Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 06:26 PM

244 posts, read 644,888 times

Advertisements

I'll be in Greenville in less than 60 days! I already have a house rented in Simpsonville for June 15th.

For months I have been just so darn excited... now I'm still thrilled but getting nervous... moving is, well, it's a lot. :-/

Can you please recommend a staffing agency that specializes in administrative type jobs? I can do a lot of things but I think the easiest for me to find will be administrative work. My past involves working as "Executive Assistant to the President/CEO" at major companies and institutions like Harvard University and McKinsey & Company in NYC. I know there aren't a ton of major company headquarters in G'ville but I'm just being specific so you'll understand I'm not looking for a receptionist position.

I actually found the perfect job about 3 months ago and they even called me for an interview before realizing I was out of state (and very far away). I applied just to see what would happen (nothing ventured nothing gained) but then was pretty crestfallen when they said they wouldn't pay to fly me in for an interview (which is entirely expected for this sort of position, a company would only pay travel costs for much higher level execs...)

Thanks so much in advance for any help or insight you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 06:37 PM

1,893 posts, read 3,460,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer71 View Post
I actually found the perfect job about 3 months ago and they even called me for an interview before realizing I was out of state (and very far away). I applied just to see what would happen (nothing ventured nothing gained) but then was pretty crestfallen when they said they wouldn't pay to fly me in for an interview (which is entirely expected for this sort of position...)

Thanks for any help.
Just a head's up, few companies are willing to fly folks in and out for interviews and such these days, and I know companies around here are no different than those just about anywhere else re: that issue. Same for relocation; don't expect a dime.

It more has to do with the economy at large than anything personal or on the company's end, trust me. Like companies in most places in America right now they know they can get talent locally, or at least within a region (say 250 mile radius), vs. 5 years ago when the economy was mostly booming and companies were throwing money around and offering large relocation bonuses.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Just a head's up, few companies are willing to fly folks in and out for interviews and such these days, and I know companies around here are no different than those just about anywhere else re: that issue. Same for relocation; don't expect a dime.

It more has to do with the economy at large than anything personal or on the company's end, trust me. Like companies in most places in America right now they know they can get talent locally, or at least within a region (say 250 mile radius), vs. 5 years ago when the economy was mostly booming and companies were throwing money around and offering large relocation bonuses.
Hi, HowardRoarke,

Oh, believe me, I *NEVER* expected them to pay my travel costs for an interview. I was just a little surprised that they bothered calling me and getting my hopes up when my address (with far away state) was all over my resume and cover letter. I guess they were testing me to see if I'd fly down there on my own dime, which I opted not to do because it's too risky to spend about $1200 and not get the job. And all my moving expenses are on me...I'm moving to G'ville and then finding a job...the expense of moving is on me.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:37 AM

470 posts, read 596,348 times
Best of luck to you! I did the same thing 3 years ago and it worked out great! Now get ready for everyone to tell you that you should have had a job first. Which is not a bad idea, just not always feasible. Good Luck!

Old 04-25-2011, 07:34 AM

899 posts, read 2,291,827 times
wanderer,

Godshall Staffing is a well known locally-based staffing agency that many Greenville companies use.
Godshall Staffing – Employment & Temp Agency in Greenville, SC

Also found that Appleone is recruiting for an executive admin asst position in downtown Greenville at $40k. May be worth a call to them.
http://www.appleone.com/CareerSearch...D=586757&sc=34

Old 04-25-2011, 08:32 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,567,967 times
Find Great People (FGP) is another resource to check. FGP | Executive Search Firm | Temporary Staffing Agency | Technology Jobs | Outplacement Services | Employee Recruiting | HR Consulting Firm | Greenville, Columbia, SC

It may be worth checking with the Greenville Hospital System, as it's a huge healthcare system, and should have lots of "admin" type positions.

Also, Hubbel Lighting is based in Greenville, with a decent-sized headquarters on the Millenium Campus (adjacent to CU-ICAR) and Fluor Engineering has a large campus here as well.

Good luck!

Old 04-25-2011, 11:04 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,106,073 times
Wait....OP has already laid out money to relocate here WITHOUT having a job FIRST!!??

People, seriously. This is a NEW economy. You don't move without a job first! OP must be very, very young & inexperienced.

As for staffing agencies, most are pure garbage. Very few will actually help you land a job. Most are in the business of adding you to their list of "available workers", and never contact you again. Godshall & Accountemps are amongst the worst in the area at doing this.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
Wait....OP has already laid out money to relocate here WITHOUT having a job FIRST!!??

People, seriously. This is a NEW economy. You don't move without a job first! OP must be very, very young & inexperienced.

As for staffing agencies, most are pure garbage. Very few will actually help you land a job. Most are in the business of adding you to their list of "available workers", and never contact you again. Godshall & Accountemps are amongst the worst in the area at doing this.

Nope, not young and not inexperienced.

It is virtually impossible to land a job in Greenville or anywhere from the other side of the country. I have to get to my destination first in order to meet for interviews, otherwise no company is going to fly me in for an interview. In this NEW economy one has to take risks otherwise I would never get to Greenville. I seriously don't see how a person would land a job without getting there first. Unless a person was a CEO or a high enough catch that a company would bother spending their resources to pay their travel expenses (several times), I see no other option but to get myself there first.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Find Great People (FGP) is another resource to check. FGP | Executive Search Firm | Temporary Staffing Agency | Technology Jobs | Outplacement Services | Employee Recruiting | HR Consulting Firm | Greenville, Columbia, SC

It may be worth checking with the Greenville Hospital System, as it's a huge healthcare system, and should have lots of "admin" type positions.

Also, Hubbel Lighting is based in Greenville, with a decent-sized headquarters on the Millenium Campus (adjacent to CU-ICAR) and Fluor Engineering has a large campus here as well.

Good luck!
Funny you mention GHS, that's who called me a few months back!

Old 04-26-2011, 10:24 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,560,825 times
I worked temp once for Appleone. If you monitor the jobs they post you won't see many over $40,000/yr and for the most part they just want you available for temp jobs. I have found most agencies here to be unhelpful for full-time employment and I believe its because of an overabundance of contract positions here. All you can do is keep looking and hope something rolls your way but you should consider what will happen if nothing does. In almost all cases you won't be eligible for unemployment if you quit a job there to move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area