Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 06:47 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,666,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by russwd View Post
Can't you build a house of any size for about $100/square foot? (not including the land)
Or am I missing something?
Most places in the US have minimum square footage laws (designed to protect renters), and these things are generally trying to skirt this law by building it on a trailer so that it's considered an RV or meets some other portability or temporary housing rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 07:26 AM

47 posts, read 34,524 times
I have built a tiny home in Spartanburg County in 2017. The home is 440sq ft and built on slab foundation, it has been inspected and passed by the building/codes dept of Spartanburg County.

Spartanburg County or SC state does not have any min sq requirements. There can be min sq requirements placed by land deeds and you can find them when you did a deed/title search.

I did most of the labor myself (framing, wiring, plumbing, roofing and siding) or with the help of family. I only contracted out the foundation and drywall. The cost of the labor I did pay for and material came in at about $45k. The home was just apprised at $75k.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:01 AM

321 posts, read 407,095 times
Thanks for that info Zunder.

There seems to be quite a bit of interest in the tiny home thing, but it's taking a while to gain traction around here. All the Tiny Home shows are full of people who want to wander the country... digital nomads I guess.

I would be more interested in a permanent structure, like Zunder's, but maybe not that small.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:03 AM

321 posts, read 407,095 times
Does it need to be mobile to be considered a Tiny Home? I guess I just want a small house. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area