Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 05:11 PM

170 posts, read 356,044 times

Advertisements

The Swamp Rabbit Grocery and Cafe on Cedar Lane Road has a lot of local produce, meats and foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 09:08 PM

141 posts, read 240,856 times
Re: the farmer's market stand in Mauldin. I live only a few miles from there, so I went and checked out the stand today. What an, um, interesting place! They had certain sort of in-season fruits/veggies at fantastic prices. Nice looking apples of various varieties for $.99/pound for example. Some melons at good prices, etc.

But the inside of the shop is pretty weird. One one side it's a weird random mish-mash of nonperishable groceries that look, to put it mildly, ANCIENT. Dusty and dirty. For real. I promise it is a sight to behold!

The Tomato Vine up near Furman is a really nice produce store. I used to love going there a decade ago when we lived up that way. I wonder if it's still there?

Eager to check out the Simpsonville Saturday market since that is closer for us than downtown Greenville's.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:42 AM

39 posts, read 95,667 times
I shop at all...like whole foods best but like prices at TJs best. I love TJs but have gotten so frustrated with them. As soon as I find a fav product, it's discontinued. So frustrating. I like earhfare, its just way out of my way. Its the only one where i can get carrot juice though, which is a treat for me. Where's greenbrier...or swamp rabbit grocery?

Old 09-04-2013, 02:06 PM

90 posts, read 277,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthByMidwest View Post
Re: the farmer's market stand in Mauldin. I live only a few miles from there, so I went and checked out the stand today. What an, um, interesting place! They had certain sort of in-season fruits/veggies at fantastic prices. Nice looking apples of various varieties for $.99/pound for example. Some melons at good prices, etc.

But the inside of the shop is pretty weird. One one side it's a weird random mish-mash of nonperishable groceries that look, to put it mildly, ANCIENT. Dusty and dirty. For real. I promise it is a sight to behold!

The Tomato Vine up near Furman is a really nice produce store. I used to love going there a decade ago when we lived up that way. I wonder if it's still there?

Eager to check out the Simpsonville Saturday market since that is closer for us than downtown Greenville's.
Yes, I forgot to mention that. I think I purposefully blocked it out of my memory! lol. Very interesting I agree! Feels like some roadside cabin markets I have been in much deeper in Appalachia... but that aside, they do have lots of locally grown fresh produce daily, outside and the prices are good. Inside there's more non-seasonal produce that seems to be brought in from outside the area.

Oh, they do have lots of more unique old fashioned type sodas in glass bottles. My son and I walk there sometimes, and that's one of his favorite parts.

Def. check out the Simpsonville market- I found the prices to be so much more reasonable than the downtown market. The owners of Bethel Trails farms are always there and they have great quality pasture raised beef, chicken and pork, as well as chicken and duck eggs. Several excellent produce stands as well. There's some strange kitchsy type of vendors that you might see towards the edge of the parking lot there, but make it past those and you'll find some good sources. This market is very small compared to downtown, but for me, worth it due to the lower prices.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:23 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,536 times
I prefer Whole Foods to Earth Fare. Earth Fare is a nice store, but their hot bar does not measure up to Whole Foods. Whole Foods in Greenville also seems to be much busier and in a high traffic area. The good part of that is that they can support more specialty items and the food may be fresher due to turnover. The bad part is longer lines and more stress getting in and out of the place.

I believe Whole foods is a national retail chain which allows them to have more variety and their own brands. But, I wouldn't hesitate to use Earth Fare if it was closer or had all the products I needed. Its a nice store and local (albeit NC based) stores need our support too.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:34 AM

131 posts, read 214,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthByMidwest View Post

The Tomato Vine is still open, my wife goes there often. It is out of my way so I rarely think about it.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:15 AM

723 posts, read 1,150,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libellula View Post
Def. check out the Simpsonville market- I found the prices to be so much more reasonable than the downtown market. The owners of Bethel Trails farms are always there and they have great quality pasture raised beef, chicken and pork, as well as chicken and duck eggs. Several excellent produce stands as well. There's some strange kitchsy type of vendors that you might see towards the edge of the parking lot there, but make it past those and you'll find some good sources. This market is very small compared to downtown, but for me, worth it due to the lower prices.
I learned just today (though this is slightly old news) that the Simpsonville Farmers' Market, which was originally scheduled to end August 31, has been approved to stay open through September and into October. It runs 8-12 on Saturdays in City Park, 310 West Curtis Street, Simpsonville, next to the Simpsonville Police Department.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:08 PM

156 posts, read 356,430 times
We have lots of allergies in this house so we shop these places frequently. We are a little far from Fresh Market but they carry some brands I have yet to find in WF,TJ or Earth Fare. When I do go there, their prices are ridiculous.
Price wise -- Trader Joe's is great for 'processed type' foods and their own TJ's brands. We buy our gluten free waffles, rice krispie bars (gluten and dairy free) and Udi's Gluten free bagels, and lunchmeats weekly. Whole foods has the broadest selection and it is easy to go online to see their prices and sales. By far, Earth Fare has some of the BEST sales. Things I'd normally pay $4.99 can be marked down to $2.99 when I'm paying attention. Some of the regular stores now carry a lot of the same things (you can find organic spinach at walmart, and gluten free items most anywhere). Good luck!

Old 09-07-2013, 12:12 PM

156 posts, read 356,430 times
Sunandsweett -- TJ's carries Carrot Juice in the dairy section. But I agree with you on them discontinuing stuff. It does get frustrating. They've discontinued their Cassava Chips, powdered all natural lemonade and Cherry Pomegranate packets, and Highbrow Chocolate Chip Cookies, among other things. Boo.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:56 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,864,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenvilleEngineer View Post
The Tomato Vine is still open, my wife goes there often. It is out of my way so I rarely think about it.
Tomato Vine is really a cool place to go on the weekends. I remember the first time I stumbled upon it.....shocked it existed, as it sort of flies under the radar of most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area