Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 06:01 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,938,702 times

Advertisements

As I look at various "best of" sites for retirement, SC as a state often doesn't rank very high (I saw one yesterday where SC was 33 out of 50). Greenville's at the top of my list for semi-retirement in a few years, but the mixed messages I get as I read around here are troubling.

I plan on working as long as I can to supplement social security and a small pension (I'll be doing web design and life coaching, maybe some counseling on the side), and moving to SC when I'm 70 a few years from now. I see some resentment in the forum toward retirees moving to Greenville, and I wonder how those who have retired to the Greenville area see the experience.

Do you feel welcome? Are there downside you've experienced (like this or that is too expensive, or there's not enough of something, or availability of public transit is poor)? Or is your decision to retire/semi-retire to Greenville the best thing you've ever done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 09:31 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,541,304 times
Well, I'll take a stab at this... First, it really depends on the individual retiree's financial situation. The best thing is probably the reasonable cost of living in the area. Health care is strong in the area, and getting stronger by the day, it seems. There are even holistic and alternative healthcare providers available.

Then, there is the fantastic downtown with countless restaurants pubs & shops, a vibrant arts scene, lots to do outdoors from great places to walk to more strenuous things on top of proximity to the majesty of the Blue Ridge.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:54 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,526,967 times
I agree with Upstate Booster. We are a couple in our 60's and have lived here for 4+ years. We both have been very pleased with quality and availability of health care. My husband had prostate surgery last year at GHS and the whole process could not have gone better... anywhere.

Quote:
I see some resentment in the forum toward retirees moving to Greenville
I can think of only one person on this forum who has expressed views like that, and IMHO, his credibility in that subject is not very high. Based on his postings, he doesn't even currently live in the Upstate.

As for availability of public transportation, we have two cars for the two of us, so that's not something we've paid any attention to. Except for the largest cities (such as Atlanta and Charlotte) the culture in this region (and probably the nation) is biased toward toward personal transportation. Until the price of gas goes a lot higher, I don't see much change coming very fast.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:03 PM

Thanks, guys ... these are helpful comments. Apparently, there are only two retirees who have moved to Greenville. The public transportation question is based in the fear that I'll be unable at some point to drive any more but frankly, that would cause problems in many parts of the country. Here in the Chicago suburbs there aren't a lot of public transportation options, either.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:43 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,191,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Thanks, guys ... these are helpful comments. Apparently, there are only two retirees who have moved to Greenville. The public transportation question is based in the fear that I'll be unable at some point to drive any more but frankly, that would cause problems in many parts of the country. Here in the Chicago suburbs there aren't a lot of public transportation options, either.
I'm also looking into Greenville for retirement in a few years and enjoy learning anything I can about the area. It's good to hear about the healthcare. Hoping to make a visit out next summer.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:20 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,541,304 times
I see public transportation improving/increasing over time, so hopefully by the time you NEED it, either it will be more readily available, or you may live in a community with its own shuttle service. The area has several full-spectrum senior communities (not just "rest homes") with a wide variety of services. But then again, that sort of thing puts many seniors off. To each his/her own!

Old 11-10-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iagal View Post
I'm also looking into Greenville for retirement in a few years and enjoy learning anything I can about the area. It's good to hear about the healthcare. Hoping to make a visit out next summer.
I was going to visit Greenville last month, but my apartment move wiped out my vacation savings. Hope to visit in the spring, myself.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:12 AM

117 posts, read 144,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I agree with Upstate Booster. We are a couple in our 60's and have lived here for 4+ years. We both have been very pleased with quality and availability of health care. My husband had prostate surgery last year at GHS and the whole process could not have gone better... anywhere.

I can think of only one person on this forum who has expressed views like that, and IMHO, his credibility in that subject is not very high. Based on his postings, he doesn't even currently live in the Upstate.

As for availability of public transportation, we have two cars for the two of us, so that's not something we've paid any attention to. Except for the largest cities (such as Atlanta and Charlotte) the culture in this region (and probably the nation) is biased toward toward personal transportation. Until the price of gas goes a lot higher, I don't see much change coming very fast.
I am glad your surgery went well in Greenville. However, I have been less than impressed with healthcare in the upstate. A close relative has a two year old that requires a lot of medical attention. The children's hospital in Greenville has not been as robust as other regional children's hospitals. MUSC, Levine, Palmetto Health and Emory are close by and are much more modern and use more up to date techniques. In many instances, the other hospitals replace the medical devices used in Greenville. I would say that this is specific to children but, I have had similar instances with older relatives in Anderson, Spartanburg and Greenville. Spartanburg Regional would only be good for setting broken bones, anything else would require a drive out of town. If healthcare is a big issue for you, I would look to be closer to a medical university or a larger city, Raleigh NC has terrific hospitals.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:26 PM

I found this on the US News site:

Best Hospitals in South Carolina - US News Best Hospitals

Greenville Memorial's ranking seems roughly comparable to some of the hospitals we have here in the western suburbs of Chicago; but it looks like Durham or Chapel Hill are the places to be if you need really top notch medical care:

Best Hospitals in Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina - US News Best Hospitals

Old 11-16-2012, 06:26 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,451,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I found this on the US News site:

Best Hospitals in South Carolina - US News Best Hospitals

Greenville Memorial's ranking seems roughly comparable to some of the hospitals we have here in the western suburbs of Chicago; but it looks like Durham or Chapel Hill are the places to be if you need really top notch medical care:

Best Hospitals in Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina - US News Best Hospitals
You are absolutely right. Greenville may only be "good" by South Carolina standards. North Carolina would blow SC out of the water with heavyweights like Duke Medical Center. MUSC may have a digestive center that ranks in the top 50 but even that isn't anything to brag about. If there are 50 states and you are a hospital program just making it into the top 50, what is so great about that?

Then when you bring natural medicine into the equation, SC is hardly cutting edge! The state laws actually are KEEPING IT THAT WAY. SC is one of only two states in the union that has banned natural medicine -- Naturopathic Doctors-- from practicing in the state (if you can believe it). They did this in the 1970s. I've referenced the actual statute so many times on City-Data, I'm sure you can find it if you search through my posts.

Imagine having a state government so ignorant/uncaring as to BAN the ONLY mode of medicine capable of restoring full health to those with chronic and degenerative diseases. The good news is you don't need to be physically in the office of the Naturopath. They can counsel you over the phone from another state where helping people get truly well using natural methods isn't illegal and tell you what you need to do to reverse your disease. I would never have moved to SC if that were not the case.

I'd say its strengths are cost of living, weather, its small size and relative obscurity (most people have never heard of it; it isn't on a lot of maps - you can't even get a decent map of the upstate and nearby SC. Also its location away from military bases and potential flooding from hurricanes and tsunamis is a good thing.

Last edited by emilybh; 11-16-2012 at 06:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area