Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 11:05 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Since the gas tax increase went into affect 3 1/2 years ago, SCDOT has collected $1.85 Billion (with $23M interest!). This is more than the total projected costs of all the repairs identified by SCDOT.

It's a gradual increase to 12 cents a gallon over six years.

SC has the third highest miles of roads in the country, nearly 42,000 miles. 80% of those need resurfacing or rebuilding. 465 out of 750 bridges are "structurally deficient" and need replaced.

$260M is being set aside for interstate widening. And $163M for safety improvements.

So far of the funds distributed, Spartanburg County has received $20.4M; Greenville $21.6M and Anderson $14M.

Our friends in the Pee-Dee area of Horry got the biggest chunk of $37M.

In a nutshell, the current gas tax proceeds have filled the coffers in Columbia with MORE than enough money to repair every project that was considered in 2017. Most projects have not been started. Taxes will increase over the next 2.5 years then hold steady.

Besides the Gateway project, do you think the gas tax was worth it and is the Upstate getting it's fare share of road improvements?
Can you post a link of where you got these numbers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 06:56 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Since the gas tax increase went into affect 3 1/2 years ago, SCDOT has collected $1.85 Billion (with $23M interest!). This is more than the total projected costs of all the repairs identified by SCDOT.

It's a gradual increase to 12 cents a gallon over six years.

SC has the third highest miles of roads in the country, nearly 42,000 miles. 80% of those need resurfacing or rebuilding. 465 out of 750 bridges are "structurally deficient" and need replaced.

$260M is being set aside for interstate widening. And $163M for safety improvements.

So far of the funds distributed, Spartanburg County has received $20.4M; Greenville $21.6M and Anderson $14M.

Our friends in the Pee-Dee area of Horry got the biggest chunk of $37M.

In a nutshell, the current gas tax proceeds have filled the coffers in Columbia with MORE than enough money to repair every project that was considered in 2017. Most projects have not been started. Taxes will increase over the next 2.5 years then hold steady.

Besides the Gateway project, do you think the gas tax was worth it and is the Upstate getting it's fare share of road improvements?
It was predicted the coastal regions would get a good portion of this money to start with, so its not totally unexpected. If anything, the roads are getting worse, at least in Laurens county. What little I travel in Greenville or Spartanburg counties I havent noticed any improvements at all, but I have to admit my travels in both counties has been limited the last year. I did go to my sisters over the weekend in Anderson, but didnt notice anything new or improved on the ride there. Maybe a pothole or 2 filled in.

Old 02-17-2021, 09:50 AM

825 posts, read 1,124,932 times
No idea if these were all funded by the gas tax, but here are improvements that I've seen recently:
1. Widening and additional turn lanes on SC 14 between SC296 and Bethel Rd. This has greatly improved traffic flow during peak times.

2. Repaving of parts of Standing Springs Rd. Not a road I drive often but if memory serves parts of it were in rough shape, though they should have done it all the way to Old Stage Rd. This may have also been a widening. Also looks like some work has been done recently on West Georgia near 385. But its not an area I drive a lot, so can't say for sure.

3. Still Ongoing. Widening of Batesville Rd between Roper Mtn Rd and SC14, this also includes a bridge replacement/relocation. Safety wise this should help a lot.

4. Still Ongoing. Widening of Woodruff Rd in Five Forks. This should help traffic flow a lot during peak times.

I know I have seen some other repaving projects going on. I've also seen some covered up road work signs up in a few different places recently which generally means something will be happening soon. It does take time to plan and bid out work, so I would except some delay between money being taken in and money being spent.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:43 AM

825 posts, read 1,124,932 times
Forgot to add if you checkout the SCDOT facebook page they generally highlight recently completed projects that have been funded by the gas tax. I feel like I have seen a good number of bridge replacement projects on there but I can't say I have been keeping count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area