Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 07:03 PM

422 posts, read 486,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Okay, I'll flip it around. Redefining marriage to fit an agenda is Anti-Taditional Marriage. You want to redefine marriage. There is no way to get around that. As for your other insults, you yet again prove my point about hateful leftists. For some reason you guys are virtually incapable of making a point without insulting the other person.

Redefining marriage? There has never been a single definition of marriage. It means different things to different people and cultures throughout the history of humans. It's evolving not stationary. That's a fact that "traditional marriage" loons don't want to accept. Depending on what era you lived in marriage was simply about economics and power. It was something done to consolidate power and build alliances. In other eras, women were seen as simply as property of the husband, in other eras marriage was forbidden against people of different races. So which definition of marriage are you referring to?

And what insults have I've lobbied at you? I just said I wouldn't be fond of you as a person. If that makes me a "hateful leftists" then I have been called worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 07:05 PM

I really wish people would look up what free speech is. People choosing not to spend money at CFA, people and media groups not agreeing with CFA's CEO is not a violation of free speech.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:12 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddaVisser View Post
I really wish people would look up what free speech is. People choosing not to spend money at CFA, people and media groups not agreeing with CFA's CEO is not a violation of free speech.
If people don't want to eat at Chick-Fil-A because of how they stand on issues then that's their right. I'm not gonna hold them against it. I respect their opinion also.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:22 PM

477 posts, read 840,792 times
@Sophiasmommy:
If only you had the power today to ban gay marriage, would you do it?

Old 08-01-2012, 07:28 PM

5,487 posts, read 8,318,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
My wedding wasn't religious. And marriage isn't a ceremony. It's a contract between two people.

And my marriage license, a contract recognized by the government, has absolutely nothing to do with religion. That would violate the US Constitution.
Are you denying that the idea and foundation of marriage did indeed come from religion? Contract came way behind the idea of marriage. Does domestic partnership not give the same rights?

Old 08-01-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Marriage is not a religious ceremony. If that were the case then atheists and other non-religious people couldn't get married. The fact is religion did not invent the concept of marriage. And when religious people particularly Christians understand that the world can move on with this silly notion that marriage is some sacred religious act.

What's also ridiculous is that "traditional" marriage is between 1 man and 1 woman. Which traditional definition? The one in the Old and New Testament allowing a man to have multiple wives? The one where if a man rapes a woman he has to marry her? Or the one where he owns her as property? The one where if he dies, she has to marry his brother? The one where blacks and whites can't marry each other?
Blacks and whites can make children together. I knew it wouldn't be long before someone said this. I'm out.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Are you denying that the idea and foundation of marriage did indeed come from religion? Contract came way behind the idea of marriage. Does domestic partnership not give the same rights?

Religion did not invent the concept and foundation of marriage. The concept of marriage predates recorded human history. Furthermore, the word marriage comes from the French not any religious institution.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:36 PM

843 posts, read 1,431,557 times
Quote:
But that is the thing redcliffe they currently do not have the same rights. I'm all for the government issuing only civil union licenses. I don't think they should be in the marriage business period. A civil union would be between ANY two consenting adults. It can be confirmed by an official of the state or minister (or their preferred religions equivalent). If a religion doesn't want to perform same sex unions in their house of worship, so be it.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Blacks and whites can make children together. I knew it wouldn't be long before someone said this. I'm out.

You do realize not everyone is capable of reproduction nor wants to reproduce? So come with something better than that. Regardless the point is people were denied the right to marry over something as trivial as the color of their skin.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Religion did not invent the concept and foundation of marriage. The concept of marriage predates recorded human history. Furthermore, the word marriage comes from the French not any religious institution.
It is what it is. Like I said, I'm out. It's a waste of time and air to continue this debate that won't end anyways. In the end, the owner can believe whatever he wants. Just don't eat there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area