Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 03:06 PM

477 posts, read 841,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Can't we at least agree that just having a zoo here is a good thing?
No, because having a zoo where animals have a miserable life instead of having no zoo at all is not a good thing.

(And about the positive/negative comments about Greenville. There are good and bad things about Greenville. If the zoo is not a good thing, it is necessary that somebody says that.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 03:14 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,868,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackofdawn View Post
I agree that the current Zoo is quite nice. Sure it's small, but out of the places I've lived it's roughly comparable to other zoos we've had near us, but the animals seem to be better treated and have more space than other Zoos. If we closed all the Zoos the size of the Greenville Zoo in the country, we'd be left with a pathetic number of Zoos.
I agree the current zoo is quite cute, definitely small, but quite cute. One of the best things about the zoo, is work it does to help wildlife conservation (check out the program on the website).
Quarters for Conservation Program

In addition, the numerous fundraisers held at the zoo, as well as the educational opportunities. A definite plus for the area.

A new, larger zoo, will only increase those positives.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:19 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,472,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I agree the current zoo is quite cute, definitely small, but quite cute. One of the best things about the zoo, is work it does to help wildlife conservation (check out the program on the website).
Quarters for Conservation Program

In addition, the numerous fundraisers held at the zoo, as well as the educational opportunities. A definite plus for the area.

A new, larger zoo, will only increase those positives.
Any idea as to where a new zoo could locate? I would like to see it somewhat in-town, rather than way out in the 'burbs.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:21 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,868,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Any idea as to where a new zoo could locate? I would like to see it somewhat in-town, rather than way out in the 'burbs.
The new park planned near the Kroc Center is the only area I can think of. Apparently, there is a 50 acre tract they have their eyes on.....not sure where it is.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:23 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,552,504 times
I still like the Roper Mountain idea. There's GOT to be enough acreage there somewhere.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:25 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,330,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I just literally laughed out loud. The funny thing about reading your post is that this forum is about the only place anyone ever refers to me as "miserable," and it has happened a few times on this forum. I think it's my passion for politics, and animals. I DO post passionately on those things, because if you're not mad as hell, you aren't paying attention! I also think that those (no offense) who throw "miserable" around know what it means first-hand, and are advising themselves as much anything else.

I have a coworker just the other day say she likes being around me cause I "always have a smile on my face." I am almost always cracking jokes, albeit with pretty dry humor. Wow we are off-topic. This forum even makes me laugh! Thanks for the advice, though. It's good advice...for somebody else!
I never said you were miserable. I said if you dwell on negativity it will make you miserable. I don't dwell on it, especially if I can't change it. I actually feel that politicians cause a lot of problems. Lets not get into that. Again, people aren't that naive to believe our area doesn't have some negative. They know, they just look for the good.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:27 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,797,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto7SC View Post
No, because having a zoo where animals have a miserable life instead of having no zoo at all is not a good thing.

(And about the positive/negative comments about Greenville. There are good and bad things about Greenville. If the zoo is not a good thing, it is necessary that somebody says that.)
Obviously I completely agree with you. I think how people treat animals says a lot about them, and the Greenville Zoo is a poor reflection on Greenville. It needs to be closed.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:37 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,797,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
I never said you were miserable. I said if you dwell on negativity it will make you miserable. I don't dwell on it, especially if I can't change it. I actually feel that politicians cause a lot of problems. Lets not get into that. Again, people aren't that naive to believe our area doesn't have some negative. They know, they just look for the good.
Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

While I agree that people aren't naive, some people can be and do get the wrong impression on this forum sometimes. I think the zoo is a good example. It's tiny, outdated and filled with obviously miserable animals. The Greenville Cheerleading Squad often lists it as a positive aspect of Greenville, and on the surface it may seem that way. But in my, and many other people I know here in Greenville, the Zoo is an embarrassment. I've had visitors come from out of town (friends, family and professional) who mention it as something they want to see. I took one group there, and they were appalled. Most people are used to zoos that have been updated in the past 50 years to at least somewhat resemble a natural habitat. A rock inside three concrete walls with a fence is an animal prison, not a modern zoo. Greenville should be ashamed of this place.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:54 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,472,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

While I agree that people aren't naive, some people can be and do get the wrong impression on this forum sometimes. I think the zoo is a good example. It's tiny, outdated and filled with obviously miserable animals. The Greenville Cheerleading Squad often lists it as a positive aspect of Greenville, and on the surface it may seem that way. But in my, and many other people I know here in Greenville, the Zoo is an embarrassment. I've had visitors come from out of town (friends, family and professional) who mention it as something they want to see. I took one group there, and they were appalled. Most people are used to zoos that have been updated in the past 50 years to at least somewhat resemble a natural habitat. A rock inside three concrete walls with a fence is an animal prison, not a modern zoo. Greenville should be ashamed of this place.
I would prefer to see it expanded and improved, rather than closed. I agree that zoos can be depressing and sad, as I don't like seeing animals removed from their natural habitats and confined to an unpleasant environment. However, I do believe that if done properly with a lot of attention to detail, zoos can actually be great for the animals there.

Greenville, being a "can-do" city, is likely to improve the zoo and make it great rather than fold and just close the existing zoo. Rather than talk about how embarrassing the current zoo is, why not focus on discussing ways to make it better (which is exactly what area leaders seem to be doing)?

Old 05-17-2011, 04:02 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,552,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Rather than talk about how embarrassing the current zoo is, why not focus on discussing ways to make it better (which is exactly what area leaders seem to be doing)?
Hear, hear! ...and basically what I said in an earlier post as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area