Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:39 PM

63 posts, read 212,840 times

Advertisements

If you (retired couples w/no kids at home) were out looking for a new home.. what would you like in a house (ie. wood floors?, low maint (small yard), 1 story house?) let me know.. Also.. where would your search begin for this kind of home? *NOTE* I am not advertising in any way.. just curious

thanks
merle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 04:22 AM

745 posts, read 2,235,958 times
Interesting question. I think that as the baby boomers become empty nesters, people will be looking for a much wider range of homes than previous generations. We will fit that category when we build in SC, although we won't be retired for 10-15 years. Since this will (hopefully) be our last home, we are looking towards making it comfortable for our retirement years. Here's what we're planning: Very small by current standards. I'm trying to make the main floor about 1200 sq. ft. Full basement, probably with finished guest quarters. Large, open public area, encompassing LR, DR, and kitchen. Roomy master suite with a big walk-in closet/dressing room. 2 bathrooms. We have found that we only regularly use about half of our current 1600 sq ft home. We have 7 acres, but most of it will remain woods, with a small, low-maintenance yard. The goal is to have a small, energy efficient space, with expandable guest quarters for occasional use. The interior will be basic and rustic, with wood floors, but not bowling alley perfect. With dogs and muddy boots, we don't want to fret over the floors. 9 or 10 foot ceilings; lots of windows; 36" doors throughout. I'll put blocking in the bathroom walls for hand rails should I want to add them at some time. The exterior will be simple, with a metal roof and Hardi siding for easy care. I'd like both a long front porch, and a big screened porch in the rear. We want a house that is affordable to buy, and cheap to 'feed'. No 'mcmansions' here!

Old 02-05-2008, 06:12 PM

45 posts, read 110,682 times
Less space, maintenance, yard work...but not wedged in with other houses. Natural setting. 1800-2000 sf with 2 car garage. Open floor plan that flows, 9ft ceilings, wood and tile flooring, outside decking, nice view in back, quiet street but close to shopping (2-4 miles.) Upper and lower level would be fine. Stairs are good cardio exercise. Decent sized kitchen, office/computer room. Nice sized laundry/storage. I could go on...there are going to be mucho BB's very, very soon

Old 02-05-2008, 09:10 PM

548 posts, read 1,981,898 times
probably single floor but ok if it has a guest room w/bath upstairs. No living room or dining room, an absolute waste of space. Also add a large foyer is a waste. Rather perhaps a small office/sitting room for computer, large great room and eat in kitchen. Yes, small low maintenance yard but then I want the beach so it could be all sand ;-). Good sized master bedroom and bath but don't really need the massive baths that seem to be in all the designer mags (who cleans it?). An absolute must is wiring done while building for computers/tv etc. so that all the cords aren't a hassle. Lots of storage whether a full basement or attached storage area and as I say every year at Christmas a hidden closet near where I place the "fake" Christmas tree so it can be just rolled in and out without decorating or undecorating (can we say I'm lazy ;-) ) Husband would require a large garage for all his doo-dads. Wood floors would be a plus, especially at the beach.

And as I stated earlier *my* requirement is near the beach though not necessarily beach front. Oh and affordable <G>

So when are you building my dream home???

Old 02-05-2008, 11:03 PM

63 posts, read 212,840 times
thanks everyone.. i think im on track.. except for janrey (would love to build at the beach, but would have to make too much bc after your house i would want to play in the sand also lol)

Old 02-06-2008, 01:37 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,965,351 times
Smaller home but in a nice neighborhood. 1200-1400 sq ft. Prefer wood or laminate flooring, ceramic tile in kitchen & bathrooms. 3 bedrooms or 2 bedrooms with an office. The most important thing for me is peace & quiet, however. I like lots of trees and a wooded setting at the end of a street with little traffic. (The new developments look bare to me.) I prefer everything on one level, although I would buy a house with 2 floors. I just don't want to be heating and cooling 2 levels when I will rarely use the upper rooms, if the master is on the lower level. Closet space is also important, although most new homes have walk-in closets. Fireplace with gas logs and a 2-car garage. A screened porch in the back and a small deck.

Isn't this the Greenville forum? Where's the beach?

Last edited by justNancy; 02-06-2008 at 01:46 AM..

Old 02-06-2008, 03:36 AM

745 posts, read 2,235,958 times
Trees are important to older folks- we don't have enough years left to grow new ones!

Old 02-06-2008, 05:06 PM

548 posts, read 1,981,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBuilder06 View Post
thanks everyone.. i think im on track.. except for janrey (would love to build at the beach, but would have to make too much bc after your house i would want to play in the sand also lol)

Well if you bring the wine it'd be the first step to getting an invite ;-)

Old 02-06-2008, 07:18 PM

50,407 posts, read 64,151,599 times
We want the kitchen as the center of the home.. high end appliances, island, granite, walk in pantry, lower cabinet drawers, sitting room for TV off kitchen.
No formal dining room, but plenty of room for a large table when necessary.
A second master suite for guests.
Office.
Walk in closets in master bedroom.
Great room. Plenty of light and access to outside. No fireplace unless it's gas. No pool. I'd rather have a deep soaking tub than a jacuzzi. And higher toilets. Laundry adjacent to bedrooms.
Small yard, but still private. Must have 3 car garage...I just don't get why these are so rare in the south when you don't have basements either.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:29 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,261,837 times
Smile What kind of home would we like?

Our children are not yet married and while that may be a few years off, we would need space for them and later on, for their families.

Dream home:
One level, no steps, wood floors, some carpeting in bedrooms, updated kitchen and bathrooms, exercise/work out room, probably 4 bedrooms but I like the 2 master idea. Cozy family room/game room concept for fun times.
Do homes in Greenville area have pools?

This would be a second home for us. Our Florida home is near the beach so we will get our beach fix there!

Square footage - we are self employed so we like space! Most likely, we may work out of the home so that is different for us!

Stuff to dream about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area