Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 11:00 AM

94 posts, read 111,253 times

Advertisements

I would honestly say that the answer to this questions is "ALL." I work as a shopper for Shipt, and I am all over Greenville, meeting people at their homes, and no matter where I go, there seems to be a good mix of transplants and natives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 01:15 PM

446 posts, read 415,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
This is the truth.

We helped a work colleague find a home here, and they fired the first agent because she kept sending listings and showing them homes in Simpsonville and Five Forks, despite being told they didn't like it out there.

It was crazy, she was crazy.

The second agent had a similar addiction to Pebble Creek. But an intervention was effective with her, at least.
I live in the Five Forks area (well, in Stonewyck, on the side near where Hwy. 14 meets Five Forks) and quite like living in the area. I have learned to take alternate routes to the Interstates depending on the time of day if I know Woodruff Road will be a mess. But it's convenient to be close enough to the retail on Woodruff without having to constantly worry about traffic. And on weekends still only a 15 minute ride from downtown.

I suppose it mostly depends on where you work. If you work downtown, then no, it isn't a great option. It's fine if you work east or southeast of the city though. (Michelin, BMW, Brookfield, etc.)

And, yes, there are a LOT of transplants in my subdivision. Not just Northerners but also French and German families (mostly working at the aforementioned companies).

Old 06-03-2016, 05:16 PM

843 posts, read 1,432,930 times
Can I just say that Taylors isn't just out in the boonies, but it is also the awkward area between Botany Woods and Eastside?

Old 06-04-2016, 11:28 AM

23 posts, read 28,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
Can I just say that Taylors isn't just out in the boonies, but it is also the awkward area between Botany Woods and Eastside?
Parts of Taylors are out in the boonies. If you look at where a lot of new construction is being built a lot of it is happening to the northern side of Taylors. Yeah, it kind of transitions into Blue Ridge but there are some Taylors addresses as well as Greer addresses. It's cut up strange.

The point I was making before is that in terms of hot areas where development is taking place you have a few:

Taylors/Blue Ridge - Cheaper houses, longer drives, no stores, big yards, no sidewalks, okay schools
Simpsonville - Expensive, close to shopping, close to town, sidewalks sometimes, still suburban but there are things there besides houses, best schools, yards are usually smaller
Downtown Greenville - You're rich and it's awesome in every way. Good houses start at $500K.

Of course there are newcomers swapping older homes with the local population. Everyone doesn't buy a new house. Many people do though. If you look at were the growth is happing I think a majority of newcomers fit within those 3 major areas I just mentioned which each have their own set of advantages.

I personally hate how the highway 290 area is turning into LA traffic in the middle of a corn field type of situation but to each his own. If you want an acre of land for your 10 little doggies to run free on the cheap then that's your place.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:56 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,079,436 times
I am in Taylors near Pebble Creek. By no means am I in the boonies. Shopping isn't far either. I am only about 15 minutes from downtown. The neighborhood that I live in was built in the late 80's. There are a few transplants but most are from here. Now, if you are talking about the Blue Ridge/Tigerville area, that is out there to me. It's very nice out there and you have Lake Robinson. They do need more retail out there. I wouldn't be surprised, the way that it is growing, for that to happen in the future.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:18 PM

423 posts, read 899,472 times
In the 90's I had a friend who had a Taylors address, a Travelers Rest phone number, and her daughter went to Blue Ridge High School. She lived on Davis Rd near Sandy Flat Rd. She was literally 2 miles from Greer but it was long distance to call Greer from her house. This was prior to the prevalence of cell phones.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:16 AM

843 posts, read 1,432,930 times
The problem with saying Taylors is out in the boonies is that the 29687 zip code goes from Eastside High School all the way up to Tigerville. One could argue that anything north of 290 is not in Taylors considering Taylors Main St is on the other side of Wade Hampton.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:55 PM

58 posts, read 165,492 times
Beckycat: There is no one particular town or subdivision in the Upstate that relocatees move to. No matter where you go you will always find people who have moved here not only from across the nation, but from Europe, Asia, Middle East all over. People relocate to the areas they can afford, the areas which provide them with the amenities they are seeking, the areas in close driving distance to their work, the areas within a school district they deem appropriate for their children.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:13 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,079,436 times
Thanks for all the responses. If anyone can mention specific names of more neighborhoods and not just towns (ie Simpsonville) that would be helpful

Old 08-30-2017, 10:29 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,434,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
What a some names of specific neighborhoods that have lots of transplants? Do most transplants end up in newer neighborhoods? Please share your observance of transplants in your neighborhood. I was told, by a realtor, that we have 43 people a day moving to Greenville. Where is everyone coming from? I am just curious as to where they are all moving?

I thought this would be a fun thread
On the eastside they would be Silverleaf, Sugar Creek, Pelham Falls, River Oaks. Used to live in Silverleaf and there were lots of transplants although there were locals as well. I am not familiar with the subdivisions in Simpsonville but probably a lot of them would have transplants. Seems people moving in want a brandy new house so they are choosing Simpsonville, although when we sold our house in Silverleaf the market was very hot as new developments hadn't picked up yet and I do think some people do like the fact that it is grown up tree wise. When we first moved there it was fairly new and there were hardly any trees though where our house was had lots of trees, which is why we chose it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area