Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 05:19 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,548,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I worked temp once for Appleone. If you monitor the jobs they post you won't see many over $40,000/yr and for the most part they just want you available for temp jobs. I have found most agencies here to be unhelpful for full-time employment and I believe its because of an overabundance of contract positions here. All you can do is keep looking and hope something rolls your way but you should consider what will happen if nothing does. In almost all cases you won't be eligible for unemployment if you quit a job there to move here.
I worked for/through Appleone about 8 years ago on a temp-to-perm assignment with a (then) local golf equipment manufacturer. A couple weeks before I was to go perm with the employer, the company that recently had acquired them decided to close the Greenville Customer Service operation.

So, I got sacked, along with all the permanent employees - not Appleone's fault, but that was my only experience with them or any such agency here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 08:03 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,734,008 times
Don't know, as I'm just moving down myself, but wanted to say good luck! I think with your positive attitude it will work out fine.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:27 AM

10,106 posts, read 7,775,270 times
I also think these temp agencies post these higher paying jobs online just to get you into the office to register. You'll end up in lower paying jobs. I doubt even half the times the job actually exists.

Also how much time do you think you should allow a temp agency to keep you temp? I think 3 months is enough for a company to know if they wanted to keep you. One temp agency recently called me with a good job yet she said it could be a year I worked with them...i.e. no benefits till then. I wasn't interested in making the temp agency money over the 3 month period I'd be working for them, I wanted full benefits with the company I would be working at.

I knew one girl that worked at a large employer in G'ville for 2 years with a temp agency before becoming a permanent employee there. She didn't really care about the benefits as she got insurance through her husband. The heck with that. I like and need the benefits.

Also, you can negotiate your salary if you work for a temp agency. I actually worked for one years ago. It was interesting to be behind the scenes there.

Wanderer, you'll be fine as long as you have some money saved up. I did the same thing 15 years ago when I moved up here with no job. I found a place to live, moved up here with my dog and I've been doing ok...but I do agree the economy was better but I think you'll be fine.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:18 PM

244 posts, read 644,190 times
Clarification: To those who think me a bit silly for moving to another state without a job... I'll just let you in on a little detail so you won't need to worry 'bout me any longer :-)

I am self-employed and I will bring my business with me to SC while I am looking for a job. I have found that I do not like being self-employed - do not enjoy the variable income - and the high cost of health insurance (among other things) - so while my business will keep me alive and well with a roof over my head my aim is to go back to the 9-5 world and find a job with benefits again. I would never have believed I would change my mind about this; but being self-employed, as much as it's been a wonderful life lesson, isn't what I thought it would be.

So, I will have an income while I'm looking for a position.

Thank you for all your thoughts and suggestions about staffing agencies and finding employment. Much appreciated. If there's more insight out there -- keep it coming! :-)

Old 10-05-2011, 01:19 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,843,540 times
I am hoping that some folks out there can help me out with some staffing agency websites? I am trying to help someone find a job and I need a little help?

Old 10-05-2011, 04:32 PM

244 posts, read 644,190 times
Well, Knoodles, so far I've had zero luck with the staffing agencies. They have extremely low level, low paying contract positions. I'm talking $10/hr for a person who is used to making $30+ per hr...

Job prospects for someone in the administrative field are few and far between in Greenville. Particularly someone skilled and experienced (as I am). A person with 1 yr experience or no college degree fares better down here.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:06 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
some that come to mind:

AppleOne.com
FindGreatPeople.com
Godshall sccareersearch.com

If you find anything through any of these 3 you are lucky. Expect to be low-balled on a salary too if you are offered any work.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:15 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,775,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer71 View Post
Well, Knoodles, so far I've had zero luck with the staffing agencies. They have extremely low level, low paying contract positions. I'm talking $10/hr for a person who is used to making $30+ per hr...

Job prospects for someone in the administrative field are few and far between in Greenville. Particularly someone skilled and experienced (as I am). A person with 1 yr experience or no college degree fares better down here.
Oh so you're in town now. Great! I hope you're loving it here.

As far as admin jobs down here, they don't pay $30.00 an hour. That would be extremely rare. You might could make that kind of money as an admin in DC, NY or CA, but not in SC.

Keep plugging away...you'll find something. Good Luck!

Old 10-06-2011, 01:05 PM

123 posts, read 437,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer71 View Post
Clarification: To those who think me a bit silly for moving to another state without a job... I'll just let you in on a little detail so you won't need to worry 'bout me any longer :-)

I am self-employed and I will bring my business with me to SC while I am looking for a job. I have found that I do not like being self-employed - do not enjoy the variable income - and the high cost of health insurance (among other things) - so while my business will keep me alive and well with a roof over my head my aim is to go back to the 9-5 world and find a job with benefits again. I would never have believed I would change my mind about this; but being self-employed, as much as it's been a wonderful life lesson, isn't what I thought it would be.

So, I will have an income while I'm looking for a position.

Thank you for all your thoughts and suggestions about staffing agencies and finding employment. Much appreciated. If there's more insight out there -- keep it coming! :-)
That's the way to do it. There's nothing wrong with moving down without a job as long as you have some alternate income and/or a significant amount in savings (minimum 6 months of living expenses). The ones that annoy me are the clowns that move down here with $100 in their pocket, end up on the street and then blame South Carolina for their problems.

You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and will be an asset to any company. Welcome to South Carolina and best wishes!

Old 10-06-2011, 03:41 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,792 times
I had a short experience with Godshall. I had a call requesting an interview and scheduled it. They were suppose to send me more info about where to go and such the day before. I got the email 2 hours before I was suppose to show up and it was a good hour away away from me. Luckily that morning I got an official offer from someone else.

I gave me a really bad unprofessional vibe from them and I was glad I wasn't so desperate as to have to rely on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area