Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:58 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times

Advertisements

I haven't posted in this thread or some others because I'm concerned I will be banned or whatever the correct message board terminology is. On another thread I put in my 2 cents and my comments weren't nearly as strong as these or others I've been reading. Yet 2 of my posts were deleted with a warning. Now I'm beginning to wonder if it's because I mentioned my religious upbringing, which was not Christian, although I've attended Christian churches for years. I take being censored personally and enjoy debates, as long as people don't get nasty. Again, that's really starting to concern me, since these comments are very inflammatory compared to what I wrote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 12:36 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
I came back to this thread to delete my previous post, but it's too late. I'm in just one of those moods tonight and the internet is a good place to vent.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:14 AM

81 posts, read 327,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith C View Post
I am saddened by your obvious avoidance in your life of people who choose to follow God's will, especially with a small child in your family. Being a mom of four, I know that focus will change in the next four-five years in your life, I just hope your ability to address those questions to come with the right answers changes too.

Greenville is a GREAT place to raise a GREAT child who eventually wants to know their creator...and everybody does at one time in their life.

I grew up in ATL. I would not recommend that place to anyone who did not have alot of money to be able to shelter their child from the chaos that has been brought there.

I voted for Bush, and I am a CHRISTIAN Gulf War Vet.
Right on Faith C, in agreement with what you said, good point!

Old 01-18-2008, 03:35 AM

2 posts, read 14,935 times
How conservative is Greenville? -- Well it depends on your definition of conservative. As in most sections of the country, larger cities will be more liberal because of the greater opportunity for the exchange of ideas, than small towns. The issue or question is NOT how conservative is Greenville, but what is the South or at least the I-85 corridor that stretches from the Research Triangle, N.C. to Birmingham, AL. (A wonderful unbiased introduction to the south can be found in Joel Garreau's book, The Nine Nations of North America.) Who are we? What is our culture? Moreover, how do we contribute or detract from a national identity? Who are we in S.C.? In the upstate, we are Irish, Scottish and African-American. We are fiercely independent, clannish, agriculturally oriented, self reliant, and we have more engineers per capita than any other region of the country. We tend to be Southern Baptist, hard drinking, and proud people. We also in the upstate have produced more Medal of Honor recipients than any other region of the country. Do not mess with us, because you will end up with a fight on your hands. Anderson County is statistically the most violent county in the state, a state that has more of its citizens behind bars than many other states. Researchers have discovered that we still have a very strong sense of chivalry, or if you insult us… we do not get a lawyer, we get a gun. But don’t be intimidated, statistically we kill our family members and friends instead of our neighbors and strangers. In addition, we in the past have not had a middle class. You either, owned the peach orchard or the mill, or you worked in those businesses. This lack of economic equity has produced tension and social unrest to the point where many of our brightest and best, as well as those with little or no education, but had ambition, left the region to find careers in others parts of the country. This brain drain continues to this day. For example, of the five brightest graduates from a local high school in 1998, all of whom now hold masters degrees, NONE have taken jobs in South Carolina. The sad fact is that many South Carolinians have had to leave the state in order to become noted scientist, scholars, authors, artists, and educators. In my lifetime, I have met the inventor of the laser who is from Greenville. A former Executive Director of the New York Philharmonic is from Spartanburg. General Westmoreland was from my hometown of Pacolet. Secretary of State Jimmy Burns was from Spartanburg. A leading professor of OB/GYN, with whom I went to high school with, is now a full professor at the University of Rochester Medical School. Few people realize that South Carolina has produced more astronauts than any other state, that the father of modern gynecology was a South Carolinian and that Dizzy Gillespie, the Jazz trumpeter was from Liberty. Or that John B. Watson was from Travelers Rest. Watson was raised in Greenville and attended Furman University and became a founding father of behaviorism in the early part of this century. Later Keith Lockhart, another Furman grad is the current Director of the Boston Pops. All were or are South Carolinians. And, the list goes on and on. Did you know that Clemson, USC, Wofford and Furman are all Phi Beta Kappa institutions? But, at the same time less than 50% percent of our young people finish high school? So, if you move here and feel a bit bewildered, join the club…but then again… there is something here for everyone… We host the Spoleto Festival, a nationally ranked arts and music festival in Charleston. We have and have had one of the most innovative ETV systems in the country. We also have one of the premier community Fine Arts system in the nation. Not to mention some of the best BBQ you will ever taste, hound dogs, moonshine, and music that ranges from country, to gospel, to classical. If I were to sum up who were are, we are a people of contradiction, tradition, innovation and hope. And if it makes you feel any better, I have lived here as a native South Carolinian for over 50 years and I am still trying to figure out who we are. So to answer your question... Are we conservative…? not really… we are just … different… wonderfully different.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:47 AM

2 posts, read 14,935 times
Default How conservative IS Greenville?

How conservative IS Greenville? -- Well it depends on your definition of conservative. As in most sections of the country, larger cities will be more liberal because of the greater opportunity for the exchange of ideas, than small towns. The issue or question is NOT how conservative is Greenville, but what is the South or at least the I-85 corridor that stretches from the Research Triangle, N.C. to Birmingham, AL. Who are we? What is our culture? Moreover, how do we contribute or detract from a national identity? Who are we in S.C.? In the upstate, we are Irish, Scottish and African-American. We are fiercely independent, clannish, agriculturally oriented, self reliant, and we have more engineers per capita than any other region of the country. We tend to be Southern Baptist, hard drinking, and proud people. We also in the upstate have produced more Medal of Honor recipients than any other region of the country. Do not mess with us, because you will end up with a fight on your hands. Anderson County is statistically the most violent county in the state, a state that has more of its citizens behind bars than many other states. Researchers have discovered that we still have a very strong sense of chivalry, or if you insult us… we do not get a lawyer, we get a gun. But don’t be intimidated, statistically we kill our family members and friends instead of our neighbors and strangers. In addition, we in the past have not had a middle class. You either, owned the peach orchard or the mill, or you worked in those businesses. This lack of economic equity has produced tension and social unrest to the point where many of our brightest and best, as well as those with little or no education left the region to find careers in others parts of the country. This brain drain continues to this day. For example, of the five brightest graduates from a local high school in 1998, all of whom now hold masters degrees, NONE have taken jobs in South Carolina. The sad fact is that many South Carolinians have been noted scientist, scholars, authors, artists, and educators. In my lifetime, I have met the inventor or the laser who is from Greenville. A former Executive Director of the New York Philharmonic is from Spartanburg. General Westmoreland was from my hometown of Pacolet. Secretary of State Jimmy Burns was from Spartanburg. A leading professor of OB/GYN, with whom I went to high school with, is now a full professor at the University of Rochester Medical School. Few people realize that South Carolina has produced more astronauts than any other state, that the father of modern gynecology was a South Carolinian and that Dizzy Gillespie, the Jazz trumpeter was from Liberty. Or that John B. Watson was from Travelers Rest. Watson was raised in Greenville and attended Furman University and became a founding father of behaviorism in the early part of this century. Later Keith Lockhart, another Furman grad is the current Director of the Boston Pops. All were or are South Carolinians. And, the list goes on and on. Did you know that Clemson, USC, Wofford and Furman are all Phi Beta Kappa institutions? But, at the same time less than 50% percent of our young people finish high school? So, if you move here and feel a bit bewildered, join the club…but then again… there is something here for everyone… We host the Spoleto Festival, a national ranked arts and music festival in Charleston. We have and have had one of the most innovative ETV systems in the country. We also have one of the premier community Fine Arts system in the nation. Not to mention some of the best BBQ you will ever taste, hound dogs, moonshine, and music that ranges from country, to gospel, to classical. If I were to sum up who were are, we are a people of contradiction, tradition, innovation and hope. And if it makes you feel any better, I have lived here as a native South Carolinian for over 50 years and I am still trying to figure out who we are. So to answer your question, are we conservative… not really… we are just … different… wonderfully different.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:39 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgee View Post
How conservative IS Greenville? -- Well it depends on your definition of conservative. As in most sections of the country, larger cities will be more liberal because of the greater opportunity for the exchange of ideas, than small towns. The issue or question is NOT how conservative is Greenville, but what is the South or at least the I-85 corridor that stretches from the Research Triangle, N.C. to Birmingham, AL. Who are we? What is our culture? Moreover, how do we contribute or detract from a national identity? Who are we in S.C.? In the upstate, we are Irish, Scottish and African-American. We are fiercely independent, clannish, agriculturally oriented, self reliant, and we have more engineers per capita than any other region of the country. We tend to be Southern Baptist, hard drinking, and proud people. We also in the upstate have produced more Medal of Honor recipients than any other region of the country. Do not mess with us, because you will end up with a fight on your hands. Anderson County is statistically the most violent county in the state, a state that has more of its citizens behind bars than many other states. Researchers have discovered that we still have a very strong sense of chivalry, or if you insult us… we do not get a lawyer, we get a gun. But don’t be intimidated, statistically we kill our family members and friends instead of our neighbors and strangers. In addition, we in the past have not had a middle class. You either, owned the peach orchard or the mill, or you worked in those businesses. This lack of economic equity has produced tension and social unrest to the point where many of our brightest and best, as well as those with little or no education left the region to find careers in others parts of the country. This brain drain continues to this day. For example, of the five brightest graduates from a local high school in 1998, all of whom now hold masters degrees, NONE have taken jobs in South Carolina. The sad fact is that many South Carolinians have been noted scientist, scholars, authors, artists, and educators. In my lifetime, I have met the inventor or the laser who is from Greenville. A former Executive Director of the New York Philharmonic is from Spartanburg. General Westmoreland was from my hometown of Pacolet. Secretary of State Jimmy Burns was from Spartanburg. A leading professor of OB/GYN, with whom I went to high school with, is now a full professor at the University of Rochester Medical School. Few people realize that South Carolina has produced more astronauts than any other state, that the father of modern gynecology was a South Carolinian and that Dizzy Gillespie, the Jazz trumpeter was from Liberty. Or that John B. Watson was from Travelers Rest. Watson was raised in Greenville and attended Furman University and became a founding father of behaviorism in the early part of this century. Later Keith Lockhart, another Furman grad is the current Director of the Boston Pops. All were or are South Carolinians. And, the list goes on and on. Did you know that Clemson, USC, Wofford and Furman are all Phi Beta Kappa institutions? But, at the same time less than 50% percent of our young people finish high school? So, if you move here and feel a bit bewildered, join the club…but then again… there is something here for everyone… We host the Spoleto Festival, a national ranked arts and music festival in Charleston. We have and have had one of the most innovative ETV systems in the country. We also have one of the premier community Fine Arts system in the nation. Not to mention some of the best BBQ you will ever taste, hound dogs, moonshine, and music that ranges from country, to gospel, to classical. If I were to sum up who were are, we are a people of contradiction, tradition, innovation and hope. And if it makes you feel any better, I have lived here as a native South Carolinian for over 50 years and I am still trying to figure out who we are. So to answer your question, are we conservative… not really… we are just … different… wonderfully different.
Great post! People use the term Conservative like its a bad thing or something. Sure the areas around the I-85 corridor are having a difficult time maintaining Souther culture, but the reality of it is, I-85 is not the entire South. Land of contradiction - certainly! Outsiders claim we are illiterate and uneducated...yet some of the greatest American authors were from the South. They call use un-cultured, yet we have some of the widest varieties of foods. Insult our music - well might as well insult Rock music, and anything that came out of it! I think a lot of animosity from the rest of the country comes from how movies and tv portrays us. Newcomers who have not experienced our culture call us backwards, rednecks, bible thumpers, whatever....But I will always be a Southerner, and I will never let anyone take away the pride I have in the South.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:56 AM

2 posts, read 13,267 times
Wow! I did not realize that there was such blatant narrow-mindedness prevalent in the US! I am a very well educated libertarian with classical liberal values (think Jefferson and Madison) as well as a scientific, secular humanist. I embrace ALL views, LIVE AND LET LIVE!!

Old 01-10-2009, 06:43 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,941,832 times
Default Re how conservative is Greenville

We're from Massachusetts(liberal utopia) and believe me its no picnic living with liberals everyday...As to your amazement how many voted for Bush...Well we're constantly amazed how many of our fellow citzens keep voting for Kennedy...

Old 01-11-2009, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 13,267 times
I share your amazement regarding people voting for the Kennedys. Now we have Princess Caroline's upcoming coronation. The myth of Camelot lives!

Old 01-11-2009, 12:36 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
This particular thread I believe or hope was meant to be constructive and informative. However I do not care for the self righteous baloney it is. I do not know if many on this thread are representative of the majority of the local population either. I do know this though, I think it is safe to say with the exception of a few on it, most would never find employment with a Chamber of Commerce. If you want business/commerce and respectable people moving into your area, this thread doesn't cut it. I have only been to Greenville once and that was an emergency landing enroute to Atlanta. After reading the unwelcoming and narrowmindedness baloney on this thread, I am more than glad that plane was able to takeoff and get me the hell out of Greenville. I think threads that turn into what this has, do more harm than good. I will say that if someone had some skepticism about life in some of the regions of the south. Then I think it is also safe to say this thread and threads like this could be part of the determining factor in what they decide about places. Really who could blame them. There is nothing wrong with being accepting of people on what ever side of the spectrum they may think. Its called the actual meaning of diversity. Really this thread does nothing positive for your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area