Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 10:45 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickynlevy View Post
Yes, SC is very conservative. Greenville is home to a huge conservative Christian college, Bob Jones University. As a matter of a fact I read some place the other day that ChristianExodus.org is moving thousands of Christians to South Carolina to reestablish constitutionally limited government founded upon Christian principles. I'd say stay away from South Carolina if you are a liberal.. Also South Carolina ranks #1 in violent crime.. You know how those rednecks are, going around killing everyone.. Surely you can't have that.. State Rankings--Statistical Abstract of the United States--Violent Crime Per 100,000 Population - 2004
And what state do you live in? A lot of those crimes are thanks to the coast. i.e. Charleston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 12:15 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
To grossly oversimplify things, the Civil War was largely fought over the issue of slavery. A lot of people will claim it was fought over states' rights, but the right that the states were fighting for was the right to hold other human beings as property. The confederate flag represented those states that wanted to hold black people as slaves. So to fly it, display it, etc. can easily be interpreted to support the idea that slavery was a good thing. To a large number of people that flag represents hatred and the worst part of American history.

It didn't help anything that the KKK liked to fly it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
What's wrong with being conservative and having a confederate flag? Several of my friends are like that. They have confederate flags and still support Bush. It's their right. If you don't like it then you don't have to move here. Plain and simple.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:19 PM

609 posts, read 1,620,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
To grossly oversimplify things, the Civil War was largely fought over the issue of slavery. A lot of people will claim it was fought over states' rights, but the right that the states were fighting for was the right to hold other human beings as property. The confederate flag represented those states that wanted to hold black people as slaves. So to fly it, display it, etc. can easily be interpreted to support the idea that slavery was a good thing. To a large number of people that flag represents hatred and the worst part of American history.

It didn't help anything that the KKK liked to fly it as well.
there's no such thing as black

Black was used to sum up people of color.... probably orginiating in Brazil under "Negro" [nay-gro]

There were actually Native American, African, and Hispanic slaves that were being raped, beaten, and tortured. It's just the majority of those were African.

Hence Cubans, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans being forced to play in the Negro Leagues of baseball.........

History is blanketed fiercely to divide and conquer but SC's Gullah culture is one of the keys to the truth

black is not a race and if you are a nationalist, then you would be American if in America , if not of a secular (?) group

I'm of a mixed descent traced back through a lot of history with many different looks in my family so this has always been an interesting issue for me and I always felt that South Carolina's education system is horrible when it comes to explaining culture and maintaining a balance and understanding of anything not white or black... i would say the south in General but I've only witnessed the system in 2 states really and the other, being NY, just a total difference and it reflects in the children as they get older

Old 10-21-2007, 03:50 PM

81 posts, read 327,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
To what words in the post are you referring to when you say labels? "Christian" "Conservative?" Are these not accurate descriptions of Greenville as a whole?

Where did she say that being politically active was for liberals? You are sounding a bit condescending here. Where did she say that churches have a negative impact? She just said that there were a lot of them. And why are drugs and crime the alternative to churches?

Art123 I believe it was the word you used as "inflammatory" in another forum so I think I will do the same and use the word to describe the feeling here!
It's inflammatory the whole way through! Thanks for that word I am going to use it now whenever I can!

"BUT, Im concerned about it being too conservative. We are coming from Oregon where people are very politically and environmentally active."

"We re looking for a community of open minded people with community activities for adults and families that arent aimed at the retired Christian"

" I was shocked to see the % of people that voted for Bush in the last election. I was also amazed at the amount of churches in the area."

Shocked, too conservative, retired Christian! those are some "inflammatory" words!

Old 10-21-2007, 04:15 PM

Don't thank me for using inflammable. Thank Dr. Nick:

"Inflammable means flammable? What a country." - the Simpsons

Quote:
Originally Posted by gods_childs View Post
It's inflammatory the whole way through! Thanks for that word I am going to use it now whenever I can!

Old 10-21-2007, 09:57 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,713,713 times
Art,
We are cool. I prefaced my previous post by stating that it was a repost and it was specifically for the newbies who happened to be lefties and happened to be elitist and condescending.

Us righties are finally fighting back and that may be tough for some to take. If I tried to find the link to the thread titled "Keep liberals out of Greenville" I wouldn't be able to find it because it doesn't exist. However their are multiple threads deriding the conservative nature of this area and its people, one of which I'm posting in right now.

I like and care for people and only judge them by the content of their character. Unfortunately the posts of many lefties in this forum and others throughtout this website lack character. Their is a thread in the politics forum titled something like "Here's why I hate Bush" and it is quite vicious and pure hate. Heck, "hate" is in the title. Needless to say 95% of those posting in that particular thread profess "liberal tolerance".

Sadly, civility has become an archaic notion replaced with contempt for anyone with whom we disagree politically. To quote that paragon of virtue, Rodney King, "Why can't we all get along?"

Old 10-22-2007, 04:12 AM

Good for you, sonrise. You gotta fight the power!

It's about time someone stood up for the conservative Christian men in this country.

Now if we could just get a few of them elected into office, we'd be getting somewhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Us righties are finally fighting back and that may be tough for some to take.

Last edited by Art123; 10-22-2007 at 04:20 AM..

Old 10-22-2007, 07:51 AM

5 posts, read 12,737 times
Smile We are a country founded on Christian principals, so is G-ville

I am saddened by your obvious avoidance in your life of people who choose to follow God's will, especially with a small child in your family. Being a mom of four, I know that focus will change in the next four-five years in your life, I just hope your ability to address those questions to come with the right answers changes too.

Greenville is a GREAT place to raise a GREAT child who eventually wants to know their creator...and everybody does at one time in their life.

I grew up in ATL. I would not recommend that place to anyone who did not have alot of money to be able to shelter their child from the chaos that has been brought there.

I voted for Bush, and I am a CHRISTIAN Gulf War Vet.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:49 AM

234 posts, read 1,270,357 times
from the first page of this thread.

For me....it's a catch-22. I would love to have some acreage, but also want to be around people that aren't living in the stone age

Here we go again --- Like I said before if your "liberal" and into "tolerance" of all people EXCEPT for right wing republican, Christian conserverative, Bush voting people - then move to Asheville NC. You will fit right in --- basically you stay on your side of the fence and I will stay on my side.

Leave Greenville alone - I like it just the way it is - and this is from someone trying to move away from the Peoples Republik of New England.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith C View Post
We are a country founded on Christian principals
What a hunk of baloney. The principles this nation was founded on came directly out of the the Enlightenment. The word "god" was left out of the constitution for a reason. In fact, there are so many quotes from our founding fathers that we are not to follow Christian principles in government, they are too numerous to list. Whenever someone brings a quote to the contrary, it's from people you've never heard of.

Here's on of my favorites:

"I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature. The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as his Father, in the womb of a virgin will be classified with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter."
-Thomas Jefferson

And then there is the Treaty of Tripoli, signed by John Adams and ratified unanimously by the Senate in 1797:

As the Government of the United States...is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion--as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity of Musselmen--and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

The Founding Fathers were not religious men, and they fought hard to erect, in Thomas Jefferson's words, "a wall of separation between church and state." John Adams opined that if they were not restrained by legal measures, Puritans--the fundamentalists of their day--would "whip and crop, and pillory and roast." The historical epoch had afforded these men ample opportunity to observe the corruption to which established priesthoods were liable, as well as "the impious presumption of legislators and rulers," as Jefferson wrote, "civil as well as ecclesiastical, who, being themselves but fallible and uninspired men, have assumed dominion over the faith of others, setting up their own opinions and modes of thinking as the only true and infallible, and as such endeavoring to impose them on others, hath established and maintained false religions over the greatest part of the world and through all time."

There are many millions of books in this world. You should rely on more than just one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area