Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 04:27 PM

112 posts, read 267,617 times

Advertisements

I just arrived from a full and beautiful drive down from chicago. We close on the land tomorrow but decided to drive around to see what might be our new home town.

Very green, very clean and quite interesting to say the least. I see a lot of potential and look forward to the move.

Staying in the Marriott, very pretty hotel and now looking to go to Billy D's for dinner based on your recomendations.

Cant wait to see it at night and day 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 07:28 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,556,115 times
Glad you like it! You should enjoy the entire Upstate area - there's always a new town or historic site or place of natural beauty to explore!

Old 07-22-2010, 08:28 PM

ok a little scary on the south west side (hampton heights) I went to Orielly's for some windshield fluid and was harrased by a fine african american gentleman looking for a hand out but upset that i said no.. so i quickly got out of that area... went to Billy D's and had a great steak and the trimmings for $25 thats pretty good but the place was dead on a thursday...

Converse heights is an emotional roller coaster with woahs look at that house and eeew look at this place.. some of those homes need to meet a bulldozer as I see some have done and built gorgeous homes and yet there are some there that are very charming.. so it remains on the list.

I enjoyed music on main tonight and got to meet some locals, but as the guy said checking my ID for a wrist band ... whats going on, youre like the 10th person with an out of sate ID in the past hour... so maybe i didnt meet too many locals afterall but the crowd was good and so the music so all in all a good evening.

looking forward to tomorrow.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:45 AM

301 posts, read 804,963 times
Hampton Heights can be scary. There are good streets and bad streets. It is a really nice neighborhood with some pretty homes and the people who live there seemingly love it, but really, you can walk one street over and feel like you're in an entirely different town. Don't be put off by it at all. They put on a lovely Tour of Homes in December and the older houses that have been kept up are absolutely gorgeous.

Converse Heights is a go and miss type of place... but a lot of people try to get a house in there so that their kids are in a good school district. It is almost impossible to get in Pine Street otherwise. I personally think that it is a beautiful neighborhood and that you shouldn't discount it. None of the houses really have ever struck me as 'ugly' except for some of the smaller houses towards East Main Street... but some of the most beautiful houses in Spartanburg are in Converse Heights. And I've never heard of anyone being uncomfortable there, either.

I'm honestly not sure how many 'locals' go to things like Music On Main. I've lived in Spartanburg my entire life and only know one or two people who actually go to those... but it is an option, none-the-less, for people who live here.

I'm really glad that you had a good first impression. I think that a lot of people tend to make Spartanburg out to be a horrible, dangerous place when it is not at all like that.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:09 PM

182 posts, read 351,182 times
Default Oh No!!!

Don't tell the G'Vegas "elitists" that Spartanburg is a hospitable place to live and/or visit!!!

Glad you are having a good first impression. I used to be a regular attender of Music on Main years ago, but since I've had kids, might only go once a year. We tend to frequent the Friday Night Jazz on the Square, which runs during April-May and September-October, so that's not an option for you tonight.

As stated, as you travel south from Hampton Heights, it can get a little dicey, to say the least. Hampton Heights itself is slowly reinventing itself from a very checkered past.

As I've said before, I'm biased because I live here, but Converse Heights is a wonderful neighborhood with mainly older homes. Some need a lot of work, some have been completely renovated, and most are somewhere in between, mine included. Don't know if you passed by my house or not, but I'm have my roof redone and it should finish up today - a complete re-roof, including taking off the original cedar shakes that date back to the construction of the house in 1920. I hate to not use them, but the original rafters and support 1x4s are staying as they are in great shape. Next, I'm residing the house to closer approximate the original Craftsman siding, but not using real wood as I don't want to paint every 4-6 years. Anyway, we love it, and love being there.

One other thing about the homes that have been bulldozed and newer homes have been built - maybe it's snobbish (I don't think so), but some of the really new homes have been built completely out of character with the neighborhood, and I personally don't like them. As individual homes, they are quite nice, but as a collective whole, I wish people who did that would build to the neighborhood's character and not drop in a McMansion. One in particular that comes to mind - the owner told the neighbors that what he built would fit in seamlessly, and they couldn't have been farther from the truth. Anyway, that's my $0.02 on that.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay - I'd recommend Gerhard's for what is usually a pretty lively Friday crowd. Glad the food at Billy D's at least did not disappoint if the crowd level did.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:34 PM

Well day 3 was as good if not better than 2. Had an incredible dinner at Renatos WOW was that good italian and i should know cuz i am one and been there 2 times but seriously, Daryll running the front was great and i was so impressed with the place i bought one of their personalized etched Wine glasses for my next visit, i'm an official member of the Renato wine club.

drove around Converse Heights and made zig zags fo 2 hours through the East side and really started to like it more and more.

All in all Spartanburg is growing on me, its a great town thus far.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:01 PM

Day 4 started out on a high note with planting a crepe myrtle (sp?) on the new land in the 104 heat and then on to a drive to boiling springs, Inman, lake Bowen and then down to the Carolina Country Club area. By mid afternoon I was convinced that the Woodfin area of homes was going to be our relocation choice buuut after leaving CC and heading down Pine street i veered off onto Twin and then sunset to see Converse Heights again in the daytime... wow, i didn’t give it a fair chance the previous two times through. its amazing and very large, i'm not sure if I was in CH the whole time but i drove around and around until i got dizzy and streets like Otis and Glendalyn are exceptional and now more than ever i am confused lol It will have to be my wife’s choice but i'm heavily leaning CH!
I love Spartanburg and i am so glad more people tend to like Greenville... shhhhh i hope the secret remains.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopShotter View Post
Don't know if you passed by my house or not, but I'm have my roof redone and it should finish up today - a complete re-roof, including taking off the original cedar shakes that date back to the construction of the house in 1920. I hate to not use them, but the original rafters and support 1x4s are staying as they are in great shape. Next, I'm residing the house to closer approximate the original Craftsman siding, but not using real wood as I don't want to paint every 4-6 years. Anyway, we love it, and love being there.
Drove around CH for an hour today, got some looks considering i was writing things down in front of some homes, I'm glad i was in a respectable car, people were friendly and waved, in chicago we would have harrased them or the cops would have been on my bumper, anyway... i really liked what I saw this time around and there is one in particular i wish we were ready for, after this last run through CH is definately on the top of our list or at least mine, my wife needs to see what I saw.

I saw several houses having their roof done, all of which had roofing contractor signs in the yard, i was wondering if any were yours.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:46 PM

301 posts, read 804,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4au View Post
Drove around CH for an hour today, got some looks considering i was writing things down in front of some homes, I'm glad i was in a respectable car, people were friendly and waved, in chicago we would have harrased them or the cops would have been on my bumper, anyway... i really liked what I saw this time around and there is one in particular i wish we were ready for, after this last run through CH is definately on the top of our list or at least mine, my wife needs to see what I saw.
People definitely wave here, even if you have no idea who they are. I was in Converse Heights picking up a friend... and the person I was waving at happened to be my friend's father. Had no clue.

I'm not sure why you would be harassed for driving around a neighborhood... that seems strange to me.

I'm glad that Converse Heights is up on your list. It really is a nice neighborhood full of nice people. =)

Old 07-24-2010, 08:59 PM

216 posts, read 413,920 times
Why couldn't you have just said that a MAN harassed you for a handout? I don't think it matters what race the bum was. A bum is a bum is a bum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4au View Post
ok a little scary on the south west side (hampton heights) I went to Orielly's for some windshield fluid and was harrased by a fine african american gentleman looking for a hand out but upset that i said no.. so i quickly got out of that area... went to Billy D's and had a great steak and the trimmings for $25 thats pretty good but the place was dead on a thursday...

Converse heights is an emotional roller coaster with woahs look at that house and eeew look at this place.. some of those homes need to meet a bulldozer as I see some have done and built gorgeous homes and yet there are some there that are very charming.. so it remains on the list.

I enjoyed music on main tonight and got to meet some locals, but as the guy said checking my ID for a wrist band ... whats going on, youre like the 10th person with an out of sate ID in the past hour... so maybe i didnt meet too many locals afterall but the crowd was good and so the music so all in all a good evening.

looking forward to tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area