Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 04:12 PM

372 posts, read 809,306 times

Advertisements

What it is like living in Greenville? By looking at the crime stats it would sound like things are running rapid there. I know it is difficult at best to decipher what everything means. So I thought i would send this out to the ones that know best, the people that live there. I am an x-ray/CT tech and I am looking to get out of the northeast and have been looking at SC for quite some time now. I would appreciate any info input you can give me about everything, cost of living, housing,(rent), cable, cell phone coverage(sprint),taxes. general stuff. Thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 06:50 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,535,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydude View Post
By looking at the crime stats it would sound like things are running rapid there.
I guess you mean rampant. Of course at my age, I don't run very fast.

I moved here a year ago and feel perfectly safe everywhere I normally go. Of course I don't go in the seedy part(s) of town (Yes, every town has them). I didn't move here by choice; my husband was transferred and I preferred moving to getting divorced. However, I really like it here. Greenville is a great town.

As for all the information you are asking about... there is a ton of information already posted on this forum. I'd suggest scrolling through and spending some time here using the search function, and then maybe you'll have some more specifically targeted questions.

It would also be helpful to know where you are moving from in order to make appropriate comparisons for cost of living, taxes, etc.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:31 PM

347 posts, read 980,919 times
I moved here from South Florida a few years ago. I was amazed that children were allowed to go out on their own and play in the neighborhood. Growing up in Ft. Lauderdale, we weren't allowed to go any further then the end of the block (where our parents could still see us).
I lived in West Palm Beach for 8 years also, and my car was robbed twice (an old Corsica, nothing fancy, i guess they figured it certainly wouldn't have an alarm).
Also, every woman I've ever known from South Florida has been mugged at some point at least once. I wasn't in bad neighborhoods or anything (the car was robbed in Boca Raton), it's just the way it is. Around here, it's not nearly as common. When cars get robbed or someone gets mugged, it practically makes the front page of the newspaper.
I feel much safer here, and I'm staying because it's a great place for my step-son to grow up. There's not as much action, and I see the same people all the time whenever I go out, but that's okay, I'm starting to get used to it.
Like any other city, there are bad neighborhoods, and occasionally the crime leaks into regular suburbia, but all-in-all I believe it's certainly much safer than a lot of other cities in this country.

As far as taxes, cost of living, etc. are concerned, I'd take roadpony's advice and search around on this forum. There's a lot of really helpful info here, you just have to look for it a little.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:40 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,715,454 times
Quote:
What it is like living in Greenville? By looking at the crime stats it would sound like things are running rapid there. I know it is difficult at best to decipher what everything means. So I thought i would send this out to the ones that know best, the people that live there. I am an x-ray/CT tech and I am looking to get out of the northeast and have been looking at SC for quite some time now. I would appreciate any info input you can give me about everything, cost of living, housing,(rent), cable, cell phone coverage(sprint),taxes. general stuff. Thanks a bunch.
Everything you want to know has been asked and answered dozens and dozens of times on this very board. Just use the search feature, and advanced search if you want to get really specific. I've lived in NY, NJ, Canada, Alaska, Florida and California and this is the best place to live, work and raise a family, in my opinion. Oh, and as for being from the Northeast, you and every 8th resident.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:08 AM

372 posts, read 809,306 times
thank you for your input. I will start searching around and then get more specific later on.
Thanks

Old 05-28-2009, 01:59 PM

47 posts, read 121,996 times
Quote:
thank you for your input. I will start searching around and then get more specific later on.
Thanks
I moved here from the north almost two years ago, one of the things that worried me were the crime stats. However i have to say i dont see it, this is a great town with lots to do and plenty of friendly people. wherever the crime is i dont see it. i have 5 children and we all feel safe as can be here.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,550 times
Roadpony,

I came across one of your posts when I was serching the net for skiing resorts in NC. Its my first time participating in a forum so if i get any replies it means that I have figured out how to do it right. Im from brazil and Im planing on taking my family skiing next year. I`d like some tips on best places to ski in your state. Hope to hear from you.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:19 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,472,529 times
Well, xantipa, this is the South Carolina forum so you might want to direct your question to the North Carolina forum since you are interested in skiing there. Sending a private message to xantipa seems like the best way to go, if you are able to send direct messages yet (not sure if there is a minimum number of posts you must reach before doing so).

But since you asked, if you are going to the trouble of traveling to the United States to ski, I would recommend somewhere in the Western US. Skiing in the Eastern US, while decent, pales in comparison to what you'll find in Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming. I can recommend the ski resorts near Salt Lake City, UT (Snow Basin, Park City, etc.). Salt Lake City's airport is easy to fly into, and those great ski resorts are within an hour's drive. It is far superior to the skiing you will find in North Carolina.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:45 AM

36 posts, read 105,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleEllyn View Post
I moved here from South Florida a few years ago. I was amazed that children were allowed to go out on their own and play in the neighborhood. Growing up in Ft. Lauderdale, we weren't allowed to go any further then the end of the block (where our parents could still see us).
I lived in West Palm Beach for 8 years also, and my car was robbed twice (an old Corsica, nothing fancy, i guess they figured it certainly wouldn't have an alarm).
Also, every woman I've ever known from South Florida has been mugged at some point at least once. I wasn't in bad neighborhoods or anything (the car was robbed in Boca Raton), it's just the way it is. Around here, it's not nearly as common. When cars get robbed or someone gets mugged, it practically makes the front page of the newspaper.
I feel much safer here, and I'm staying because it's a great place for my step-son to grow up. There's not as much action, and I see the same people all the time whenever I go out, but that's okay, I'm starting to get used to it.
Like any other city, there are bad neighborhoods, and occasionally the crime leaks into regular suburbia, but all-in-all I believe it's certainly much safer than a lot of other cities in this country.

As far as taxes, cost of living, etc. are concerned, I'd take roadpony's advice and search around on this forum. There's a lot of really helpful info here, you just have to look for it a little.
I believe you have a false sense of security, letting your children out to play unattended. I have lived here all my life and have never done that. You might want to rethink that. Greenville is not as safe as you might think.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:44 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,472,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamIam View Post
I believe you have a false sense of security, letting your children out to play unattended. I have lived here all my life and have never done that. You might want to rethink that. Greenville is not as safe as you might think.
It has nothing to do with Greenville being "unsafe," but rather that you cannot trust other people to have the same level of concern for your children that you do. This is a medium to large metro area, which is bound to have some people here and there who aren't looking out for the best interest of your children. That is going to be the case anywhere but in the smallest towns (which are likely to be stuck in the 1950s in many other ways, too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area