Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 09:32 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,453,059 times

Advertisements

Greenville is great for the middle class, theres no debate. The COL is great and there is alot for families to do and spend on.

But as I said, youre going to have to take some trade offs for downtown. But if youre willing to look just outside of it, plenty of great options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 01:50 PM

28 posts, read 56,361 times
We too are looking at Greeneville to retire next year.. Will be driving up in a few months to look at land.. Where is it best to buy acre's and still be close to downtown shopping and hospitals.. Is it hilly and difficult to drive the further out you go.. ? It looks beautiful and I want the mountain views and hubby want to be near the lakes for fishing..Thankyou.. We are in Illinois and I think anywhere is cheaper than here..

Old 04-13-2016, 01:56 PM

142 posts, read 176,685 times
PatJeff, where in IL are you? We're in Hinsdale and are going out to the Greenville area next week to look at land and houses.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:35 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
If you are looking for mountain views and land, your best bet is going to be Travelers Rest. It's a short drive to downtown Greenville. It is not difficult to drive. The TN mountains and parts of NC are way more steep and one may consider it hard to drive.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:19 PM

298 posts, read 271,810 times
Interesting thread. I lived in Greenville in the mid-80's and went to elementary, middle, and high school(1 yr) in G-ville(Greer). We moved to Savannah, Ga and my dad regretted it. He ended up getting a job in Atlanta. I now live in Atlanta and work for a big fortune 20 company. Mainly my career keeps me in Atlanta. We went up to Greenville last year and were really impressed with the downtown and the whole vibe of the city. If we were not so rooted here I would consider moving back. I think G-ville is a great size and a big plus is the proximity to Atlanta, Charlotte, Asheville, Gatlinburg, and the mountains. It's awesome to have so many options for a weekend trip. Here in Atlanta I feel like the cool road trip spots are another 2 hrs from where they are in G-ville. I remember one negative was sort of the redneck Greenville syndrome. What I mean are a lot of natives considered it redneck and podunk. There was always a lot of animosity that the natives had towards the upper middle-class transplants as well. Anyhow, it's a cool city in my opinion.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:04 PM

152 posts, read 247,445 times
While on college tour last fall; stopped by Asheville. Beautiful and happening. Has changed. Saw many homeless; and our 19 year grinned, do you smell that? Yes, openly smoking pot.
Also agree with reply from person from Tampa Bay! Ft. Laud & Palm Bch has sky rocketed. Housing, property tax and insurance are some of the highest rates! I'm in the industry. Time to head to beautiful, affordable Greenville! Thrilled our two were accepted to Clemson.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:06 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post

While wages are lower here, the COL is still low enough where you can still have a good bit of purchasing power.

Housing is fine, and affordability is still plentiful. You just have to accept your trade offs. You want walkibility? You're gonna have to pay more and take less space, but if you're willing to drive 5-10 minutes and park for downtown amenities, there's plenty of great cheaper and larger options.

While my wife & I won't be moving there until some time next year we have been looking for house & some land not sure what we are going to end up with. Houses/land in places like Easley are still very affordable. But getting away from town houses & land is always a bit cheaper.

As far as jobs go I used to live in Columbia, Sc for 10 years. Depending on the job in question for me (warehouse) Those type jobs pay much more then in Columbia.

I agree with the rest of your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area