Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 10:07 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,814,818 times

Advertisements

I vowed a while back that I would try to avoid Woodruff Road on a Saturday. You're just asking for frustration. Fortunately, all of the Greenville metro area is not like that. For the most part, driving is a pleasure here (at least for those of us who came from large metro areas like I did).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 08:38 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,022,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
I vowed a while back that I would try to avoid Woodruff Road on a Saturday. You're just asking for frustration. Fortunately, all of the Greenville metro area is not like that. For the most part, driving is a pleasure here (at least for those of us who came from large metro areas like I did).
I agree. Naturally Saturday afternoon/early evening is going to be the busiest time. If I need anything from any of the stores I go before noon on Saturday or closer to closing time. No problem. City leaders really need to encourage some of these retailers to build 2nd stores close to downtown and on the northern side of the county. Offering incentives to them to do that would be cheaper than new road construction and also create more jobs.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:10 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,993 times
I too was stuck in the parking lot. Unfortunately me and my girlfriend had to go because Saturday afternoons is the only time we had all week together and she wanted to pick out an anniversary outfit... with my help.

We live off Roper Mountain near Garlington so took Garlington down to Woodruff and waited four lights to turn left onto Woodruff. Made our way down to the light where you get into Kohl's and she didn't find anything there so we headed toward Greenridge. It wasn't too too bad heading that way and it was simple enough to turn into the entrance by Mimi's.

The hardest part there was finding a parking spot. Every single one in the back was taken and we parked by BuyBuybaby (I think that's the name of it) and I told her we would have to walk. She thought I was crazy but no one tried to hit us this time.

The we headed down to Magnolia Park to look at Old Navy and other stores down there (though we didn't have much hope) and it was okay getting there from Greenridge. To get back home we went the easiest way, out the exit by Cheddar's and take a right with another right onto Roper Mountain Road.

Of course she made me do all the driving in this haha.

I'm really hoping they can rework Roper Mountain and Garlington Roads because they already become gridlocked randomly 2:30-6:30 making it impossible to escape the traffic. Roper Mountain should be widened or at the very least they need a turning median all the way down it. It wouldn't hurt for Garlington to have one either but Garlington definitely needs to be widened from Roper Mountain to Woodruff. Frontage Road behind Greenridge should also be reworked to somehow connect to Greenridge (maybe connect between Dick's and the office store?)

Old 02-12-2012, 12:51 PM

745 posts, read 2,233,560 times
We were on Woodruff Friday around lunch time- it was pretty slow, but didn't take all that long to get through. I think a lot of people go to lunch on Friday, and many get out of work early. By contrast, we were down town yesterday on Main St., and it wasn't bad at all- even found a place to park easily. You folks have NO idea what traffic is. Our last trip to DC, we sat in traffic for 2 hours, and I've heard LA is worse yet (never been there; never want to).

Old 02-12-2012, 01:12 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,775,270 times
This is why I can't get excited when someone posts about some new business coming on Woodruff Rd....enough growth there already.

Only time it's bearable to travel on Woodruff is after midnight.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:26 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,533,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie View Post
If you can, get on Roper Mountain Road, which parallels Woodruff and go that way. That's what I do.
At 4:00 yesterday afternoon, I made the mistake of trying to turn right onto Roper Mtn from Congaree (at Strossner's) and got stuck in the "parking lot." The two left turn lanes from Roper Mtn to Woodruff were so backed up, it took several cycles of the light to even get onto Roper Mtn. I ended cutting through Jeff Lynch's real parking lot and went back the way I came.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:46 PM

125 posts, read 206,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgargoyle View Post
We were on Woodruff Friday around lunch time- it was pretty slow, but didn't take all that long to get through. I think a lot of people go to lunch on Friday, and many get out of work early. By contrast, we were down town yesterday on Main St., and it wasn't bad at all- even found a place to park easily. You folks have NO idea what traffic is. Our last trip to DC, we sat in traffic for 2 hours, and I've heard LA is worse yet (never been there; never want to).
I believe we know what traffic is...I believe that sitting for 2 hours in traffic in DC is the same as sitting for 120 minutes in Greenville. Traffic can be aggravating no matter where it is...the fact that some choose to be surprised by it or complain about it is a different matter. If my drive is going to take me down Woodruff rd., I plan accordingly; allowing extra time to get to my destination. I have relatives and friends in other places such as Atlanta, DC and LA and hear the same complaints from them. As others have mentioned: find alternate locations or routes (where possible) to minimize impact. Otherwise, pop in a language CD and use your time effectively...maybe you can learn to speak a second language while atascado en el traffico.

You may now better understand the quote from Yogi Berra, "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

Last edited by iRighti; 02-12-2012 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: add quote

Old 02-12-2012, 03:11 PM

684 posts, read 1,186,866 times
I still keep an emergency cup in my car from when I had to drive to work in DC.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:28 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohtalim View Post
I still keep an emergency cup in my car from when I had to drive to work in DC.
Lol! Good idea.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:28 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,760,501 times
The easiest route to the Greenridge part of Woodruff Road is to go through Verdae, or the road that goes by ICAR and the TD Bank headquarters. It takes you between the Whole Foods shopping center and Cracker Barrel. You will miss all of the traffic. It's a breeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area