Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 08:24 AM

207 posts, read 556,832 times

Advertisements

This has happened twice to me, in two different neighborhoods, with different people. I never buy anything unless it's a boy or girl scout that is clearly dressed in the uniform.

I've had so many teens/young adults come to my door trying to sell something, it's so frustrating! Our neighborhood has a no soliciting sign but it doesn't seem to matter. I actually had a young boy come to my door asking for donations to buy his football uniform--are you kidding??? I have 4 kids, I don't need to be buying someone else's kid's uniform too!

The last straw for me was one some pest control people approached me in my driveway while I was playing with my children and tried to sell me their services. I could not get them to leave, and after about 15 min. when my husband pulled in from work, they finally left. Now I just don't answer the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 11:30 AM

723 posts, read 1,153,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonron View Post
There is a no soliciting sign at the entrance to our subdivision but it doesn't help ,they still go door to door anyway!
I have posted "No Soliciting" signs at the entrance to my driveway AND at my door and yet people STILL come to the door. A couple of weeks ago a woman with a clipboard rang my doorbell and began giving me her pitch about a windshield replacement scam. I pointed out the signs, but she told me they didn't apply to her because she WASN'T SOLICITING! I told her she sure as heck WAS soliciting and that, because I had told her to leave, she was also TRESPASSING. Amazingly, even after three warnings, she still REFUSED to leave, insisting that she didn't have to because she wasn't soliciting. She even said she had a RIGHT to come to my door she was registered with the city (presumably Simpsonville). I told her that - surprise! - she wasn't IN the city, even though that wouldn't have mattered anyway. The woman didn't start to leave until I began advancing upon her menacingly, and even then she only continued moving away when I continued to advance on her.

But that's not the end of the story. Three days later, I pulled into my driveway after work just as two men with clipboards were getting out of a nearby car. One of them walked straight up my driveway and started in on the same windshield replacement pitch. The second man soon arrived and had to take over the spiel because the first guy had such a bad stutter that he could barely complete a sentence. When I demanded that they leave, they ALSO told me that "No Soliciting" signs did not apply to them because they were not soliciting.

Obviously these pathetic creatures are being trained to believe that their "service" doesn't involve soliciting. Scam artists every one of them!

Old 09-13-2012, 06:28 AM

684 posts, read 1,190,136 times
Or just make up an outrageous story like:

"I just got cancer"
"My dad isn't home right now"
"I just got laid off"
"I can't talk now, my fish is drowning"

Works on telemarketers too!

Old 09-13-2012, 06:34 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,620,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohtalim View Post
Or just make up an outrageous story like:
"I can't talk now, my fish is drowning"
LOL - I try not to add short comments just to bump existing threads but this is too funny - I'm going to try this on my next unknowing solicitor

Old 09-14-2012, 10:03 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,086,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricamphibian View Post
I have posted "No Soliciting" signs at the entrance to my driveway AND at my door and yet people STILL come to the door. A couple of weeks ago a woman with a clipboard rang my doorbell and began giving me her pitch about a windshield replacement scam. I pointed out the signs, but she told me they didn't apply to her because she WASN'T SOLICITING! I told her she sure as heck WAS soliciting and that, because I had told her to leave, she was also TRESPASSING. Amazingly, even after three warnings, she still REFUSED to leave, insisting that she didn't have to because she wasn't soliciting. She even said she had a RIGHT to come to my door she was registered with the city (presumably Simpsonville). I told her that - surprise! - she wasn't IN the city, even though that wouldn't have mattered anyway. The woman didn't start to leave until I began advancing upon her menacingly, and even then she only continued moving away when I continued to advance on her.

But that's not the end of the story. Three days later, I pulled into my driveway after work just as two men with clipboards were getting out of a nearby car. One of them walked straight up my driveway and started in on the same windshield replacement pitch. The second man soon arrived and had to take over the spiel because the first guy had such a bad stutter that he could barely complete a sentence. When I demanded that they leave, they ALSO told me that "No Soliciting" signs did not apply to them because they were not soliciting.

Obviously these pathetic creatures are being trained to believe that their "service" doesn't involve soliciting. Scam artists every one of them!
I just can't believe that they would sit there and argue about whether or not they had the right to be there. If it is your property and you are telling them they are not welcome, they need to leave. Period!

Old 09-17-2012, 07:47 AM

347 posts, read 982,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
I just can't believe that they would sit there and argue about whether or not they had the right to be there. If it is your property and you are telling them they are not welcome, they need to leave. Period!
I've had this issue with people who come to my house wanting to talk about Jesus Christ and the Bible. I have a "No Soliciting" sign directly above my doorbell. They want to insist that they aren't soliciting their religion, and I just want them to leave me in peace without an awkward and frustrating encounter at my own home.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:22 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,086,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleEllyn View Post
I've had this issue with people who come to my house wanting to talk about Jesus Christ and the Bible. I have a "No Soliciting" sign directly above my doorbell. They want to insist that they aren't soliciting their religion, and I just want them to leave me in peace without an awkward and frustrating encounter at my own home.
Just answer the door naked with a spatula in one hand, and a butcher knife in the other and nail polish painted on your face. They will leave, and will spread the word to others...

Old 09-17-2012, 02:21 PM

723 posts, read 1,153,697 times
People and organizations continually misinterpret and misrepresent, to their own advantage, both the U.S. Constitution as well as subsequent U.S. Supreme Court (SCOTUS) rulings. The Constitution prevents any government from restricting the right of free speech, religious or otherwise, in public. However, neither the Constitution nor any subsequent SCOTUS opinions have ever restricted the right of a citizen from dictating who can and who cannot enter upon private property, regardless of the purpose.

On June 17, 2002, the Supreme Court ruled in an 8–1 decision that the requirement of an ordinance enacted by the Village of Stratton, Ohio, requiring solicitors to "register" before engaging in door-to-door advocacy violated the First Amendment. However, the Court left in place the remaining provisions of the ordinance, which remain valid and legally enforceable today, including one that explicitly affirmed a citizen's right to post a "no solicitation" or "no trespassing" sign and thereby prevent such canvassers from entering upon the property. Indeed, in a separate opinon on the case, Chief Justice William Rehnquist warns: "[T]oday’s decision may result in less of the door-to-door communication that the Court extols. As the Court recognizes, any homeowner may place a 'No Solicitation' sign on his or her property, and it is a crime to violate that sign. In light of today’s decision depriving Stratton residents of the degree of accountability and safety that the permit requirement provides, more and more residents may decide to place these signs in their yards and cut off door-to-door communication altogether."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area