Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 12:16 PM

609 posts, read 1,621,265 times

Advertisements

Simple Topic!

We all know there's a problem with Teen's gathering, getting so bored and attentive to one another, they begin fighting.

But lets be clear, FIGHTING IS NORMAL. Who did not fight as a kid on this board? Fought with your bro/sis/friends. However, maybe not everyone got caught. Some probably would fear the reprecussions of fighting in public BUT none-the-less , did we all not fight at some point? Did most not WANT to fight someone?

Now. Since we can have a laugh at those Youthful memoriesthat were once 'badges of courage' orrrrrr 'embarrasment' LOL Lets talk about improving our community.

What do you think Teens Could Use to Help Curtail the violence and distract kids attention when they go out?

There's nearly 2 million in the Upstate Metro. There's people of all colors / nationalities that fight. Ignore the normal "arguers" of this board and Ignore the people who turn this into a racial thing

I got a few Private Messages thanking me for changing the normal pace of this board and I'm ready to give it some more great posts. ( Thanks and You're Welcome to Those Supporting )

I think we need.
- Amusement Park(s)
- Skate Parks
- More Funding for Student-Chosen after school activity
- Greenville Needs a more 'current' arcade venue. Jillians / D&B style.
- I think it would be cool to put some major artist concerts in middle of the Greenville's downtown baseball games to attract youth w/ proper security measures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 01:22 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,140,533 times
These hoods are not going to any of the functions you mentioned. They and their parents need to do jail time.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:25 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,951,503 times
If there's little for kids to do, they'll get bored. Bored kids get into trouble. The "hoods" won't go to these activities, but the majority of kids aren't committed hoods. Unfortunately, people will do things in groups they won't do alone ... to defuse the influence of the "hoods" you need to provide alternatives to the bored kids who might otherwise look to the "hoods" for leadership and become hangers-on or wannabes. This will isolate the "hoods" and they'll no longer have big crowds to hide in.

I'd say you want to encourage as a community commercial ventures coming to Greenville (like Jillian's and D&B's), as well as investing in your park district. Our park district provides teens not only with a lot of activities to participate in, but also an opportunity to help as volunteers.

BTW, yes, I'm an outsider but we've had similar problems here in the Chicago suburbs ... and I hope to be moving to Greenville in the future (hence my interest in the topic).

Old 04-14-2012, 03:51 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,099,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
If there's little for kids to do, they'll get bored. Bored kids get into trouble. The "hoods" won't go to these activities, but the majority of kids aren't committed hoods. Unfortunately, people will do things in groups they won't do alone ... to defuse the influence of the "hoods" you need to provide alternatives to the bored kids who might otherwise look to the "hoods" for leadership and become hangers-on or wannabes. This will isolate the "hoods" and they'll no longer have big crowds to hide in.

I'd say you want to encourage as a community commercial ventures coming to Greenville (like Jillian's and D&B's), as well as investing in your park district. Our park district provides teens not only with a lot of activities to participate in, but also an opportunity to help as volunteers.

BTW, yes, I'm an outsider but we've had similar problems here in the Chicago suburbs ... and I hope to be moving to Greenville in the future (hence my interest in the topic).
I think, we as outsiders, support these things because we've experienced the difference in areas that we have lived. It is a positive experience. If kids are bored, they will find things to do and many times it maybe negative/bad things. Give them a positive thing to occupy their time and they will be less likely to get in trouble.

I do agree, there will always be the group of bad apples but not all teenagers/young adults are bad. It can't hurt to try to make an improvement with these additions. Try it and lets see what happens, you maybe pleasantly surprised. Remember, you used to be a kid and I know I loved to do these things when I was a kid and I'm sure kids would agree.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:08 PM

24 posts, read 42,741 times
Have the schools require 60-80 hours of community service every year to pass each grade after 5th. Instant free labor force to cleanup up the areas that need it. Maybe they could help build a few parks or do some low income housing construction... simple area beautification programs... maybe converting into a co-op opportunity for some kids?

Seems like a simple solution.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:22 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,560,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojones View Post
I think we need.
Jobs, or military camps. In other words, forced labor -- or they go back to school. If there are no jobs, let them serve their communities. They can pick up litter, clean up the yards of elderly. Heck, I can think of all kinds of things to put them to work doing.

After it is all said and done, summers were never for play. They were to allow kids to help their families bring in the crops. Those days are gone, but my mother didn't run out of chores for my free time.

Homework is always good, too. It doesn't seem that most of our youth are overly prepared scholastically.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:37 PM

11,710 posts, read 24,822,897 times
Tell them to get a job. Problem solved.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:46 PM

609 posts, read 1,621,265 times
everyone is doing GREAT ignoring the ignorance . Continue with the Good Ideas

I think we need some outdoor sports leagues sponsored by the city that will give kids more pride development

Old 04-15-2012, 05:12 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,140,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojones View Post
everyone is doing GREAT ignoring the ignorance . Continue with the Good Ideas

I think we need some outdoor sports leagues sponsored by the city that will give kids more pride development
I tell you what to do. You go down to the bridge next Saturday night and tell them you want them to play some softball. Come back and tell us what they said.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:21 PM

121 posts, read 244,912 times
If I would have ever told my parents that I was "bored" - I would have been sent next door to cut the neighbors yard (if I hadn't already done ours).

I really, really have a hard time getting behind the take/consumer/user mentality. Don't get me wrong - there's a time and place for fun, etc. But if we're trying to shape youth and turn them into productive, responsible adults - an arcade is not where that's going to be formed.

What would be wonderful is having a community center where there are leaders within the community donating their time to foster relationships with kids (and I am talking to myself here). And teaching our kids to give back to the community.

I'm rambling a bit - and my thoughts are all over the place - but hopefully the gist is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
View detailed profiles of: