Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 06:32 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times

Advertisements

That is debatable. It is also dependent upon which part (district) of the area you are looking at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 08:41 AM

609 posts, read 1,620,329 times
may'be if you've lived here all your life in well off rich family it is............

Old 10-20-2007, 08:38 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
That may have been the case for you but it is still debatable. If you would like to debate the subject (whether Greenville is "super-conservative" or not), just please share why you believe what you do instead of throwing out idiotic comments without reason. People definitely see things differently and I am sure we could have a civil discussion concerning the changes occurring in this city if you are willing to be mature about the subject.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:58 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,713,713 times
Okay,
Look here's my original post to Art a few months ago. It's a repost. Art and I are cool now, but I have to say that there is a lot of smug, elitist condescension in this thread and it is really offensive. "Liberal tolerance" is Amercias greatest oxymoron and a lot of you have proved it in this thread. Here is the aforementioned post:

Cartman, this is the op:

My Buddhist girlfriend and my agnostic self are considering a move to the Greenville area because of a job opportunity there. We are Progressives who are extremely dismayed with the hypocrisy of the neo-conservative regime currently in power in Washington DC. Will we find any others like ourselves? Childless, creative, unmarried couples who don't believe in a Christian god? We love our dogs and are looking to either live near downtown, or perhaps the Paris Mt. area. We also would like to be near any trails and/or parks to walk the dogs. We are not fond of strict HOA's, or communities where every third house is exactly the same. Any suggestions? Are we insane to consider moving to the home of Bob Jones University? Will we be chastised as "sinners" and paraded through the streets on Sunday as "heathens?" We basically keep to ourselves but want to be able to make a few good friends/neighbors that we can relate to.

With all due respect you'd have to be a complete moron not to know that Greenville is the belt buckle of the bible belt and is proud of its conservative christian heritage. I'm pretty confidant that Art isn't a moron. If he had spent even 5 minutes reading this forum before he posted, which I'm sure he did, he would've found out that the very things he holds in contempt are the things that most of us who post here embrace and are the very reasons we choose to live here.

Let me turn the tables for a sec. and see how you like it, m'kay? If I had gone to the San Francisco or Vermont forum and written something along the lines of this:

"Hi, my wife and I, who are both born again christians are thinking about moving to The Peoples Republic of San Francisco because of a job opportunity. We are traditionalists who believe in God, family and country in that order and are disgusted by the secular fundamentalist neo-libs who don't believe in evil, think the New York Times should replace the US Constitution and would elect a Michael Moore/Bill Maher ticket if given the opportunity. Are we insane to consider a move to the home of so many flamboyant homosexuals? Will we be labeled as "right wing fascists" and paraded through Haight-Ashbury as "bible thumping, backwards thinking, Fox News watching neanderthals"?

Cart,
This of course would border on the absurd and be completely offensive to the people of SF, Vermont or any other left leaning locale. Arts post elicited the same response from me and I'd wager that he knew exactly what he was doing. I never sneer and almost always have a smile/laugh on my face but I will almost always call out bad behavior when I hear it, read it or see it. Probably has something to do with my archaic notion of right and wrong. How unprogressive of me. The fact that almost no one called Art out for his disrespect actually disproves his portrayal of the people here.

Art, I'm not a troll. I've been posting here for over a year. You're welcome to live anywhere you choose, that's the great thing about America, but it wouldn't be wise to start off any new endeavor by insulting and/or looking down on people with whom you disagree. if I were to meet you, I'd shake your hand and give you the benefit of the doubt. I as well as most people here don't care if you're a liberal as long as you're civil and respectful of the opinions of others. Your op was anything but that.

This was from back in July. The point is many of you on the left seem to denigrate that which many of us love and embrace. I think many of you unfortunately have been surrounded by group think, i.e liberal college, living on the west coast, etc. and haven't encountered many people with opinions that differ from your own. Name calling and arrogance don't cut it in the real world and quite frankly isn't a very "tolerant" attitude. Oh, and for the record, I just moved here 7 months ago from the Peoples Republic Of Los Angeles, I know a little about what I'm talking about.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:27 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,035,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogota View Post
Hi, My husband has been offered a job in both Charleston and Greenville. I have heard great things about GV. And we want a smaller city. BUT, Im concerned about it being too conservative. We are coming from Oregon where people are very politically and environmentally active. I was shocked to see the % of people that voted for Bush in the last election. I was also amazed at the amount of churches in the area.

PLEASE, can anyone give me any real insight on this. We are early in our 30s with a 1 yr old. We re looking for a community of open minded people with community activities for adults and families that arent aimed at the retired Christian.
What a minute. You would judge an entire city of people before even knowing them!? You would criticize their way of life just because it isn't like where you came from? I'm sorry but I am quite offended by this. Who cares if they are conservative? Since when is that a bad thing anyways?

If that remains your attitude, you will definitely have trouble when you move. Best of luck though

Old 10-20-2007, 11:21 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,997 times
Default Easy killer

Whoa. Sonrise,

Your killing me here. I thought we were good? You've just reposted your own response from the middle of a different thread without any context to what had actually gone on there. People can go back and read these things the way they actually unfolded - on a different thread - many months ago - unedited - well, slightly edited by the moderators when it got ugly - and make up their own minds. Let's not get ugly again, mmmkay? I think this post of yours crosses the ugly line and we do not need to go there again.

Rethink this repost, would ya? I think we understand each other and agree to see things differently, but you've restarted a lot of name calling here that was not necessary. You are not coming off as any authority on tolerance, either.

Last edited by Art123; 10-21-2007 at 12:01 AM..

Old 10-21-2007, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gods_childs View Post
Wow, funny how it is always the so called progressive, tolerant individuals to automatically put labels on others opposite of where they stand!
To what words in the post are you referring to when you say labels? "Christian" "Conservative?" Are these not accurate descriptions of Greenville as a whole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gods_childs View Post
Last time I checked being politically active does not equal liberal, but I guess being condescending does! So much for open-mindedness and since when does the number of churches an area have a negative impact. You might want to use your progressive, tolerant abilities to look into the positive contributions churches make in the community. Since the idea of churches in a neighborhood alarm what would you prefer an area filthy with drugs & crime better to raise a family in? Good luck on your quest!
Where did she say that being politically active was for liberals? You are sounding a bit condescending here. Where did she say that churches have a negative impact? She just said that there were a lot of them. And why are drugs and crime the alternative to churches?

Last edited by Art123; 10-21-2007 at 07:02 AM..

Old 10-21-2007, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
What a minute. You would judge an entire city of people before even knowing them!?
I believe Bogota actually said, "I have heard great things about GV." I agree that he/she should not be so fast to judge this city, given the responses on this thread such as yours, and gods childs and sonrise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
You would criticize their way of life just because it isn't like where you came from? I'm sorry but I am quite offended by this. Who cares if they are conservative? Since when is that a bad thing anyways?

If that remains your attitude, you will definitely have trouble when you move. Best of luck though
Bogota did not criticize your way of life. He/she was merely stating reality, based on verifiable stats. It's a thing us libs like to do, base decisions on facts. There are a lot of conservatives and a lot of churches here. Are you going to argue with that? No one said being conservative was bad, necessarily, but he/she did infer that it was not really in keeping with his/her point of view, thereby causing concern. People like to have other people around that they can relate to.

Last edited by Art123; 10-21-2007 at 07:55 AM..

Old 10-21-2007, 09:26 AM

32 posts, read 107,516 times
Yes, SC is very conservative. Greenville is home to a huge conservative Christian college, Bob Jones University. As a matter of a fact I read some place the other day that ChristianExodus.org is moving thousands of Christians to South Carolina to reestablish constitutionally limited government founded upon Christian principles. I'd say stay away from South Carolina if you are a liberal.. Also South Carolina ranks #1 in violent crime.. You know how those rednecks are, going around killing everyone.. Surely you can't have that.. State Rankings--Statistical Abstract of the United States--Violent Crime Per 100,000 Population - 2004

Old 10-21-2007, 10:44 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
What's wrong with being conservative and having a confederate flag? Several of my friends are like that. They have confederate flags and still support Bush. It's their right. If you don't like it then you don't have to move here. Plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area