Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 07:33 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,793,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
I think it's sad that we have groups like PETA, yet we treat our own kind so badly without concern. Watch the news, it's just entertainment filled with people hurting other people. Would it be better if the animals were out in the wild being hunted?
Sorry, but you are presenting a couple of false dilemmas here. Of course you can't just put zoo animals out into the wild, but you can give them a much better life. Even if you DID put them back into the wild, why would they have to be hunted??? And even 50 acres won't provide a better life for these animals, imo. There are very large refuges now in this country, including one in NC, where these animals could have a much better existence (hunter-free!) than the horrible one they live now.

I really don't know anything about PETA, except that they pull stunts here and there to get on the news. But to put PETA in the same sentence with children wreaks of fallacy to me.

Last edited by Art123; 05-19-2011 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Shouldn't that be, "educate" as well as/instead of "entertain"? Regardless of your personal views, the zoo still provides a valuable service.
Unfortunately, one of the biggest lessons kids learn at the zoo is that this is an appropriate way to treat animals - like objects that exist for our entertainment.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:16 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Unfortunately, one of the biggest lessons kids learn at the zoo is that this is an appropriate way to treat animals - like objects that exist for our entertainment.
Do suggest we treat them like humans?

Old 05-19-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
I think that here in 2011, it's obvious that animals are actually pretty intelligent, sentient beings worthy of respect, not what essentially is a jail.

Treat animals like animals, let them live where they live naturally. They shouldn't be locked behind concrete and metal in what is essentially a very tiny space. But now that they have been out of the wild, confined to where their natural instincts are weak, we can at least protect them in an area with a much more appropriate amount of space.

I guess in a sense the animals in the Greenville ZOO are being treated like humans, criminal humans. What crimes did these animals commit?

Old 05-19-2011, 08:41 AM

477 posts, read 841,133 times
Quote:
You are so missing the point here.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:37 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I think that here in 2011, it's obvious that animals are actually pretty intelligent, sentient beings worthy of respect, not what essentially is a jail.

Treat animals like animals, let them live where they live naturally. They shouldn't be locked behind concrete and metal in what is essentially a very tiny space. But now that they have been out of the wild, confined to where their natural instincts are weak, we can at least protect them in an area with a much more appropriate amount of space.

I guess in a sense the animals in the Greenville ZOO are being treated like humans, criminal humans. What crimes did these animals commit?
I agree. So instead of continuing to talk about how horrible the current Greenville Zoo is, why not focus on improvements we would like to see in the new Greenville Zoo? The zoo as well as the City of Greenville agree with your assessment and want to expand and improve the zoo. So let's focus on solutions.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:29 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I agree. So instead of continuing to talk about how horrible the current Greenville Zoo is, why not focus on improvements we would like to see in the new Greenville Zoo? The zoo as well as the City of Greenville agree with your assessment and want to expand and improve the zoo. So let's focus on solutions.
Thank you for saying what I wanted to say!

Old 05-19-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I posted my solution on the first page of this thread.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:55 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto7SC View Post
You are so missing the point here.
I definitely get the point, I'm just not animal crazy.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:03 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,099,690 times
I've been to the San Diego Zoo and Zoo Australia, two of the best in the world. While our local one is tiny, it's quaint and cute. I am sure that it is very cramped for the animals, but to imply that the workers there don't care about animals is a bit of a stretch. You don't major in zoology and hate animals. I'm sure they all want a bigger zoo as well.

Anyway, back on topic. I think a great location would be County Square, plenty of land, right above Falls Park, an in city tourist attraction. Only problem is those pesky county office buildings. lol But if those were moved, I think County Square would be the ideal choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area