Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 09:51 PM

5 posts, read 6,640 times

Advertisements

I have job opportunities in both Greenville/Spartanburg area and Greensboro/Winston-Salem area. I have been able to do enough research to be comfortable moving to either area, except that I have a 14-yr old with autism and haven't found much on the quality of special education in the schools. Does anybody have any insights? (We could live in either Greenville or Spartanburg county in SC; or Forsyth or Guilford county in NC.)

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 08:42 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,789 times
So, what area are you leaning to? My wife and I have lived in city of Greenville for nearly 4 years - my wife is originally from Greensboro and we go there occasionally.

Overall, I'd say the quality of life in the Upstate (specifically, Greenville) is better than Greensboro - the Upstate's economy is superior to the Triad (with Michelin and BMW here - as well as others); so, the economic outlook (in the Upstate) is bright.

As you may know, 2 pro's (in addition to the economic outlook) separate Greenville (SC) from Greensboro:
1. Greenville's downtown
2. Upstate's easy access to the NC mountains

Downtown Greenville is amazing (and improving daily) - I know of no other well developed downtown area in NC (that compares to Greenville, SC; although, I haven't visited Wilmington).

I live just south of downtown Greenville (SC) and am 75 minutes to downtown Asheville. Elevations > 3,000 feet are about 45 minutes to the north. Greensboro, on the other hand, is about 2 hours to Boone.

Without the above positives, there's really little appeal to this area. Outside of the city of Greenville lies significant sprawl, dilapidated strip centers, & sub-standard infrastructure. There are some bright spots in the Upstate: Clemson (35 minutes to the west of Greenville), Furman University, the beautiful lakes of Oconee County, downtown Greer, and the revitalized Traveler's Rest.

I apologize for getting off-topic but I have a passion for both areas.

Unfortunately, you were not clear as to the severity of your son's Autism. I live about 1 mile from the Washington Center. It's a fantastic, relatively new facility that addresses the needs of all challenged children in Greenville County. All public schools are county based in SC - I'd advise calling Greenville County Schools directly at (864) 355-3100 with your questions - they're extremely helpful.

Last edited by drfranklin; 02-23-2013 at 08:54 AM..

Old 02-23-2013, 09:09 AM

596 posts, read 937,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
So, what area are you leaning to? My wife and I have lived in city of Greenville for nearly 4 years - my wife is originally from Greensboro and we go there occasionally.

Overall, I'd say the quality of life in the Upstate (specifically, Greenville) is better than Greensboro - the Upstate's economy is superior to the Triad (with Michelin and BMW here - as well as others); so, the economic outlook (in the Upstate) is bright.

As you may know, 2 pro's (in addition to the economic outlook) separate Greenville (SC) from Greensboro:
1. Greenville's downtown
2. Upstate's easy access to the NC mountains

Downtown Greenville is amazing (and improving daily) - I know of no other well developed downtown area in NC (that compares to Greenville, SC; although, I haven't visited Wilmington).

I live just south of downtown Greenville (SC) and am 75 minutes to downtown Asheville. Elevations > 3,000 feet are about 45 minutes to the north. Greensboro, on the other hand, is about 2 hours to Boone.

Without the above positives, there's really little appeal to this area. Outside of the city of Greenville lies significant sprawl, dilapidated strip centers, & sub-standard infrastructure. There are some bright spots in the Upstate: Clemson (35 minutes to the west of Greenville), Furman University, the beautiful lakes of Oconee County, downtown Greer, and the revitalized Traveler's Rest.

I apologize for getting off-topic but I have a passion for both areas.

Unfortunately, you were not clear as to the severity of your son's Autism. I live about 1 mile from the Washington Center. It's a fantastic, relatively new facility that addresses the needs of all challenged children in Greenville County. All public schools are county based in SC - I'd advise calling Greenville County Schools directly at (864) 355-3100 with your questions - they're extremely helpful.
Wilmington has a nice downtown that is right on the Cape Fear River. It is def. the best one in NC and I think it is as nice as Greenvilles's dtown. Always a lot of people down there especially in the summer. Asheville's downtown is ok but much smaller.

I don't think Greenville has much sprawl compared to anywhere else. They've managed to keep the retail area in a central location on Woodruff Road rather than putting it up all the way down Woodruff to Five Forks, similar to the kind of sprawl on Two Notch Road in Columbia from the mall all the way down to CLemson Road. There is nothing like Kingston Pike in Knoxille or the main suburban drag in Birmingham (280?) in the Greenville area in terms of constant sprawl along one road for miles.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:29 AM

My brother did a work experience with a company in Greensboro while he was still in college.

I think Greensboro/ Winston Salem is a pretty area. The traffic is worse in in G'boro / W-S than Greenville and you get more snow up there. Greenville just tends to get a lot of ice in the winter. I think you'll be closer to the Boone area of NC if youa are in Greensboro / W-S and you are also closer to mountain areas in southwest Virginia around Roanoke. The cost of living is usually higher in NC than SC.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:39 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox35 View Post
Wilmington has a nice downtown that is right on the Cape Fear River. It is def. the best one in NC and I think it is as nice as Greenvilles's dtown. Always a lot of people down there especially in the summer. Asheville's downtown is ok but much smaller.

I don't think Greenville has much sprawl compared to anywhere else. They've managed to keep the retail area in a central location on Woodruff Road rather than putting it up all the way down Woodruff to Five Forks, similar to the kind of sprawl on Two Notch Road in Columbia from the mall all the way down to CLemson Road. There is nothing like Kingston Pike in Knoxille or the main suburban drag in Birmingham (280?) in the Greenville area in terms of constant sprawl along one road for miles.
I'm a Birmingham native and know 280 well - it's sprawl hell - there is nothing like in the Upstate. However, it is 6 lanes, the traffic lights are synched, the road is very well maintained, and the retail is great (I don't recall any dilapidated strip centers).

As for Woodruff Road, it's a "mini-280". I don't understand why this important retail corridor is only 4 lanes.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:53 AM

traffic on 280 is much worse than Woodruff, sometimes it takes awhile just to get on it from the interstate. the retail in birmingham is great and does look better than Greenville overall. Alabama always gets dumped on but B'ham and Huntsville are both nice towns and surprisely upscale looking.

I think ppl in Greenville oppose more lanes b/c it kind of kills the "country" feel of a place to have a 6 lane road going through an area near suburban neighborhoods. Roper Mountain Road probably needs to be 4 lanes now but ppl oppose that.

When I think of sprawl, I think more of newer retail/restaurants along a busy road for several miles. Wade Hampton is probably closest to that much there's not really much b/t Greenville and Greer and traffic on it is nothing like 280 or woodruff.

I can't think of any dilapidated strip centers outside of Wade Hampton, outside of Laurens and North Pleasantburg but every town has old areas like this.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:15 AM
B&R

148 posts, read 316,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post

Just a note on the SC school district situation. About 2/3 of the counties in SC have county based systems. Some of the larger counties have multiple districts however. Richland, Lexington, York are among them. Specifically, since the OP mentioned Spartanburg they should know that Spartanburg has 7 districts so it could make a difference where they live.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:57 PM

5 posts, read 6,640 times
We're in Richland 2 right now, having moved from Chicago area three years ago. We are happier with the schools here than in either district we were in in Illinois. My son does progress in school, but is 3-4 years behind grade level. At his current pace, I do not think he will be able to pass the SC HS exit exam, at least on the reading comprehension side. But I am still hopeful that with a good school and teachers he could still make it.

Two reasons why we might go to Greensboro:
1. The immediate job opportunity is better, but only incrementally. (Beyond the immediate job though, I think long term job opportunities are much better in the Upstate.)
2. NC has an alternate route to a HS diploma for kids like my son that can't pass that type of exam because of mental disabilities but that can otherwise complete coursework. This one point may sway my decision.

Otherwise, we are familiar with the Upstate, except for special education programs, and would love to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area