Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:14 AM

298 posts, read 686,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojones View Post
Simple Topic!

We all know there's a problem with Teen's gathering, getting so bored and attentive to one another, they begin fighting.

But lets be clear, FIGHTING IS NORMAL. Who did not fight as a kid on this board? Fought with your bro/sis/friends. However, maybe not everyone got caught. Some probably would fear the reprecussions of fighting in public BUT none-the-less , did we all not fight at some point? Did most not WANT to fight someone?

Now. Since we can have a laugh at those Youthful memoriesthat were once 'badges of courage' orrrrrr 'embarrasment' LOL Lets talk about improving our community.

What do you think Teens Could Use to Help Curtail the violence and distract kids attention when they go out?

There's nearly 2 million in the Upstate Metro. There's people of all colors / nationalities that fight. Ignore the normal "arguers" of this board and Ignore the people who turn this into a racial thing

I got a few Private Messages thanking me for changing the normal pace of this board and I'm ready to give it some more great posts. ( Thanks and You're Welcome to Those Supporting )

I think we need.
- Amusement Park(s)
- Skate Parks
- More Funding for Student-Chosen after school activity
- Greenville Needs a more 'current' arcade venue. Jillians / D&B style.
- I think it would be cool to put some major artist concerts in middle of the Greenville's downtown baseball games to attract youth w/ proper security measures

Since fighting is normal ..... I think we need ................ FIGHT CLUB!

Just remember .... The 1st rule of Fight Club ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 12:48 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,299 times
Quote:
We all know there's a problem with Teen's gathering, getting so bored and attentive to one another, they begin fighting.

But lets be clear, FIGHTING IS NORMAL. Who did not fight as a kid on this board?
I went through my entire teen years without ever once witnessing a fight. We must have been abnormal.

Quote:
What do you think Teens Could Use to Help Curtail the violence and distract kids attention when they go out?
Parents.

Seriously. If kids constantly need to be "distracted" from fighting, something is wrong.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:33 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,137,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizzza View Post
If I would have ever told my parents that I was "bored" - I would have been sent next door to cut the neighbors yard (if I hadn't already done ours).

I really, really have a hard time getting behind the take/consumer/user mentality. Don't get me wrong - there's a time and place for fun, etc. But if we're trying to shape youth and turn them into productive, responsible adults - an arcade is not where that's going to be formed.

What would be wonderful is having a community center where there are leaders within the community donating their time to foster relationships with kids (and I am talking to myself here). And teaching our kids to give back to the community.

I'm rambling a bit - and my thoughts are all over the place - but hopefully the gist is there.
Why should a politician have to do what the parents of these punks not do?

Old 04-16-2012, 10:23 PM

57 posts, read 141,957 times
What we have here is a failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

Old 04-17-2012, 01:27 AM

144 posts, read 295,950 times
Default This! is a spectacular idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
I tell you what to do. You go down to the bridge next Saturday night and tell them you want them to play some softball. Come back and tell us what they said.

Everyone who is under the impression that this is Beaver Cleaver, or Arnald and his big brother Willis bored and getting up to shenanigans are just being silly and should really just go be a part of the fun for the night. Engage them with good intentions and forward thinking ideas and be prepared to be showered with adoration.

Honestly, I have no problem with Thugs. I grew up the only white kid in my neighborhood from about the age of 5-8. I would rather play basketball with drug dealers than Baptist any day. One on one there is rarely a problem, or even if its in a small group. People are people when they are allowed to be individuals but what goes on downtown on Saturday night is a totally different thing. It is a mob mentality and people do not act as individuals. You get a mob of any kind of people together and crazy things are possible. Make that group teenagers. Make that group teenagers who grew up in rough neighborhoods where crime is not that abnormal and it really is a time bomb.

If this group showed up to an amusement park they would have to shut it down. If they came to an arcade for teens, there would be violence. The only solution is to prevent the mob and the mob mentality.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:10 AM

121 posts, read 244,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
Why should a politician have to do what the parents of these punks not do?
Actually - politicians were not what I was thinking about when I wrote this. Ideally, perfect world, it WOULD be the parents.

I was thinking more along the lines of business owners, diversified religious people - but you know what - scratch the phrase "community leaders". How about just people who have a caring heart : )

Old 04-17-2012, 12:00 PM

374 posts, read 833,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttown View Post
Everyone who is under the impression that this is Beaver Cleaver, or Arnald and his big brother Willis bored and getting up to shenanigans are just being silly and should really just go be a part of the fun for the night. Engage them with good intentions and forward thinking ideas and be prepared to be showered with adoration.

Honestly, I have no problem with Thugs. I grew up the only white kid in my neighborhood from about the age of 5-8. I would rather play basketball with drug dealers than Baptist any day. One on one there is rarely a problem, or even if its in a small group. People are people when they are allowed to be individuals but what goes on downtown on Saturday night is a totally different thing. It is a mob mentality and people do not act as individuals. You get a mob of any kind of people together and crazy things are possible. Make that group teenagers. Make that group teenagers who grew up in rough neighborhoods where crime is not that abnormal and it really is a time bomb.

If this group showed up to an amusement park they would have to shut it down. If they came to an arcade for teens, there would be violence. The only solution is to prevent the mob and the mob mentality.
Thanks for the no Bull Hockey veiw. It's a cultural down fall....period.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:03 AM

609 posts, read 1,619,700 times
Greenville did not have these problems until the economy became stagnant.

Anyone who's lived in Greenville over 20 years should know this.

When McCallister SQ closed, that was the beginning of the city's fall from it's once prominent and vigorous growth.

Small minds are impressed with "tomorrow's city" talk in my opinion.

And yes, fighting is normal. Even the bible says this, since the beginning of time. However, I know most will be hipocrites and heathens , denying this until their last drop.

Either way, No sin greater than the next right?

Old 04-21-2012, 07:38 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,375,819 times
Quote:
When McCallister SQ closed, that was the beginning of the city's fall from it's once prominent and vigorous growth.

Small minds are impressed with "tomorrow's city" talk in my opinion.
McAlister Square closed because it was an old and dying mall. I believe its fate was sealed when Uptons finally closed. The death of that mall coincided with the emergence of Downtown as the city's hotspot of new growth and revitalization. Downtown's commercial and entertainment success far exceeds that of McAlister Square in its hayday. Haywood Mall has remained strong over the years, even with Downtown's recent success. To say that Greenville's economy is stagnant is to declare yourself a fool. Small minds are impressed with yesterday's city.

For anyone wondering what happened to the McAlister Square after it died, it is now home to the University Center of Greenville.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:43 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,939,418 times
Quote:
Greenville did not have these problems until the economy became stagnant.
Nationwide, teen unemployment is at its highest rate since 1948 and I'd be surprised if things are different in Greenville:

Unemployment rate: Recovery leaves teens behind - CSMonitor.com

You might have economic growth going on in Greenville, but if adults are competing for teen jobs and automation of traditional teen jobs like grocery baggers is increasing, you're still going to have fewer opportunities for teens.

Last edited by Vasily; 04-21-2012 at 07:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
View detailed profiles of: