Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 02:26 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,653,739 times

Advertisements

Sorry but if you are not Republican in SC you will be in a minority.

I'd never live there, but I have relatives who love it. They are conservative Republicans.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:46 PM

723 posts, read 1,148,882 times
As a former New Englander and current liberal, all I can say is this is a pretty good place to live. I appreciate the diversity that exists here as opposed to the pretense of diversity that I have observed in some other places I have lived. I have known a number of multiracial and multiethnic families in the South, including some international adoptions, and I have never observed any problems in acceptance. This is one of the many pleasant surprises I have experienced while learning to overcome more of my own preconceived notions about the South than I ever imagined I had. Your mileage may vary.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:57 PM

5,485 posts, read 8,317,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Yes I do, considering what you wrote initially & where you live now.
Personally speaking I would never consider it for myself. As a matter of fact, metro Greenville-Spartanburg is perhaps the most conservative of the larger metros in the one of the most crimson red of red states; one which is so far skewed to the right politically & socially that it actually makes my own red state of residence appear reasonable in comparison.
If you treasure the New England characteristic attitudes toward the live and let live perspective, reticence toward pushing religion & politics & the proselytization thereof, and the tendency toward moderation, you would not fit in in Greenville-Spartanburg, much less hardly anywhere in South Carolina. It is an entirely different dynamic there than what you are acquainted with in Maine. Yes, there is more racial diversity in the state than what is found in Maine, but there is relatively little ethnic diversity beyond that.
Surely if you are seeking diversity, you could find it in any number of moderate states (not even necessarrily blue ones like Maine) & perhaps find that you fit in.
I beg to differ. My situation isn't much different from the op and I enjoy Greenville. They may or may not like it. Different strokes for different folks, but they need to make a visit and determine that on their own. Have you lived in Greenville before? Just curious.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:07 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,757,407 times
I know many conservative white couples with adopted African-American children. I think for the most part, no one in this area will care. Bring your wonderful family on down and enjoy the Greenville area. It's a wonderful place to raise your children.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:09 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
Quote:
Personally speaking I would never consider it for myself. As a matter of fact, metro Greenville-Spartanburg is perhaps the most conservative of the larger metros in the one of the most crimson red of red states; one which is so far skewed to the right politically & socially that it actually makes my own red state of residence appear reasonable in comparison.
If you treasure the New England characteristic attitudes toward the live and let live perspective, reticence toward pushing religion & politics & the proselytization thereof, and the tendency toward moderation, you would not fit in in Greenville-Spartanburg, much less hardly anywhere in South Carolina. It is an entirely different dynamic there than what you are acquainted with in Maine. Yes, there is more racial diversity in the state than what is found in Maine, but there is relatively little ethnic diversity beyond that.
Surely if you are seeking diversity, you could find it in any number of moderate states (not even necessarrily blue ones like Maine) & perhaps find that you fit in.

It sounds like you don't know much about this area. There is a significant amount of ethnic diversity beyond racial diversity in this area. There is a significant Greek population in this area, with quite a few Greek restaurants and Greek festivals. There is a significant French population that started mainly due to transplants working for Michelin, but that has grown over time. There is a significant German population that came with BMW and the many suppliers that followed. Like much of the rest of the US, there is a significant Hispanic population. It isn't unusual to hear several different languages spoken when walking through downtown.

The area is conservative for certain. I haven't had anyone push religion or politics on me more here than in many other places I have lived in the US. SC is very, very different from Maine. Maine tends to lean toward independent minded liberals whereas SC tend to have more of a libertarian leaning conservative bent. As I said previously, I would honestly be more worried about someone that identifies as liberal fitting in than anything else. Some liberal leaning folks are okay with being in the minority politically, others are not, and that difference is likely to determine whether the OP would enjoy living here.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:49 PM

179 posts, read 328,683 times
There is a high adoption rate in the area due to the high population of people with religious backgrounds in the area. Those being mostly asian and african.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:02 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,443,013 times
OP: I don't live in Greenville, just visit family in the area a lot. But this is just general advice for moving to any town.

Why don't you take a week to ten day vacation and be a "local". Go to a couple of different grocery stores, the library, a couple of local parks, a movie theater, the mall, take a stroll around a neighborhood on a warm day-- people will be outside doing yard work etc. -- tell people you are looking at moving there, ask them what the neighborhood, schools, play groups, sports teams are like etc. Things you would be doing when you live there. If your child is "into" a sport or specific activity -- ie, ballet -- go to the ballet school and talk to them. People in the South generally are pretty chatty so it's easy to strike up a conversation and we're always quick to give opinions.

Stay away from the tourist areas; those aren't the "real" thing. Places that depend on tourists will always be friendly and eager to make you feel welcome.

You'll figure out pretty fast if it's a good fit.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:40 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,790,175 times
I think you would have some pretty major culture shock moving here. I'll stick to what you asked about, politics and race.

Obviously, the politics are hugely conservative, especially in the white community, despite the huge amount of Federal dollars that built and continue to build this place. So just be prepared to see Fox News on everywhere, and ignorance to abound all around.

For every federal tax dollar a SC resident pays, they get almost $2.00 back, yet our Governor and most locals LOVE to talk about how the Federal government is ruinin' 'Merica.

It's best to just keep your mouth shut about politics (and definitely religion if you are not Christian), and quietly find your people. We are here, but it's harder to find like-minded folk here. Opening your mouth can cause real problems, socially and professionally.

When people talk about diversity here, I have to say that on paper there are a lot more black people here, but the place is severely segregated. There are NO black people in my neighborhood, but go down the way a few blocks and probably every household is black.

There's a significant Latino crowd here, as is true everywhere these days. But to say there is a significant group of any other group has to be viewed from the lens of someone who hasn't really lived in a really culturally diverse place. Michelin and BMW bring in a few Germans and a handful of French. But they are a tiny, tiny fraction of the population.

Being white parents of a black child shouldn't cause any problems. That computes. Now turn that situation around with black parents of a white child, and some people around here will be tempted to call the cops. Especially if the dad has the kids without the mom.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:00 AM

690 posts, read 1,145,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
Sorry but if you are not Republican in SC you will be in a minority.

I'd never live there, but I have relatives who love it. They are conservative Republicans.
Then please don't comment on stuff you don't know. If you don't live here then you can't give a solid opinion.

Also, there are a lot of Indians here. Fluor, GE, Windstream, AA, Infor, etc hire a lot of Indian software developers. Super nice folks.

We need more Pinoy's though. I need some Lumpia, Lechon Kawali, Balut and more!

Old 02-18-2014, 09:27 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,096,453 times
I've never seen you post here before and you don't live here, yet you seem to be the authority on the area; very obnoxious. As far as the Northeast being a "live and let live area" LOLOLOLOLOL; the same area where the mayor of Boston said that Chick-Fil-A was not welcome because they supported traditional marriage? The same area where the governor of NY and mayor of NYC said that if you were pro-life and believed in traditional marriage, you weren't welcome in their state? That area? Liberal Tolerance is America's greatest oxymoron, you only tolerate people that you agree with. Where's the nobility in that? The northeast is hemorrhaging people (mainly to the south east) because of leftist policies of overbearing taxes and a HUGE government industrial complex that want to control every aspect of our lives from cradle to grave.

To the OP; we are a bi-raicial family that moved here from Los Angeles and there are several families of mixed race in our church. Yes, this is a very conservative part of the country, but that's why we specifically chose it; most of California and the North East is extremely bigoted and intolerant of conservative Christians. Most of us here simply belief that YOU know what's best for you and your family, not some over reaching government bureaucrat. We believe that we should help the less fortunate, but through charity, aide and volunteerism, not a government mandated increase in taxes that will waste millions of dollars with no accountability. So, yes, you are welcome with open arms, but please don't try to change it to be like the place that you left. We must break free from the oppressive shackles of liberal tyranny and fascism and re-embrace our Constitutional God given rights of personal freedom and liberty. Power to the People!

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area