Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 6,620 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I am with a General Contractor that is coming to Anderson, SC to build the new Michelin Tires plant. The address is 1 Bib Way, Anderson, SC. I want to live in Downtown Greenville but yahoo maps is saying it is a 45 minute drive, is this correct? If so it is probably too long of a drive. I'd be willing to go 35 minutes but anything more may be too much. Is there any areas in Southwest Greenville or Clemson that a 28 year old single male could have a good time in. I like to go out quite a bit and have lived in Downtown areas for the past 10 years. I will be in the area for 18 months starting this July.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 08:51 PM

800 posts, read 1,464,399 times
Yep, 45 minutes sounds about right...the plant site is on the south side of Anderson, which is on the other side of town from Greenville.

Having said that...for a couple years, I made the commute the other direction, living in Anderson and working in downtown Greenville. It really wasn't too bad.

Clemson is a pretty neat area, but I'm not sure if the all-college-all-the-time scene is what you're after.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:59 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,546,943 times
Trust me, the drive from downtown Greenville to that area would be a l-o-n-g drive. If you're not sure if you wanna stay here once that job is done, or don't plan to regardless, I'd say just go ahead and move nearby. It wouldn't make sense to me to live in a completely different city than where I work, especially when it's going to be less than two years.

Why not try Huntington Apartments? It's on Michelin Blvd near 28 By-Pass and so is on a direct route to the work site. It's also close to gas, food, shopping, and more. Hampton Greene is also an excellent choice. The apartments are not even a year old and very nice, but one bedrooms are in the 400-500 range and nicely hidden away not even a quarter mile from 28 ByPass or Whitner Street and just as short a drive to your job or any dining/entertainment you need.

I could help you with some possible other areas if you're interested, depending on the particular criteria you're looking for. Feel free to ask me.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:02 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,844,961 times
I live in Easley SC, about 35-40 minutes tops from Anderson, 10-15 minutes from Greenville. I would look at parts of Easley, Powdersville, or Piedmont if you are looking to be in between your job and Greenville.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:10 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
I live in Easley SC, about 35-40 minutes tops from Anderson, 10-15 minutes from Greenville. I would look at parts of Easley, Powdersville, or Piedmont if you are looking to be in between your job and Greenville.
Ditto - those are the smartest areas for you to look in.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
And yet all of those will put him at the maximum or over driving range that he's looking at. Not to mention, you're making comparisons based on getting to Anderson proper and not to the specific location he's talking about which is south of Anderson technically in the Starr area because of SC annexation law. Not that these are bad areas to live, but not everyone likes spending a noticable portion of their day commuting.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 6,620 times
Thanks... I really do appreciate the posts. I think I'm gonna do Clemson. It's 20 miles from the site. I'll probably be the oldest dude on campus at 28, but I think I'm ok with that. Any advice more specific to the Clemson area??

Last edited by cwturn22; 04-27-2012 at 01:52 PM..

Old 04-27-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
And yet all of those will put him at the maximum or over driving range that he's looking at. Not to mention, you're making comparisons based on getting to Anderson proper and not to the specific location he's talking about which is south of Anderson technically in the Starr area because of SC annexation law. Not that these are bad areas to live, but not everyone likes spending a noticable portion of their day commuting.
Argue much? I was giving him cities that are nice to live in and close to amenities, and between Greenville and Anderson.

If you have other ideas feel free to post them, the poster identified his max drive time as 35 minutes with an interest in being NEAR Greenville, i recommended some options.

Last edited by NoodlesKnowles; 04-27-2012 at 06:11 PM..

Old 04-27-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Argue much? I was giving him cities that are nice to live in and close to amenities, and between Greenville and Anderson.

If you have other ideas feel free to post them, the poster identified his max drive time as 35 minutes with an interest in being NEAR Greenville, i recommended some options.
It wasn't about arguing, just trying to offer the most logical choice. He said he wouldn't want to drive more than 35 minutes, and coming from anywhere in Easley or Piedmont or almost anywhere but in Anderson County or a narrow part of Pickens county will be all of that or more.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
It wasn't about arguing, just trying to offer the most logical choice. He said he wouldn't want to drive more than 35 minutes, and coming from anywhere in Easley or Piedmont or almost anywhere but in Anderson County or a narrow part of Pickens county will be all of that or more.
Powdersville is in Anderson county, so is Pickens, these are part of the options I provided. aanyone can easily google an address to find commute time. Where I live in Easley would be about 45 minutes from 1 Bib way, so i have to assume being closer to 85 on hwy 8 or 153 would cut that time down. Again I was supplying options, sorry if you felt those options were misleading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area