Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you be voting for Romney or Obama?
Romney 52 53.61%
Obama 45 46.39%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 06:49 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
It did. Remember Ross Perot?

Thank me later.
That's actually when things started to end for a third party hope.

After Ross Perot did so well, the two parties clamped down hard on the rules of the game. They started this Presidential Debate Commission that we have now, which made it much harder for third parties to ever make it into a debate, and therefore much harder for a third party candidate to get any traction in the public discussion of issues. After Perot, the two major parties made a huge power grab, which has gone largely unnoticed.

You're welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 07:50 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,818 times
Ross Perot was willing to spend enormous amounts of his own money funding 30 minute infomercials to get his point across. I think that's a big amount of the reason for his relative success. No other third party candidate has tried that route again.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:44 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Any of you rich folk have dinner with Paul Ryan last night?

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/arti...nclick_check=1

Post your pics here!

Old 10-26-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
It did. Remember Ross Perot?

Thank me later.
I'll thank you when you actually provide useful information.

Third parties has been around since 1832. And no, it wasn't Ross Perot running back then.

Third parties cannot get the recognition or power they need to break apart the two-party system. As more and more people cast their votes for a third party, things could change.

Quote:
The same features of the American system that have encouraged a two-party system also serve to discourage the emergence of third parties. When third parties have emerged in American political history, their successes have been short-lived. In most cases, the issues or ideas championed by third parties have been "stolen" by the candidates of one of the two major parties.
ThisNation.com--What is the history of "third parties" in the United States?

Old 10-26-2012, 11:54 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
My vote is more against Obama rather than for Romney.
I hope you see the change you are looking for if he wins! I believe that no matter who we elect many are going to be disappointed with the administration in place in 4 years. I don't like what the last 3 Republican Presidents have done to this country and I'm sure not about to vote for them this year. They had 8 years to mess us up and its going to take longer than that to fix things. I don't like some of the things Obama has done or not done either but it looks like that is what my vote will be. 3rd party votes are statement only votes and we need more than that this year.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:41 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
As more and more people cast their votes for a third party, things could change.
That has GOT to change - the 2 major parties have an un-Constitutional stranglehold on power (IMO), care for nothing besides retaining their own power, and for all their similarities, they quarrel like spoiled children, all the while leaving nothing but scorched earth in their wake.

No President or party can "create" jobs. But the right environment for business, can unleash jobs and opportunity for everyone who's willing to pursue them.

Last edited by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex; 10-26-2012 at 01:50 PM..

Old 10-26-2012, 03:07 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
That has GOT to change - the 2 major parties have an un-Constitutional stranglehold on power (IMO), care for nothing besides retaining their own power, and for all their similarities, they quarrel like spoiled children, all the while leaving nothing but scorched earth in their wake.

No President or party can "create" jobs. But the right environment for business, can unleash jobs and opportunity for everyone who's willing to pursue them.
I agree. It is so unfair to the voters not to include the 3rd party candidate in the debates.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:11 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Completely agree.

Also, the fact that we have the electoral college doesn't change ANYTHING about that.
Even Sen Jim DeMint is on record as saying that (to always vote your conscience). He didn't turn around and endorse Romney did he? He all but endorsed Ron Paul when the primaries were going on. If I were he I would have endorsed Ron Paul. Now that Ron Paul isn't on the ballot I'm torn between voting for Johnson or writing Ron Paul in. I want to do whichever will have the biggest impact.

I think if people only knew that BOTH Romney AND Obama support the National Defense Authorization act and the Indefinite Detention of American Citizens provision NOBODY would vote for either of them!

Who in their right mind would vote for a President who wants the right to lock up an American Citizen for no reason or because there might be an outside chance you have some distant association with a terrorist (because you live in the same part of town or something) with NO RIGHT to contact an attorney or receive a fair trial?

What happened to you are innocent until PROVEN GUILTY? Obama made sure to get rid of that with McCain and Lindsay Graham helping him out who are both authors of this outrageous UNCONSTITUTIONAL Law. When Romney was asked during the Republican Debates whether he would have signed the Bill into Law he said YES!!!!! To me no WAY would I EVER vote for ANYONE who would support that. Both Romney and Obama just want to be KING of the land and control every aspect of our lives.

It is really sad what has become of this country and not enough people seem to care.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:29 PM

The people have no say anymore. It's the Big Banks, Lobbyists and Unions that run this country. We can complain all we want but the people have lost the power a long time ago.

This book will enlighten you: http://www.amazon.com/The-Payoff-Str...=IXTOVCQU153D6

Quote:
This book takes us inside their dogged crusade against institutional inertia and industry influence as they encounter an outright reluctance by the Obama administration, the Justice Department, and the Securities and Exchange Commission to treat Wall Street crimes with the gravity they deserve. On financial reforms, Connaughton criticizes Democrats for relying on the very Wall Street technocrats who had failed to prevent the crisis and Republicans for staunchly opposing real reforms primarily to enjoy a golden opportunity to siphon fundraising dollars from the Wall Street executives who had raised millions to elect Barack Obama president.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:24 AM

910 posts, read 2,292,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
The people have no say anymore. It's the Big Banks, Lobbyists and Unions that run this country. We can complain all we want but the people have lost the power a long time ago.

This book will enlighten you: The Payoff: Why Wall Street Always Wins: Jeff Connaughton: Amazon.com: Kindle Store
I SO agree with you! I totally dislike both parties, but the Republican most of all because they have never cared about the common person, just the rich and powerful. I abstained from voting in the previous 4 elections because I couldn't stand either candidate, but I have to say that each time a Democrat won I ended up feeling sorry for them because of the vitriolic attacks of the Republicans, they act as if they could do no wrong, ha! I was going to register this time so I could vote for Gary Johnson (the one and only time I voted was for Ross Perot...), but I had a car accident and I'm "on foot" for the time being so I won't be voting this time either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area