Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 12:11 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,917,963 times

Advertisements

Why doesn't the Spartenburg government ask the BMW plant to make up the
difference in cost that they can't afford?
Why not?
They make money in Spartenburg, and their employees use the
roads, and so does the company.
If local and State government can't afford to fix the roads,
the major companies in the area will have to pay for it.
Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 12:15 PM

212 posts, read 423,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scme5 View Post
I'm originally from one of those states with a high gas tax (Connecticut) and the roads there are terrible. Higher taxes does not equal better service, it's not that simple. These state departments are bloated and need to be streamlined to deliver a better product for tax payers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrocker View Post
True, I grew up in Illinois, and the roads were and are awful there.
Of course, northern roads are worse. Since you guys are from the north, you should know that roads in areas that freeze heavily during the winter are harder to maintain. Higher taxes are necessary to at least attempt to keep up with higher expenses.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:33 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,847,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Why doesn't the Spartenburg government ask the BMW plant to make up the
difference in cost that they can't afford?
Why not?
They make money in Spartenburg, and their employees use the
roads, and so does the company.
If local and State government can't afford to fix the roads,
the major companies in the area will have to pay for it.
Right?
Why single out BMW? Every person and every business in Spartanburg uses the roads. And they all pay taxes. If there's not enough tax money, either cut spending or raise taxes.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:28 PM

356 posts, read 677,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneSpecial View Post
Of course, northern roads are worse. Since you guys are from the north, you should know that roads in areas that freeze heavily during the winter are harder to maintain. Higher taxes are necessary to at least attempt to keep up with higher expenses.

Sure of course the cold weather affects the roads, but taxes are higher... much higher and they still can't keep up. I'm all for consumption based taxes and think gas taxes are really some of the fairest out there since everyone pays, but state and federal transportation departments have massive amounts of waste, increased gas taxes should be met with some accountability from the government, they should state there case by first eliminating waste, then if the need is there raise taxes on gas, also a good way to gain funds is better enforcement of speed laws, and higher license registration fees, heavier cars could also have higher sales tax rates, there are creative ways to raise revenues that's all I'm saying. It's not as simple as just raise the gas tax.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:25 PM

477 posts, read 841,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
If you are glad you left the Upstate why are you on here posting all the time about how we need to change?
Freedom of speech.
Nobody needs to justify why they are posting here.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:45 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,546,943 times
Quote:
If you are glad you left the Upstate why are you on here posting all the time about how we need to change?
If you are happy to be in SC, why do you want it to continue to suffer from the same things it has been for the past 60 years?

Oh, and I do as I please, regardless of how you feel.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:46 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,139,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
If you are happy to be in SC, why do you want it to continue to suffer from the same things it has been for the past 60 years?

Oh, and I do as I please, regardless of how you feel.
I do not feel we are suffering except when unhappy people are here complaining. Neither do the thousands of people moving here every year looking for a better life.
Never heard of anyone here retiring and moving North.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:58 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,807,662 times
Quote:
I do not feel we are suffering except when unhappy people are here complaining. Neither do the thousands of people moving here every year looking for a better life.
Never heard of anyone here retiring and moving North.
Agreed. The people in South Carolina are friendly, taxes are low, there is lots to do in each of the three main metro areas, the scenery is beautiful, real estate is reasonably priced, the women are gorgeous...what's there to complain about?

Last edited by g-man430; 08-31-2012 at 07:29 PM..

Old 08-31-2012, 09:48 PM

672 posts, read 1,418,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Agreed. The people in South Carolina are friendly, taxes are low, there is lots to do in each of the three main metro areas, the scenery is beautiful, real estate is reasonably priced, the women are gorgeous...what's there to complain about?
The drivers!

Old 09-01-2012, 04:48 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,139,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrocker View Post
The drivers!
Can't argue that but there seems to be a bunch of idiot drivers everywhere I travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area