Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 05:24 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Hopefully this shows Bi-Lo is healthy. They should have been after the last bankruptcy. I'm pretty sure consolidation of the Greenville offices has been a goal and likely continues to be. Does anybody know if there is store overlap with this model? I don't think there is any since W-D scaled back a few years ago.
No there is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 07:34 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,613,328 times
Just a couple of questions.....

1. Equity firms typically are not in the business of operating grocery stores. Has anyone heard about or read about how long Lone Star holds assets? I know noone would know this who would tell but, are they putting together a larger company for possible sale to get a better price?

2. How many people work for Bi Lo in Mauldin?

3. Bi Lo has never done well in Charlotte, HT beats them everywhere. Is Bi Lo serious about updating their stores. The stores here in Charlotte are terrible.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:42 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,666,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Just a couple of questions.....

1. Equity firms typically are not in the business of operating grocery stores. Has anyone heard about or read about how long Lone Star holds assets? I know noone would know this who would tell but, are they putting together a larger company for possible sale to get a better price?

2. How many people work for Bi Lo in Mauldin?

3. Bi Lo has never done well in Charlotte, HT beats them everywhere. Is Bi Lo serious about updating their stores. The stores here in Charlotte are terrible.
Not sure on the first two;

The store near my house here in Mauldin was remodeled within the last year. It's quite a nice store, almost on par with the Publix a couple of blocks over, and definitely not at the same level as the WD stores that we had in FL. The Bi-Lo at the north end of Simpsonville (a Super Bi-Lo) is either recently remodeled or a fairly new store as well.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:44 PM

The store in Powdersville was renovated a few years ago and looks MUCH better inside and out than the Ingles just up the street.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:46 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,864,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
The store near my house here in Mauldin was remodeled within the last year. It's quite a nice store, almost on par with the Publix a couple of blocks over, and definitely not at the same level as the WD stores that we had in FL. The Bi-Lo at the north end of Simpsonville (a Super Bi-Lo) is either recently remodeled or a fairly new store as well.
Bi-Lo has been on an agressive remodel plan, and I agree with you, the product they are turning out is almost on par with Publix in most cases. Far better than Ingles (a mystery to me how Ingles stay in business).

Old 12-19-2011, 08:16 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times
I never thought Winn Dixie and Bi-Lo would become one entity. Both were successful chains until the 2000s. Bi-Lo would enter into an unsuccessful partnership with Bruno's and fall into bankruptcy. Winn Dixie, which had been closing stores since the mid-1990s, pulled out of the area for good in 2005, including a major market, Atlanta.

What happens next? Bi-Lo and Winn Dixie will spend some time intregrating themselves into one. Logistics-wise, changes will occur at the C&S warehouse in Mauldin, which services Bi-Lo stores. Winn Dixie operates its own logistics. Both have pharmacy networks that must be combined into one uniform system. Corporate functions will be streamlined into one of the two headquartered cities.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:06 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,022,762 times
I am wondering also about Lone Star putting together a stronger company to get better price to sell it to a company like Kroger. BI-LO has apparently been for sale all this time but Lone Star just hasn't gotten the right price. They had an agreement with Delhaize (Food lion parent) a few years ago to acquire BILO but it fell through. I thought Kroger would be very interested and eventually acquire BI-LO because there would be very little overlap in markets since most of BILOs stores are in South Carolina and the Chattanooga area. Kroger only has a couple of stores each in Columbia and Myrtle Beach and none in the Chattanooga area. Getting Bi-lo would have filled in a big gap for Kroger between Knoxville area/East Tennessee and Atlanta where Kroger operates many stores.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:08 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,950,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I have. I travel weekly and was in Jacksonville this past weekend in fact. Stores are average even in their home market. You may not have been deeper into central Florida where they have a huge number of ugly, old, smelly stores?
Uhh I'm in Central Florida and most of the WD's within a 25 mile radius of my house are either already remodeled, being remodeled, or were never a problem store to begin with and will be getting the overhaul last. WD is not perfect, but the new stores are as nice as Publix and certainly better than most of the Bi-Lo's I shopped at in Spartanburg.

http://www2.tbo.com/mgmedia/image/0/...ront-facade-4/

http://supermarketnews.com/photogall...xie/SNWD06.jpg

http://www2.tbo.com/mgmedia/image/0/...0/img-5807jpg/

Old 12-19-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I am wondering also about Lone Star putting together a stronger company to get better price to sell it to a company like Kroger. BI-LO has apparently been for sale all this time but Lone Star just hasn't gotten the right price. They had an agreement with Delhaize (Food lion parent) a few years ago to acquire BILO but it fell through. I thought Kroger would be very interested and eventually acquire BI-LO because there would be very little overlap in markets since most of BILOs stores are in South Carolina and the Chattanooga area. Kroger only has a couple of stores each in Columbia and Myrtle Beach and none in the Chattanooga area. Getting Bi-lo would have filled in a big gap for Kroger between Knoxville area/East Tennessee and Atlanta where Kroger operates many stores.
I'm pretty sure LoneStar gave Bi-Lo new cash flow and took the company off the "for sale" market after they emerged from bankruptcy. Hopefully if Kroger did try and buy Bi-Lo, that plan would fall through also.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:25 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,613,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I'm pretty sure LoneStar gave Bi-Lo new cash flow and took the company off the "for sale" market after they emerged from bankruptcy. Hopefully if Kroger did try and buy Bi-Lo, that plan would fall through also.
The equity firm may sell the company or set it up for an IPO, I doubt they will keep it long term. I have not seen (and will not see) any numbers but, the combined company could be a more attractive takeover candidate with WD. The new entity should get better pricing from vendors with a larger footprint. However, they are competing with some very large companies in Wal Mart, Target, Pubix & Kroger.

The interesting thing is that the new (top) management structure is not 100% in place. While not unique, the CEO is usually confirmed when the deal is announced to begin integration. This may have been put together too fast....not sure. It is an interesting deal, should be fun to watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area