Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 05:41 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times

Advertisements

I agree 100% with you. Unfortunately, there is very little money available from the SCDOT for improvement projects such as widening Woodruff Road and adding connector roads along it. This is due to the gas tax in SC being one of the lowest in the country and it not being raised since 1987. This is one of the many reasons why I support raising the state gas tax myself no matter how expensive a gallon of gas becomes.

Last edited by g-man430; 03-03-2012 at 05:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 05:41 AM

470 posts, read 595,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I agree 100% with you. Unfortunately, there is very little money available from the SCDOT for improvement projects such as widening Woodruff Road and adding connector roads along it. This is due to the gas tax in SC being one of the lowest in the country and it not being raised since 1987. This is one of the many reasons why I support raising the state gas tax myself no matter how expensive a gallon of gas becomes.
Come on now G-Man you support an increase in the gas tax! I suggest you move to NY. You'll feel right at home with my "buddy" Chuck "I never met a tax I didn't like" Schumer. The funny part is you even know what the right answer is but somehow think that "we" should pay for the improvements!

Quote:
And don't forget that new businesses add to the tax base and increase revenue for the city or county also.
Think before you tax!

Old 03-04-2012, 08:38 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar1 View Post
The funny part is you even know what the right answer is but somehow think that "we" should pay for the improvements!
How are these improvement projects supposed to get built and paid for unless consumers are willing to pay more for them? What is your suggestion or the "right" answer?

Old 03-04-2012, 10:32 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,378,718 times
Quote:
An official from the SCDOT years ago said widening Woodruff Road beyond its current capacity would be impossible because additional right-of-way space was limited and had become too expensive.

Edit to add: I don't think raising taxes to widen Woodruff Road is a good idea. We should work on ways to eliminate unsustainable sprawl, not pay to encourage more of the same, in my opinion.

Last edited by Skyliner; 03-04-2012 at 10:45 AM..

Old 03-04-2012, 10:55 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,319 times
Could a special sales tax district be set up for constructing roads parallel to Woodruff?

Old 03-04-2012, 05:59 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Could a special sales tax district be set up for constructing roads parallel to Woodruff?
This is what I am saying. I don't want Woodruff any wider. Some turning lanes/better lights are needed at some intersections. Roads that run into Woodruff could be widened or something. Roads behind shopping centers could be built to have access without even going on Woodruff. A lot could be done if someone with half a brain could be a little creative. Widening Woodruff would be the opposite of what you would want to do. People would just try to cross all three lanes of traffic to get to the median to turn into somewhere else. That would be a disaster waiting to happen.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:30 PM

24 posts, read 42,711 times
Construct a bypass going from verde to hwy 14 and turn woodruff into a 1 way road
Better yet, turn woodruff into a toll road!

Old 03-05-2012, 07:36 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times
Something needs to be done about the density of traffic lights at certain points (esp. the stretch between Costco and I-385). That stretch of road is just plain dysfunctional. There is simply no flow to traffic, not necessarily because of the number of cars, but because of all the lights, or the lack of coordination of signals. There has to be a way to redirect traffic somehow and have fewer intersections with traffic lights.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:40 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,378,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Something needs to be done about the density of traffic lights at certain points (esp. the stretch between Costco and I-385). That stretch of road is just plain dysfunctional. There is simply no flow to traffic, not necessarily because of the number of cars, but because of all the lights, or the lack of coordination of signals. There has to be a way to redirect traffic somehow and have fewer intersections with traffic lights.
There is a better way. It involves placing a raised median where the current center "2-way turning lane" allows vehicles to cross on-coming traffic. A better option is to designate specific crossing points (ideally positioned at traffic lights) and eliminate the ability to cross at any point. This would enable more predictable traffic patterns, which would assist the improvement of traffic light coordination along the corridor. Drivers would be restricted from crossing on-coming traffic (turning left) without a traffic signal.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:05 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,942 times
I seem to remember reading a thread a year or more ago about moving the woodruff road 85 exit @ the shops at greenridge? to me this seems like the most viable/easiest option, it would create wayyyy less traffic/accidents in that area. probably not the end of traffic on woodruff rd, but at least a step in the right direction?

Although, with a marshalls, kohls, academy sports and a petsmart(or was it petco?) moving in to easley town center, I won't be braving that section of woodruff rd near as much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area