Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 04:17 AM

19 posts, read 23,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
I have never seen a Lidl. I just assumed it was a chain found in Germany. Are they already in the US or are they just now bringing them over from EU?

Love Aldi and do most of my shopping there.
It is so funny to see the German stores in the USA, I was stunned when I was in Greenwood and saw an Aldi the first time :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 07:16 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,179,876 times
Lidl's are coming a long, should be opening soon. Anyone have a update on when they are suppose to open, any of the locations?

I will be curious to find out what Lidl's hours will be. Personally, I wish Aldi would close an hour later and stay open until 9pm. Hoping Lidl is a little later, and hoping one will eventually open in Greer.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:27 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Lidl's are coming a long, should be opening soon. Anyone have a update on when they are suppose to open, any of the locations?

I will be curious to find out what Lidl's hours will be. Personally, I wish Aldi would close an hour later and stay open until 9pm. Hoping Lidl is a little later, and hoping one will eventually open in Greer.
Lidl is opening 100 stores this year. Stores in SC, NC, & VA will open this summer. Stores in MD, DE, & the Philadelphia market will open later this year.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:27 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,179,876 times
I was in the newer Aldi in Spartanburg today, on Blackstock Rd. It's a really nice big store and seemed to have more than the Aldi's I usually shop in in Greer.

I was really surprised to see a huge difference in pricing on some items I noticed that I just saw the day before in the Greer store. I bought bananas @ .44c a pound - in Spartanburg they were .18c a pound. Lemons in Greer $2.99 a bag, Spart $2.55. Eggs were $1.59 in Greer, .79 in Spart. They get the same bananas as the other stores. If they can sell them for .18 - they surely can sell them in Greer for less than .44!

I know some stores fluctuate on pricing dependent on the place and clientele but it's not usually by this much. Was really surprised. Those who live in that area are lucky to have Aldi's and Lidl so close together. I'm hoping when Lidl builds (that store that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon) in Greer it will force not only Aldis to lower but Walmart too.

Walmart has lost a lot of my pitiful business (I don't buy all that much) when they stopped price matching at the register.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:40 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I was in the newer Aldi in Spartanburg today, on Blackstock Rd. It's a really nice big store and seemed to have more than the Aldi's I usually shop in in Greer.

I was really surprised to see a huge difference in pricing on some items I noticed that I just saw the day before in the Greer store. I bought bananas @ .44c a pound - in Spartanburg they were .18c a pound. Lemons in Greer $2.99 a bag, Spart $2.55. Eggs were $1.59 in Greer, .79 in Spart. They get the same bananas as the other stores. If they can sell them for .18 - they surely can sell them in Greer for less than .44!

I know some stores fluctuate on pricing dependent on the place and clientele but it's not usually by this much. Was really surprised. Those who live in that area are lucky to have Aldi's and Lidl so close together. I'm hoping when Lidl builds (that store that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon) in Greer it will force not only Aldis to lower but Walmart too.

Walmart has lost a lot of my pitiful business (I don't buy all that much) when they stopped price matching at the register.
I haven't been in an Aldi that wasn't in direct competition with Lidl since our Lidls opened in September. Price drops were immediate & significant. Last week I was in both & had $5 off coupons for both.

This month I went to Shelby to pay property tax so went to Aldi & Lidl there. There are slight differences in the stock, but that is best explained by significant differences in demographics between Gastonia & Shelby. It would be the same there, too, if there are demographic differences.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:42 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,013,184 times
The one thing I don't care for about Lidl is they don't offer a healthier line of products like Aldi's Fit & Active label. It's really a big void that Lidl needs to fill. I will stick with Aldi as I like that brand.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:02 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,868,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
The one thing I don't care for about Lidl is they don't offer a healthier line of products like Aldi's Fit & Active label. It's really a big void that Lidl needs to fill. I will stick with Aldi as I like that brand.
Lidl does however carry a lot of organic items, as well as tofu, which Aldi does not. And one item they carry that my son loves is their frozen Indian dinner- I think it's chicken tikka masala.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:40 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,013,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Lidl does however carry a lot of organic items, as well as tofu, which Aldi does not. And one item they carry that my son loves is their frozen Indian dinner- I think it's chicken tikka masala.
That's funny. I was looking at those frozen dinners just this afternoon in Lidl. The problem with many frozen ready to eat products is they are so high in sodium which I have to watch.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:39 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,868,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
That's funny. I was looking at those frozen dinners just this afternoon in Lidl. The problem with many frozen ready to eat products is they are so high in sodium which I have to watch.
Yes- you're right- he would eat two of those dinners but I don't let him becuase of the sodium content

Old 12-31-2017, 07:21 PM

140 posts, read 271,800 times
[quote=Eldemila;50541300]I was in the newer Aldi in Spartanburg today, on Blackstock Rd. It's a really nice big store and seemed to have more than the Aldi's I usually shop in in Greer.

If the Spartanburg store is fairly new they are probably still offering really low prices to get people hooked and then they will raise the prices later. I have no proof other than I have seen other stores that seemed to do that when they were new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area