and depressing even for someone like me who is married and has a kid. I've been here six years and still not used to this city.

Are you referring to Winston-Salem, Greensboro or both?

Old 06-25-2010, 10:28 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,033,385 times
Quote:
What? Has someone drawn a perimeter and told you to not set a foot past a certain point? *sheesh*

True, I don't have many needs. W-S has a good mall (better since the wilder element has been corralled by the curfew) when I'm in the mood to shop, some fine bookstores, excellent medical care facilities, and decent enough restaurants if not the most wide-ranging in cuisine. I just posted an article detailing an increase in the number of after hours places for the drinking crowd. But what I like best about living in this area is that it provides for my needs and is central for exploring other parts of the state -- even this part of the country.

I doubt that W-S is a city that caters to those who want to draw a circle around them and expect a diverse life within that small area; it's certainly not an Atlanta, NY or San Francisco - you can tell that by a simple drive around. It does, however provide for the simple needs of many while being central and easily accessible to a wider range of the country. I can afford to live here and save my $$ for exploring other parts of the country.

Last edited by silverwing; 06-25-2010 at 11:34 PM..

Old 06-26-2010, 08:15 AM

240 posts, read 559,314 times
Quote:
Wow! That makes me feel a little better. Even if you are single you'd feel the same way. It has been a while since I was last in Winston-Salem, and my experience was such that I never want to set foot in that sorry city ever again. The words: ''boring and depressing'' pretty much summarize 99.9% of the state. It's also pretty cliquey too.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:40 PM

676 posts, read 3,076,344 times
Quote:
Ha, ha! Ditto! Plus two little kids - going on 4 years and trying to plan our exit strategy.....

Old 06-27-2010, 07:46 AM

240 posts, read 559,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
Ha, ha! Ditto! Plus two little kids - going on 4 years and trying to plan our exit strategy.....

I hear that. If only moving out was that easy. Sometimes, I just want to run away and abandon everything.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:44 PM

106 posts, read 175,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhornc View Post
I hear that. If only moving out was that easy. Sometimes, I just want to run away and abandon everything.

That bad huh!! Maybe I should scratch this one off my list and just visit the others (Raleigh/Durham). Are these more alive cities than Winston-Salem?

Old 06-27-2010, 09:11 PM

676 posts, read 3,076,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhornc View Post
We have a decent savings account and I actually had that thought run in my head. I am way too practical and frugal to live off savings; hence one of the reasons I am in Winston-Salem!! We were lured here by affordable housing and now realize owning a decent home with a large yard out in the 'burbs of W-S isn't all that it is cracked up to be. We are seriously thinking about putting our house on the market next spring and just renting until we can find a way out of here. We don't want the house (again the major reason we are here!!) to hold us back. I am looking at this move as a major learning lesson. I need to dream bigger, be a bit more of a risk taker, less scared and live more with heart than my head. Winston-Salem is practical, safe, predictable, tired....

Old 06-28-2010, 05:46 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
Different strokes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point