Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 7,523 times

Advertisements

Hi-

I apologize in advance if I mess anything up, I have NEVER posted anything in a forum or chat room before. It took me at least 10 minutes to figure out how to start a new thread - no kidding! I found this site last night while trying to get an idea about the general crime rates there compared to where I live in Maryland.

My husband and I have been seriously considering a move to South Carolina and I have been trying to gather as much info as possible. We even visited the area the first weekend in Feb., but there wasn't much time to get a real feel for the area.
My husband works for CSX railroad and it looks as though he could transfer to a job in Clinton or Laurens and I currently teach preschool and have my elem. ed. teaching certificate and would like to find a job teaching.

SO my first question is - What are these areas like? Is it a good, safe place to work/live? What are the schools like? We live in MD, about an hour NW of Washington DC. The schools in our area are great, but the city is "moving this way" and the housing prices are insanely high. Also - I am a country girl - the farther I can get from any city the better! - and we are looking for a nice, quiet, safe little town to raise our two children, ages 6 and 7 (keeping in mind that my husbands commute would likely be to Clinton or Laurens). I guess you could say we are looking for a place with a slower "pace" and where good old fashioned morals and family values still exist. Our interests are anything outdoors, especially boating, horseback riding and ATV's. I prefer mountains and think Pickens looks beautiful, but it appears to be more expensive. Also - Would that be a reasonable commute or no?

Any suggestions on areas? I would greatly appreciate any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 04:18 PM

511 posts, read 1,523,185 times
You will probably want to look in Southern Greenville if the commute is a concern. Simpsonville, Mauldin or Fountain Inn. Laurens has a nice Lake community called Lake Rabon. It is 20 min. to Simpsonville for the convnience of shopping & restaurants. I haven't been to the town of Laurens in a few years but I did grow up there. Let me know if you need some more specific information and I will try to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area