Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 04:08 PM

295 posts, read 349,038 times

Advertisements

Good job fellow South Carolinians! Looks like we stopped the threat of a gas tax hike for this year. And since 2016 is an election year, there's very little chance the legislature will bring it back up next year as well. And from what I hear, the campaign against the tax hike was led by the good people of the upstate. Congrats to all

https://www.facebook.com/1063WORD

Last edited by Dan In SC; 06-17-2015 at 04:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 04:33 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,875,622 times
don't care about building new ones or making them better but can we at least keep em free from debris? Spent 7 years as a driver in Ohio and maybe had to get new tires twice. I've had to patch, replace, etc.... tires every year since I've been down here. And that's been 10 years!!!! Just had to patch a tire this morning because I hit yet ANOTHER F&*()ING nail in our wonderful roads. Holy S&*T rednecks stop throwing garbage on to the streets and roads.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:47 PM

295 posts, read 349,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
don't care about building new ones or making them better but can we at least keep em free from debris? Spent 7 years as a driver in Ohio and maybe had to get new tires twice. I've had to patch, replace, etc.... tires every year since I've been down here. And that's been 10 years!!!! Just had to patch a tire this morning because I hit yet ANOTHER F&*()ING nail in our wonderful roads. Holy S&*T rednecks stop throwing garbage on to the streets and roads.
I've lived here for 16 years and have only had 1 or 2 problems with running over nails. No worse than where I lived at before I moved here. But yeah, there should be (and there are) hefty fines for anyone that litters on the highway. That crap is not cool.

BTW, I don't understand why anyone in Columbia would claim we need a gas tax hike for our roads. They had a $400M budget surplus that could have easily gone towards fixing our roads if they really cared about fixing them.

South Carolina Budget Surplus - Local news, weather, sports Savannah | WSAV On Your Side

Old 06-17-2015, 05:09 PM

843 posts, read 1,439,640 times
Oh yeah. We get to keep having our roads repaved every 80 years! Everyone celebrate!!!!

Old 06-17-2015, 05:13 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,466,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
Oh yeah. We get to keep having our roads repaved every 80 years! Everyone celebrate!!!!
Oh don't be so dramatic, they'll be repaved at least every 73 years; big difference dude.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:05 PM

11,717 posts, read 24,921,887 times
Woohoo. Dirt roads and horse carriages for everyone. Let's all turn Amish. Oh and here's to hoping the OP hits a pothole and gets car damage.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:47 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,506,596 times
Yay. And our roads get to stay crap for x years. Awesome.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:45 PM

21,035 posts, read 27,468,969 times
I will take the road down the middle of the issue.

First, if the state has budget surplus that could be used for transportation improvement projects, then it should be used for those purposes. If people want to pay more for gas, drive to the highest priced gas station or fill up in Georgia or North Carolina. If higher gas prices in recent years are taken into consideration, I would be campaigning for lower gas prices.

Second, transportation improvement projects should be balanced between maintenance and construction. Maintaining the roads should not require much funds. Road construction projects should be done by priority and done right the first time. Reconstructing the interchanges of Interstates 20, 26 and 126 are important. Adding a turn lane on Roper Mountain Road and North Batesville Road instead of widening the roads to four lanes and adding roundabouts on North Highway 101 and North McElhaney Road in Greer and on Woodruff Road at Lee Vaughn Road in Simpsonville are examples of bad planning and engineering. They would necessitate future projects to correct them and widen the corridors to accommodate more traffic; therefore, costing more funds.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:31 AM

684 posts, read 1,194,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I will take the road down the middle of the issue.
Actually that is what I literally do on SC roads. Lots of potholes on the edges, so I usually just drive down the middle. Plus you hit less kids.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:48 AM

53 posts, read 68,239 times
Given that the roads bill just raises the fuel tax without actually allocating any of it to repair the roads, don't expect anything to change. They will find a way to misappropriate whatever revenue they bring in. Ask Senator Leatherman how!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area