Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 06:42 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times

Advertisements

My wife & I have talked about building a tiny home once we get back to the Greenville area. We've tossed many ideas back & forth of late. The one that we keep coming back to the most is living in a Airstream trailer. Gutting it out & remodeling it.

Our worry is that one isn't allowed to live in them even on your own land.

We found the link below but it covers MOBILE homes not trailers. Can anyone please help us shed some light on this?

Code of Laws - Title 31 - Chapter 17 - Mobile Homes And House Trailers

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 12:07 PM

79 posts, read 79,462 times
I would be real surprised if they let people live in a rv full time on there own land. Just the health related issues with the trailer holding tank and being fearful of people discharging that tank on the ground is the first thing that comes to mind. I say no! Maybe you could get away with it for a short time while you were building a new home. Long term, someone would report you.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gittyup View Post
I would be real surprised if they let people live in a rv full time on there own land. Just the health related issues with the trailer holding tank and being fearful of people discharging that tank on the ground is the first thing that comes to mind. I say no! Maybe you could get away with it for a short time while you were building a new home. Long term, someone would report you.

It will be hooked up to a septic tank I would like to think that being hooked up to one, that they wouldn't have a problem with it.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:30 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
I've seen lots of people living in RV's on private land while driving around in the back country in this area (an some in very plain view of major highways). I also know a couple of people that have had septic and a pedestal installed, and lived in an RV while building a house.

In fact the people we bought our fifth wheel from lived in it for several years on their own land while building a house.

We are preparing to travel full time in our RV while working, but have thought about doing the same thing when we return to the area (buying land while we build a house) .

Old 07-01-2016, 01:45 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
The title of this thread caught my eye because I have some similar dreams.

I think it also depends on how hungry the local officials are to get your money.

In some places, almost anything goes because no one has any money, and if the officials make too much of an issue of it, they will be recalled or have their own property vandalized. In other places, the officials are in charge, and you can't do anything without their approval, which can require hundreds of dollars in permits.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:29 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,660,771 times
Just get you an outhouse for your tiny house. Problem solved.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:20 AM

604 posts, read 583,310 times
I camped on our property for four years while I built our house in north Greenville County. I started out in a little pop-up camper, then graduated to the barn once it was built. I never asked if it was legal; I just did it, but I'm on acreage in a rural area. When we were looking for land to buy, I vaguely recall the realtor saying something about it being legal to camp on your property for two years, but I don't know if that's in general, or just the subdivision we were looking at. Some areas of course won't let you camp at all. I could just see the reaction if I set up my battered, 40 y/o pop-up in The Cliffs!

The only way to get the true answer is to talk to the county office in the county you're looking at. In case you want to cheat the rules a bit, don't give them your real name or exact location. The zoning department should be able to give you a definitive answer, even if you don't like what that answer is.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
I could just see the reaction if I set up my battered, 40 y/o pop-up in The Cliffs!

The only way to get the true answer is to talk to the county office in the county you're looking at. In case you want to cheat the rules a bit, don't give them your real name or exact location. The zoning department should be able to give you a definitive answer, even if you don't like what that answer is.

Yeah, I can see those in their million dollar plus homes having a cow over seeing a pop-up across the street.

Things like this get my goat. As long as you're not violating any health issues or what your living is up to code I really don't see why it's anyone's business what you live in.

I know it comes down to money sadly & you might hurt their feelings by not paying outrageous taxes that the state/city, etc. Helps lines their pocket's with money, this goes for any state not just here.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:02 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,869,118 times
It's really hard to find land on which to legally live in an RV. We've been looking into that and haven't had any luck. I know some people get away with it for years, but I'm a nervous nelly and want everything to be permitted.

You either run afoul of the "minimum size of a dwelling" regulations or they just plain don't allow RV's and mobile homes. It's apparently perfectly OK, though, to have a house that looks like it's gone through several tornados but not to have a perfectly nice RV (that's worth 2-4 times what the house is worth) on the property.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
It's really hard to find land on which to legally live in an RV. We've been looking into that and haven't had any luck. I know some people get away with it for years, but I'm a nervous nelly and want everything to be permitted.

You either run afoul of the "minimum size of a dwelling" regulations or they just plain don't allow RV's and mobile homes. It's apparently perfectly OK, though, to have a house that looks like it's gone through several tornados but not to have a perfectly nice RV (that's worth 2-4 times what the house is worth) on the property.
Yeah it's crazy knowing that they kick off your OWN land these days. The rich do tend to make the rules though. I've seen some REALLY crappy mobile homes some tend to let them go to crap & it's legal.

We looked at several park models & were told that anything 400SF & up was considered a modular & where as a mobile home would be looked down on a modular isn't. I'm afraid that this won't fly but we're not going to lose hope either, & until we talk to a real estate agent or someone at a zoning office this is still our goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area