Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2024, 05:18 PM

1,949 posts, read 2,765,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
It may have to do more with not having to deal with panhandlers that walk up and down that road coming in and loitering in the dining room and restrooms. I have noticed it and even been approached before for money going into the Ingle's next door. I have seen people going under that bridge over the train tracks next door. Sadly, probably a homeless camp underneath at times.
The homeless around Cherrydale is getting out of hand. They solicit money at almost every location in the area. They walk across the busy highways too. At night, you have to be extra careful. They all wear black and will run in front of your car. It is almost as if they want to be hit. We go to Furman basketball home games at night and now have to go the back way to avoid the Cherrydale intersection. This might be the reason most of those businesses want to be annexed into the city of Greenville, for extra police protection. Forgive me for asking, but how can these poor folks beg for money while smoking expensive cigarettes. How do they afford to smoke?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 01:32 PM

428 posts, read 364,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
The homeless around Cherrydale is getting out of hand. They solicit money at almost every location in the area. They walk across the busy highways too. At night, you have to be extra careful. They all wear black and will run in front of your car. It is almost as if they want to be hit. We go to Furman basketball home games at night and now have to go the back way to avoid the Cherrydale intersection. This might be the reason most of those businesses want to be annexed into the city of Greenville, for extra police protection. Forgive me for asking, but how can these poor folks beg for money while smoking expensive cigarettes. How do they afford to smoke?
Always amuses me when people in Greenville complain about the homeless, the traffic, the influx of new people etc. Seems like many of the citizens want a city without all the problems that come with a city. Are you inspecting their cigarettes to see what brand and how expensive they are? Are you surveying them to see exactly how much money they made from panhandling in order to get smokes? I guess we can just round them up and dump them at the county line, right?

Old 02-21-2024, 01:53 PM

1,949 posts, read 2,765,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
Always amuses me when people in Greenville complain about the homeless, the traffic, the influx of new people etc. Seems like many of the citizens want a city without all the problems that come with a city. Are you inspecting their cigarettes to see what brand and how expensive they are? Are you surveying them to see exactly how much money they made from panhandling in order to get smokes? I guess we can just round them up and dump them at the county line, right?
Just for the record, I am not complaining about the homeless, the traffic or the influx of new people. I am only pointing out there are a lot of homeless in the Cherrydale area, and it is dangerous to drive through. I haved lived in Greenville my entire life. I love the influx of new people. As for traffic, ours is great compared to other cities our size. I have no complaints.

As for the cigarettes, all are expensive. I volunteered at a free medical clinic, so I saw the issues first hand. The homeless will always be with us. I think Greenville is doing the best it can to manage them. I was only pointing out they seem to be causing safety issues around Cherrydale. That is all I was saying. Nothing else. Nothing more.

Old 02-21-2024, 02:51 PM

131 posts, read 78,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post

Quitting smoking won't give even remotely close to enough extra income to solve a homeless person's problems. Not to mention that it would probably cost them more money to quit smoking considering most people replace cigarettes with eating since nicotine is an appetite suppressant.

Old 02-21-2024, 07:04 PM

5,168 posts, read 7,380,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
Quitting smoking won't give even remotely close to enough extra income to solve a homeless person's problems. Not to mention that it would probably cost them more money to quit smoking considering most people replace cigarettes with eating since nicotine is an appetite suppressant.
In larger cities where the homeless pose more of a problem, the preferred term is now "the unhoused." But issues such as panhandling, theft, and public urination and defication are more prevalent and apparently tolerated.

Old 02-22-2024, 08:18 AM

131 posts, read 78,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
In larger cities where the homeless pose more of a problem, the preferred term is now "the unhoused." But issues such as panhandling, theft, and public urination and defication are more prevalent and apparently tolerated.

There are pros and cons to everything in life. One of the cons to being a larger city is a higher cost of living, which comes with more unhoused people due to more and more people being unable to afford housing. It's a systemic issue and will require a systemic solution to solve it.

Old 02-27-2024, 06:43 PM

131 posts, read 102,396 times
Went by the Sonic on Woodruff Road last night. Definitely closed now.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:03 AM

5,168 posts, read 7,380,227 times
Another big round of closures has been announced by Macy's. But I would suspect the Haywood store may remain safe again as it has historically been a good performer and the only location in the Upstate. Columbia, not so sure, as they are in the dead mall, although they own their building there.

Apparently they are planning to expand their more upscale Bloomingdale's division, and develop smaller prototype Macy's stores. Possibly in Charlotte the Macy's at SouthPark could convert to Bloomingdale's, as they have previously sought a store there but had no space available. Leaving the other Macy's in Charlotte at Northlake.

But the conversion of regional brands such as Rich's and Hecht's to Macy's has not necessarily proven successful as customers may have preferred the legacy nameplates.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:08 AM

17,616 posts, read 15,317,330 times
apparently Bee Bee's on Laurens Rd is no more.

Old 02-28-2024, 02:47 PM

131 posts, read 102,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
apparently Bee Bee's on Laurens Rd is no more.
I'm surprised they closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area