Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 09:07 AM

118 posts, read 465,384 times

Advertisements

Whatever happened to the dream of integration and all people being the same?
Now, we have African American Communities, Mexican American Communities/White Communities, etc, etc.
The White people have their little code words for White neighborhoods or White only. Evidently, the Blacks will just straight out say they want to live in an African American Community.

I don't know what the Latinos are saying because I've not been indoctrinated into the Spanish language enough yet, to be able to understand them.

I wont elaborate any further, except to say that we are more segregated now than ever.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:03 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criss1956 View Post
Whatever happened to the dream of integration and all people being the same?
Now, we have African American Communities, Mexican American Communities/White Communities, etc, etc.
The White people have their little code words for White neighborhoods or White only. Evidently, the Blacks will just straight out say they want to live in an African American Community.

I don't know what the Latinos are saying because I've not been indoctrinated into the Spanish language enough yet, to be able to understand them.

I wont elaborate any further, except to say that we are more segregated now than ever.

Good post!
I just want to mention that where I live is over 25% Hispanic according to the latest statistics. Anyway, a few months ago a neighbor from Mexico had a baby and I brought her a gift. She doesn't speak English, but most of her friends do. Coincidentally she was having a party that night and I was invited to stay. The food was delicious and the people were friendly, but it was very clear to me that I was an outsider because I am "Anglo" and I don't speak much Spanish. I found it odd that I was born & raised in the United States but someone would say to me "you people." (what people..humans?) Then I'd be in a conversation with one of the guests and he'd say "in my country we..."

Old 12-02-2007, 02:23 AM

3 posts, read 21,358 times
For all those who are sooooooooooo unhappy ~ MOVE ~ or build a bridge and get over it. A place can be what you make it.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:18 PM

12 posts, read 54,337 times
Home to Jesse Jackson.....Shoe Less Joe Jackson..

Old 12-04-2007, 12:04 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
"Shoeless" Joe Jackson wasn't an African American.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:40 PM

75 posts, read 353,282 times
Greenville is just like every other large city. It has its predominatly white parts and it predominatly black parts. If you go to places like city heights projects or pleasant valley/piedmont manor/belle meade community in the south side right around potomac avenue and south agusta youd think the exact opposite and would be wondering where all the white people are.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,837 times
Well, Me Being The Idiot That I Am. I Let My Husband Talk Me Into Relocating To Greenville, Secondary To His Parents Retiring In Newyork And Relocating To Greenville, N.c. He Decided He Wanted To Be Closer To Family. So We Packed Up From Atlanta, Ga. Where I Was A Registered Nurse Working In The Cardiac Critical Care Unit Of A Major County Hospital For 13 Years. Prior To That I Worked At Harlem Hospital In Manh. And Kings County In Brooklyn.

To Make A Long Story Short I Have Never Experienced As Much Prejudice In My Whole Life As I Have In The Month That I Have Been In Greenville, Nc. Pitt County Hospital And Ecu Rule In Greenville. Upon Interviewing I Wont Mention What Area, But I Was Surprised That All The Nurses On This Unit Were White, Except The Secretary And Housekeeper. The Manager Actually Told Me That She Was Not Clear Why I Wanted To Work On Her Area. She Then Asked Me If Human Resources Pushed Me To Interview On Her Unit. Then In The Peer Interview I Was Interviewed By A Caucasion New Grad. With Less That A Year Experience. The Manager Then Said To Me That She Was Not Sure If I Had Enough Critical Care Experience. I Tell You If I Wasn't Scared That She Probably Would Have Thrown Me In A Dungeon Instead Of Saving My Life., I Would Have Passed Out After That Crazy Statement.

Then My Crazy In Laws Asked Me Why Did I Apply At Pitt, Because The Icu Units At Pitt Really Don't Hire Many African Americans. So, I Let My Husband Know That He Is Welcome To Stay In This Town But I Will Be Leaving Like Yesterday!!!!

Old 02-14-2008, 01:01 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,532,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior06 View Post
Well, Me Being The Idiot That I Am. I Let My Husband Talk Me Into Relocating To Greenville, Secondary To His Parents Retiring In Newyork And Relocating To Greenville, N.c. He Decided He Wanted To Be Closer To Family. So We Packed Up From Atlanta, Ga. Where I Was A Registered Nurse Working In The Cardiac Critical Care Unit Of A Major County Hospital For 13 Years. Prior To That I Worked At Harlem Hospital In Manh. And Kings County In Brooklyn.

To Make A Long Story Short I Have Never Experienced As Much Prejudice In My Whole Life As I Have In The Month That I Have Been In Greenville, Nc. Pitt County Hospital And Ecu Rule In Greenville. Upon Interviewing I Wont Mention What Area, But I Was Surprised That All The Nurses On This Unit Were White, Except The Secretary And Housekeeper. The Manager Actually Told Me That She Was Not Clear Why I Wanted To Work On Her Area. She Then Asked Me If Human Resources Pushed Me To Interview On Her Unit. Then In The Peer Interview I Was Interviewed By A Caucasion New Grad. With Less That A Year Experience. The Manager Then Said To Me That She Was Not Sure If I Had Enough Critical Care Experience. I Tell You If I Wasn't Scared That She Probably Would Have Thrown Me In A Dungeon Instead Of Saving My Life., I Would Have Passed Out After That Crazy Statement.

Then My Crazy In Laws Asked Me Why Did I Apply At Pitt, Because The Icu Units At Pitt Really Don't Hire Many African Americans. So, I Let My Husband Know That He Is Welcome To Stay In This Town But I Will Be Leaving Like Yesterday!!!!
Why do you capitalize every word? Is that a NYC thing?

Old 02-14-2008, 01:05 PM

95 posts, read 83,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojones View Post
There's TOO LITTLED cultural entertainment value in Greenville, South Carolina........ period..... I welcome the gathering of those people wishing to change it though b/c there's a big opening for change here

People on this board will never understand what's meant when I say this for some reason but I guess when you're not of an ethnic background or been around people of culture, it's pointless to try to get them to understand

But there just is nowhere for minorities to go and enjoy different things that people of ethnic backgrounds would prefer........ and remain in a 'urban-sophisticates (?) environment

There's minorities here..... but you will never find sophisticatd crowds in one gathering commonly and it have some sort of cultural distinction.........

Urban comedy clubs... no
Neo-soul, merengue, salsa, bachata, R&B, Jazz............ I've yet to see them
Open Mic Poetry.... no
Minorities own a few things here, but it's rough to own anything here b/c minorities aren't getting the jobs and have not been since Downtown's gentrification happened....... In the early 90s, there was a lot more going on.

Hip Hop clubs here get shot up within a years time...... while I'm not into Hip Hop clubs personally just the sad truth I've observed... but since a rash of them have been opening lately, the separation of the city's areas might allow for more growth there.

Downtown is a waste of time for me on the weekend... I mean if you like a bunch of fast food 'good ol' American' chain restaurants.. it's for you.... There's one REAL Caribbean restaurant downtown but it's very small.. you have to walk down main to see it... Just walk in and say "Wha Gwan" lol they'll greet you no problem!

There was an authentic Mexican restuarant downtown but i'm not sure if it's still here. I don't goto many here though because in talking to some acquintences that did some work for me who migrated from South America, they told me a lot of the restaurants treat them pretty badly, underpaying and firing those that stand up for themselves................. so i'm tough on going to some of those, i have to know who's operating and see a certain kind of setting. I've got family and friends of Hispanola origin so I hate to see those types of practices and cant suppro it.

You're liable to go there and goto an ethnic restaurant with all whites serving/working/etc................. no offense to anyone white but I'm just used to more diverse settings in these last few years

Since being back here, I notice a lot of Cuban, Puerto Rico, and Dominican flags being sported by people so I'm happy to see that. Some Caribbean folks from Jam-town , Trinidad, and other places...............

Just need to gather all these groups and MAKE change happen!

Spartanburg is half the size of Greenville population wise I believe but has probably double the ethnic entertainment value to be honest........

But life's what you make it.. new experiences can also make this place great, It's just you will get looked at strange if you dont' fit a certain image............
Sorry to Tell you, but just because you are black does NOT make you interesting.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
a lot of people from here moved south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area