Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 01:22 PM

98 posts, read 203,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
And then they go down Main Street, and see the Hyatt and Westin. They cross Court Square, they see the Peace Center, and they come around the curve and are blown away when they see RiverPlace. They are charmed by the West End. They have long forgotten that they only saw a few tall buildings as they drove in on I-385.
You're right - everybody loves it. I think the lack of larger business presence downtown though really keeps the city somewhat 'off the radar' to those who are from out of market.
I was just putting in my .02 as to why the skyline aspect of downtown is pretty weak overall...just my opinion.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:53 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,468,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFLtransplant View Post
You're right - everybody loves it. I think the lack of larger business presence downtown though really keeps the city somewhat 'off the radar' to those who are from out of market.
I was just putting in my .02 as to why the skyline aspect of downtown is pretty weak overall...just my opinion.
I agree with you. Our skyline is relatively weak for a metro our size. My point was that most people who are underwhelmed at first glance are ultimately wowed and impressed. Hopefully, one day not too far away, our skyline will wow people just as the street level experience does.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:55 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,542,050 times
Quote:
I agree with you. Our skyline is relatively weak for a metro our size. My point was that most people who are underwhelmed at first glance are ultimately wowed and impressed. Hopefully, one day not too far away, our skyline will wow people just as the street level experience does.
Greenville for mayor! Greenville for president!

Old 05-17-2011, 03:16 PM

Okay, so supposedly this project's midrise buildings will front Main Street and the corner of Main and Washington, with the highrise behind them and fronting Washington Street. I'm not sure of specific building heights.

The bookseller will front Main, and overlook Piazza Bergamo. It will be two stories. Other retail will front Main and Washington on street level. The rest of the mixed-use space will be office and residential.

I'm still not sure how substantial the hotel rumor is, but I would not be surprised to see part of the highrise include a hotel. Parking will have to be somewhere. Underground perhaps?

I can't help but wonder if this will coincide with a corporate announcement. A project of this size has to include a fairly substantial corporate presence, doesn't it?

Oh and the project manager for this project (from 4240 Architecture) has experience with highrise building design, most notably as part of the design team for the Freedom Tower in NYC (World Trade Center site). I'm hoping that translates into a dynamic signature tower in Greenville. They have several of their architects on the design team for this project. Expect this to have LEED certification, for sure.

I would love to know a specific date for a public announcement for this...

Old 05-17-2011, 03:19 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,542,050 times
Quote:
Okay, so supposedly this project's midrise buildings will front Main Street and the corner of Main and Washington, with the highrise behind them and fronting Washington Street. I'm not sure of specific building heights.

The bookseller will front Main, and overlook Piazza Bergamo. It will be two stories. Other retail will front Main and Washington on street level. The rest of the mixed-use space will be office and residential.

I'm still not sure how substantial the hotel rumor is, but I would not be surprised to see part of the highrise include a hotel. Parking will have to be somewhere. Underground perhaps?

I can't help but wonder if this will coincide with a corporate announcement. A project of this size has to include a fairly substantial corporate presence, doesn't it?

Oh and the project manager for this project (from 4240 Architecture) has experience with highrise building design, most notably as part of the design team for the Freedom Tower in NYC (World Trade Center site). I'm hoping that translates into a dynamic signature tower in Greenville. They have several of their architects on the design team for this project. Expect this to have LEED certification, for sure.

I would love to know a specific date for a public announcement for this...
I just hope it doesn't have some horrible spire so it gets "fake" height ascribed to it. Give me habitable floors, man!

Old 05-17-2011, 03:34 PM

5,487 posts, read 8,318,595 times
I just want it to be visable from a distance, and wow people with beautiful architecture when up close.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:43 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
I just want it to be visable from a distance, and wow people with beautiful architecture when up close.
I just want to see the dang thing get announced and built already.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:12 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,858,461 times
I just want it to have a couple of cool restaurants on ground level with great bars, outdoor seating and bartenders that know how to mix a great Sidecar. (Doesn't take much to make me happy).

Old 05-17-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I just want it to have a couple of cool restaurants on ground level with great bars, outdoor seating and bartenders that know how to mix a great Sidecar. (Doesn't take much to make me happy).
And don't skimp on the cognac, right?

I really want the Piazza Bergamo space to be utilized to the fullest. If done properly, space overlooking the plaza should be in demand just as space overlooking the river is.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:15 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times
Did we find the Washington Square yet? Still waiting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area