Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 11:07 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityb1 View Post
Are the roads in Greenville really that bad? I mean bad enough to cause damages to cars, accidents etc?
Nah. I get the layout and traffic patterns being weird, but youre not gonna destroy your alignment just riding around town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 11:29 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
Are the roads in Greenville really that bad? I mean bad enough to cause damages to cars, accidents etc?
Highways are not bad, although there are spots but these are taken care of pretty quick. THese spots usually develop after a snow fall, or ice storm or such where the cold causes the water to freeze, and that's not often on the highways. Some secondary roads and backroads have potholes, but again, these are fixed reasonably however there are some spots that need attention that just get patched each time and never repaired correctly. I know of a few spots where the asphalt bubbled up in the heat a few years ago, and its still like that, and haven't been addressed and I know they have been reported.

I do not know anyone who has had damage from a pothole, but I'm sure there are some out there, but years ago our car was damaged because the DOT workers forgot to cover a fairly deep hole that was dig while a road was being widened, also saw a lady hit a manhole cover that wasn't put back on right and it bent her rim, but these were not because of potholes.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:56 AM

120 posts, read 129,404 times
Thank you for these responses about the roads. I asked as I ride a motorcycle. Potholes and damaged roads can cause more damage to the bike and physical injury to the rider than commuting by a car. I have been considering Greenville for better climate, compared to where I live now and proximity to mountains etc. But if the roads are dangerous, that changes the situation.

Some time back I read an article that said NC roads are much better than SC roads. I do not know how true it is as I have only been in NC one day and never been to SC. That article also came to my mind when I was reading this thread today.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:37 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
Thank you for these responses about the roads. I asked as I ride a motorcycle. Potholes and damaged roads can cause more damage to the bike and physical injury to the rider than commuting by a car. I have been considering Greenville for better climate, compared to where I live now and proximity to mountains etc. But if the roads are dangerous, that changes the situation.

Some time back I read an article that said NC roads are much better than SC roads. I do not know how true it is as I have only been in NC one day and never been to SC. That article also came to my mind when I was reading this thread today.
I use to ride, but I parked my bike. Not because of the roads, but for all the careless drivers out there, and this was 20 years ago. In the last 2 years, Ive lost 2 friends who rode bikes due to the carelessness and thoughtless drivers that are out there.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:46 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Quote:

My sentiments are the same as Upstate John. It's not necessarily the road conditions thats the problem, its the drivers. And you dont have to wear a helmet if youre over 21.

NC does have better roads, but they have a driver problem as well, looking at the stats.

Plus the Upstate is pretty curvy. I dont know if this matters to you or not. If climate and mountains is what you want though, I'd still keep the area in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area