Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 06:48 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,209 times

Advertisements

According to Wikipedia, corporal punishment is legal in South Carolina schools, as it is in most of the South. This is mind-boggling to me. This doesn't happen in SC public schools, does it? Particularly Greenville County schools?

Corporal punishment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 08:33 AM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Legal and used are two different things. Most, if not all, districts have policies against it..

I remember in the late 70's, it was a threat at the parochial school I went to in Abbeville, but again, was rarely, if ever used.

Info I found, only districts in SC that don't have a policy against it are

• Anderson School District One
  • Anderson School District Three
  • Greenwood District 51
  • Cherokee County School District
  • Abbeville County School District

Old 02-20-2014, 12:09 PM

243 posts, read 282,982 times
the middle school I went to in Berkeley Co. is the only one I have ever heard of using it and they stopped when I was in 7th grade I think (I graduated from high school in 2004 to give you a time frame reference). It was used sparingly ( I can only think of 3 people I remember it being used on) and was never used for first time or minor offenses. Basically the parents were given a choice between it or at a suspension of at least a week.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,572 times
I live in Greenwood. It may be 'legal', but I am sure it has not happened for many, may years. The parents would riot, and the teacher would lose their job in the blink of an eye.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:00 PM

503 posts, read 693,198 times
I wish it would happen more...These kids are out of control. I remember a day when you got it at school and guess what you got home and got it from mama and then got a "just wait till your dad comes home" and he would really give it to you...and guess what you learned really fast to never do that again.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:16 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,032 times
Coastmaster I agree. We had it up until 6th grade when I was in school. Kids today have absolutely no manners, no respect, no discipline, and the parents are just as bad.

Today's kids are as quick to threaten a lawsuit as an adult. Our society in 20 years will suffer a lot due to this new age of coddling our kids.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:41 AM

99 posts, read 213,632 times
I grew up in Greenwood, where schools administered corporal punishment at least through my junior high years (I graduated high school in '83). Every teacher had a strap or a paddle hanging next to the blackboard -- ie prominently displayed --and many had pet names like 'The Board of Education' and 'Switch Your Attitude.'

The involved teacher wasn't allowed to paddle the offender: s/he had to get an impartial teacher to do it ... supposedly this kept emotion out of it. Most of the time you got strapped in front of the entire class which added public humiliation to the process.

For most of us, the mere threat was enough to keep us in line.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:05 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times
I still believe the "benefits" of corporal punishment are grossly overstated by the older generations, especially in the South. Just because it "worked" doesn't mean it is the right or best thing to do; flaying people in centuries past "worked" to get them to talk. Does that mean we should still do it today?

I am 29 and at my elementary school parents had to sign waivers for the principal or staff to be able to paddle or physically punish students in my time there. Thankfully my parents did not sign that since I wasn't going to school in the 1800s.

My parents never really physically punished me but were good parents and punished justly. They were involved in my life and when I did something wrong they taught me WHY what I did was wrong then I was punished, but not physically. As a result, I never feared my parents but instead felt comfortable talking to them about any problems in my life as I grew up and learned to do the "right" thing because it was the polite/socially acceptable/moral thing to do and not because I was afraid I would get caught or punished.

I agree that there is less of a sense of manners in people 10 years younger than myself, but I don't think it has anything to do with corporal punishment in schools.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:49 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,792,481 times
The high level of ignorance in this area of the world still continues to astound me.

Just the slightest bit of research into corporal punishment reveals how bad it is for kids, and the adults they become.

Google it. And join the 21st century.

If you hit your kids, you're not helping them and most likely you are causing them harm. If you hit your kids, you're the problem, not your kids.

If a teacher were to touch a child of mine, damn straight they are going to get everything I have to give. Law suits, media attention, everything I can possibly do to make sure that NEVER happens to another kid in this area.

There is no excuse for it. I worked with kids of all ages for many years, including some very difficult ones. And NEVER would it have been appropriate (or helpful) to physically strike one of them. That would have been a huge failure on my part, and a reflection on me, not them.

Kids learn way more from parents and adults actions, and to willingly teach them that hitting each other solves problems is so barbaric/redneck/bassackwards, it boggles my mind.

If you have to parent through intimidation and fear, you are a failed parent. And a failed human being.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:58 AM

481 posts, read 864,904 times
Wow!!! Such an unbalanced topic and unbalanced responses here. The whole lot....lol. Just goes to say that anything goes and being unbalanced in everything people say, do, and hear is the norm (normal or new trend) for these days and times.

All this topic does is just add to the whole disunity of this such fallen world.

Darkness is the norm for this world these days and times....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area