Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2013, 06:19 PM

3 posts, read 6,371 times

Advertisements

We have visited Greenville several times and really like the area. It is the kind of "suburban" area we like. We are originally from northern states, moved to Myrtle Beach about 10 years ago but it has never really clicked for us here. However, Greenville seems to have the diverse, family oriented atmosphere we are looking for. Also want to know if locals feel job growth is better in Greenville than MB (I realize economy is hurting all over the country). We would appreciate to hear from locals as well as transplants. We want this to be our final move as our child will be school age soon. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 07:44 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,697 times
Like anywhere right now, I'd find a job before you move.

We moved here 2 1/2 years ago and like it pretty well. I'm an outdoorsy person so I enjoy all the opportunities to go hiking, kayaking, camping, etc.

Schools in the Greenville area can be spotty so you will want to carefully research the school districts before you decide on where to buy a home.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:54 AM

411 posts, read 853,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbles View Post
We have visited Greenville several times and really like the area. It is the kind of "suburban" area we like. We are originally from northern states, moved to Myrtle Beach about 10 years ago but it has never really clicked for us here. However, Greenville seems to have the diverse, family oriented atmosphere we are looking for. Also want to know if locals feel job growth is better in Greenville than MB (I realize economy is hurting all over the country). We would appreciate to hear from locals as well as transplants. We want this to be our final move as our child will be school age soon. Thanks.
You will have to give more specifics a bout your fields of work before we can speak to it. In general, the medical fields seem to be hiring all the time, and the technology fields seem to be picking up. Greenville is no Silicone Valley, but the ICAR campus and related businesses have established a presence. Banking seems to be picking up as well with the opening of TD Bank in the region.

As the other poster mentioned, it's always best to have jobs in hand before moving.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousejunkie View Post
You will have to give more specifics a bout your fields of work before we can speak to it. In general, the medical fields seem to be hiring all the time, and the technology fields seem to be picking up. Greenville is no Silicone Valley, but the ICAR campus and related businesses have established a presence. Banking seems to be picking up as well with the opening of TD Bank in the region.

As the other poster mentioned, it's always best to have jobs in hand before moving.
Thanks for replying. We definitely have a lot more research to do and would not make a move unless one of us found a job first. My husband has worked in corporate security and law enforcement. I have worked in various industries as an administrative/executive assistant.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
Like anywhere right now, I'd find a job before you move.

We moved here 2 1/2 years ago and like it pretty well. I'm an outdoorsy person so I enjoy all the opportunities to go hiking, kayaking, camping, etc.

Schools in the Greenville area can be spotty so you will want to carefully research the school districts before you decide on where to buy a home.
We also enjoy hiking, camping, the state parks, mountains, etc... more than the beach. Hence the attraction to Greenville. We are not in a super hurry, so we plan to take our time and research the area further. Thank you for responding.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:26 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,069 times
I have been here for 20 years now and love it, a transplant from NJ/ NY area. Would prefer it any day over Myrtle Beach.

One of the two should get a well paying job before moving here. Otherwise it might turn out to be a costly mistake.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area