Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 04:39 PM

245 posts, read 318,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
I'm a business owner in the area, and I deal with many other decision makers; so yes I have a hand in it. Passing judgement lately? I think I'll end here. Have a nice night.
lol, well you should disclose that you have a business in the downtown area or you stand to benefit finanicially if the downtown area is vibrant. full disclosure is always the best policy.

i don't judge people anymore than you do and it isn't a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 04:41 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
Charlotte definitely has people out at night. And their shopping is leagues ahead of Greenville for the things I like. It also has some semblance of a music scene (used to be really good but it's mediocre now but Greenville has a poor music scene).

I love Greenville. I love living here and plan to keep living here for awhile, but Charlotte is a very nice place to live as well and certainly has advantages over Greenville (and some disadvantages too of course)

Old 08-03-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Charlotte definitely has people out at night. And their shopping is leagues ahead of Greenville for the things I like. It also has some semblance of a music scene (used to be really good but it's mediocre now but Greenville has a poor music scene).

I love Greenville. I love living here and plan to keep living here for awhile, but Charlotte is a very nice place to live as well and certainly has advantages over Greenville.
i like downtown Charlotte, i worked there for a few months. it was awesome having all these places to go eat ouside your sky office cubicle.

but if i lived ther,e i'd probably never want to go down there on the weekend b/c of parking and its more corporate vibe.

the older i get the less i care about music. just not the same as when you were young. the feeling really does go away. LOL

Old 08-03-2013, 04:47 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,610,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDew2013 View Post
greenville is leading the non-retiree growth in SC.

I don't see what makes Charlotte so much greater than Greenville. taller buildings downtown, the concert venue, and a NFL team that doesn't do much? "upscale" malls? does downtown Charlotte have many people going there at night? It seems more like an office park than a traditional downtown area to me.
Greenville has not led SC for growth in a long time, if ever. A lot of Greenville's growth is retiree based.

To answer your question about Charlotte, everything. Folks are nicer and less concerned about where you went to school, church, family, etc......, folks are better educated, not as many rednecks, folks don't have an attitude of being "blessed" to live in the city, in short....people in Charlotte are much more welcoming and accepting. transit is better, restaurants are better, instead of one performing arts center, there are 6 downtown alone, the NFL, the NBA, the PGA, NASCAR, shopping, etc. More importantly, and back to what I first said, people are nicer here. People enjoy the city and aren't afraid to bash it when necessary. Charlotte is larger and it is a little unfair to compare with Greenville but, you asked and I have lived in both areas.

As for downtown, your last comment is ignorant. Downtown Charlotte has attractions in every ward to attract folks at night. Between 15-20k folks live downtown (within the loop) which is 1/3 the size of the city of Greenville. Downtown has roughly 20m sq feet of office space with a workforce in the 80k range. So, between the attractions, performing art venues, restaurants, stadiums, convention center, yes, Charlotte has folks downtown day and night.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
i like downtown Charlotte, i worked there for a few months. it was awesome having all these places to live ouside your sky office cubicle.

but if i lived ther,e i'd probably never want to go down there on the weekend b/c of parking and it's more corporate vibe.

the older i get the less i care about music. just not the same as when you were young. the feeling really does go away. LOL
It certainly goes away some for most people, but it all depends on the person. I'm turning 29 soon and I still go to shows frequently (though I have to drive out of town), still buy several dozen albums a year, still write and record music etc. So for me, and a lot of the people I hang out with (most of whom are my age or older than I am actually), it hasn't really gone away that much. A lot of the people I drive out of state with to go see shows are in their mid 30s and still into music as much as I am. We're obviously not your average music-listener though and I realize that.

But, I drive to CLT, durham, raleigh, chapel hill, asheville, atlanta, etc. to see shows and the crowds are packed and predominantly people in my general age bracket. It'd be nice to get something better going in Greenville in that regard.

I lived in Charlotte for about 17 years and am still back there frequently visiting friends, family, going shopping etc. It is a pretty good city and definitely has a lot going on downtown. I love Greenville, but just can't bash Charlotte. I enjoy visiting regularly.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:51 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,610,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
I'm very blessed to live here. I love it! I have a hand in making it a nice place to live. I'm very active in this community.
So, are people not blessed to live in Augusta?

Old 08-03-2013, 04:54 PM

5,485 posts, read 8,317,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
So, are people not blessed to live in Augusta?
If they are happy absolutely.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Greenville has not led SC for growth in a long time, if ever. A lot of Greenville's growth is retiree based.

To answer your question about Charlotte, everything. Folks are nicer and less concerned about where you went to school, church, family, etc......, folks are better educated, not as many rednecks, folks don't have an attitude of being "blessed" to live in the city, in short....people in Charlotte are much more welcoming and accepting. transit is better, restaurants are better, instead of one performing arts center, there are 6 downtown alone, the NFL, the NBA, the PGA, NASCAR, shopping, etc. More importantly, and back to what I first said, people are nicer here. People enjoy the city and aren't afraid to bash it when necessary. Charlotte is larger and it is a little unfair to compare with Greenville but, you asked and I have lived in both areas.

As for downtown, your last comment is ignorant. Downtown Charlotte has attractions in every ward to attract folks at night. Between 15-20k folks live downtown (within the loop) which is 1/3 the size of the city of Greenville. Downtown has roughly 20m sq feet of office space with a workforce in the 80k range. So, between the attractions, performing art venues, restaurants, stadiums, convention center, yes, Charlotte has folks downtown day and night.
I think Greenville is one of the fastest growing cities in the country, so pretty sure it leads SC in populatation increase over past 10 years or so. maybe you are definining growth as something else.

do people who don't live in the downtown area of Charlotte go downtown or uptown very much outside of a special thing liek after a nba game or nfl game? I just don't think I would if i lived there.

i don't buy people in charlotte are nicer or more educated or less redneck than people in Greenville. Sounds like classic confirmation bias. You wanted to blelieve that and you looked for evidence of it to confirm it while blocking out evidence that contradicts it.

I don't care about pro sports or big concerts so all the additional costs of living in charlotte plus the traffic would not have any real payoff. I'd only be living there for the job and the weather for the most part.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
It certainly goes away some for most people, but it all depends on the person. I'm turning 29 soon and I still go to shows frequently (though I have to drive out of town), still buy several dozen albums a year, still write and record music etc. So for me, and a lot of the people I hang out with (most of whom are my age or older than I am actually), it hasn't really gone away that much. A lot of the people I drive out of state with to go see shows are in their mid 30s and still into music as much as I am. We're obviously not your average music-listener though and I realize that.

But, I drive to CLT, durham, raleigh, chapel hill, asheville, atlanta, etc. to see shows and the crowds are packed and predominantly people in my general age bracket. It'd be nice to get something better going in Greenville in that regard.

I lived in Charlotte for about 17 years and am still back there frequently visiting friends, family, going shopping etc. It is a pretty good city and definitely has a lot going on downtown. I love Greenville, but just can't bash Charlotte. I enjoy visiting regularly.
i'm not bashing charlotte, these downtown competition debates are silly in my view. it is a nice downtown but i think going there is more of a hassle and i'm trying to live a hassle free life. i grew up in Florence which had no downtown to speak of so i don't really orient myself around needing a vibrant downtown area. All i am mostly going to do downtown is socialize and eat and you can do that in the burbs or at at a friend's house jsut as well.

it is cool you enjoy music still, I like it but i always felt goofy going to watch people play because there isn't much to look at and it costs too much for a one time thing. I could put on a concert in my own house multiple times and not be forced to watch them playing the intruments and the sound quality will be better.

I'm surprised they didn't put that outdoor concert venue located in S'ville in the downtown area of Greenville instead, given all attention on downtown these days.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
do people who don't live in the downtown area of Charlotte go downtown or uptown very much outside of a special thing liek after a nba game or nfl game? I just don't think I would if i lived there.
Quite often yes. Neither my parents nor my wife parents live downtown and we go downtown for shopping, restaurants, bars, etc. when we are there. One thing to note though is that Charlotte has many areas/pockets/districts of the city with more localized draws. Greenville does not have that to nearly the same extent. This skews what you might consider "downtown" and the number of people you are viewing "downtown" in Charlotte. The downtown is nice there, but they also have a lot to do just outside of the areas most people might consider "downtown" in different areas of the city, so when you're trying to compare it to something like Greenville where the downtown is very localized and condensed into one main area it is tough. The cities are too different in size and style to really compare to be honest. Both are good and bot have advantages and disadvantages.

Charlotte is a great place to live with LOTS to do and lots of diversity. People are certainly out downtown and people certainly go downtown regularly who do not live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area