Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 04:48 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times

Advertisements

I heard of a local rental management company on the radio that offers their services for only $30 a month. I can't recall the name, but if that is true, it would be something to look into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 07:01 AM

506 posts, read 1,221,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter6251 View Post
For any of you that do own rental houses, I have a question. Do you use a property management company to find the tenants and collect the rent, or do you save the 10% and do everything yourself?
I pay a property manager 8% to do it. I don't want to deal with the headache, and they do *everything* including filter out applicants, background checks, maintenance, getting the house rented/re-rented, taking pictures, etc. The most I have to deal with is the occasional call asking if its OK to send out a handyman to fix something or if I want to go check it out myself first. They had someone in the house within 5 days of listing it with them and the people living in it now (about 10 months in) have been great. I'm hoping they renew.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:33 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,503,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter6251 View Post
For any of you that do own rental houses, I have a question. Do you use a property management company to find the tenants and collect the rent, or do you save the 10% and do everything yourself?
I live in Mount Pleasant, 3.5 hours away from my property and manage it by myself. We had a HORRIBLE experience with a property management company and they violated our contract. It's not hard to manage it. The hardest part is finding a tenant and doing background checks when I'm not in the area. BUT, you can get a property management company to do that for you.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:16 PM

31 posts, read 50,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNY2GRNVL View Post
I handle it myself, it's not hard if you're good with a computer and taken a few business courses.

For Legal Forms: https://www.ezlandlordforms.com/

For Public Record Background Check and Credit Check: https://connect.experian.com/

Now I'm renting on the west side of Greenville in walking distance to the baseball stadium, but I have had no problems getting tenants above a 700 credit score which is what I want. PM me if you want any other advice, it's easy.

That's great info you gave me. Thanks a lot.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:25 PM

411 posts, read 853,008 times
I have wanted to flip houses for a very long time. Part of the reason that I studied historic preservation was so that I could have the knowledge to correctly restore historic homes and market them to the folks who want that lifestyle. I get pretty upset when I see flippers go in and rip out the original elements of a historic home and stamp it with builder grade products. Ugh. I think it's possible to maintain a house's integrity while updating it for modern living.

I've of course gained a great deal of knowledge over the years from watching the various house flipping shows. Don't get greedy seems to be an important takeaway. Unfortunately I have no money to invest, which makes me sad. My neighborhood right now would be a excellent place for me to try out my skills. I'm very familiar with the stock and the comps for houses that have sold recently to know what I need to get a house for and how much it would take to rehab it while keeping an eye on the bottom line. Maybe one of these days.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:53 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Another thing to look at is how much one can make doing it.

I have a friend that worked for a builder/contractor. Wanted to go self-employed. With taxes, insurance, etc on himself, he was making out better working for the builder/contractor than when he worked for himself.

So I think it depends on how much money can be made in Greenville and what your expectations are.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:25 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Any luck beckycat

Old 05-26-2014, 04:34 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Any luck beckycat
Not yet. It's tough now that the market is picking up. If it's meant to be, it's meant to be Thanks for checking.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:14 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
We talked about renting as well but you never know what kind of tenants you'll get.
That's a risk obviously, but its not as bad as you think.

I've been a landlord for six years now and have not had any problems at all.. Other than things like having to buy a new stove, or get the AC fixed, but those are normal and to be expected. But in six years I have had exactly two sets of renters. That's six years of steady mortgage payments.

I'd heard the landlord horror stories too, but if you screen prospective renters it isn't hard to find quality people to rent from you. And honestly, the tax breaks alone are worth the risk IMO.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:20 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackofdawn View Post
I pay a property manager 8% to do it.
8% of what? The rent? Or am I missing something...?

I found my renters on craigslist, but if they move out I'll probably try a property manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area