Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 01:27 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,764,871 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving to Greenville in about a Year,and a visit in the spring.
I have found out alot about Greenville but im curious about a few things.
Whats some good BBQ in Greenville?
What are some Grocery store chains beside Publix?
What are some good mom & pop places to eat?
Does Greenville,Taylors,Greer,etc all run together?
Are there somewhat inexpensive apartments downtown?
How bad is traffic generally?I know Woodruff is bad.
Last but not least why only one Krystal?and its in Gaffney?
Ive been in Kansas a while but im from Texas...
Looking foward to something different and Greenville seems not too big..
But not too small for me.Sorry if my questions seem silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 02:01 PM

470 posts, read 595,207 times
I can't answer all your questions (I'm fairly new to the area myself) but I'll answer some...

Grocery stores - Whole foods, Fresh Market, Bloom, Bi-lo, Ingles, Earth Fare

Generally traffic is not all that bad

Greenville, Taylors, and Greer do run together

A new Krystal is opening in Greenville

Greenville is not too big, but has almost everything, possibly everything you could find in a big city.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:01 PM

915 posts, read 2,423,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
We've (by that, I mean my wife and I) always been a fan of Mutt's or Bucky's (sandwiches) if we want something good, quick, and relatively inexpensive. I also like Sticky Fingers (ribs), and Smoke on the Water (downtown, outdoor seating).

Hard to say, since I'm a big fan of Publix (customer service, convenience to home, etc). I truly can't stand BI-LO or Bloom, and I've never been into an Ingles.

One of my all-time favorite restaurants in Greenville is The Peddler (steak), but I don't know that I'd necessarily call that mom and pop. It's not a chain though, so I think I might be on the right track. Also, Never on Sunday (Greek), Paisano's (Italian/Greek), Mary's Restaurant at Falls Park (Lunch), Stax Omega (breakfast), Tommy's Country Ham House (breakfast).........I know there's more, and will post as I think of them.

For the most part, since you don't really know when you've left one and entered another. The one thing about Greer and Taylors is the fact that you can be 5.5 miles from downtown Greenville or 18 miles from downtown Greenville, but still technically have the same "city" in your mailing address.

Sure, but obviously there are trade offs between price and different parts of town. The further you get from downtown, on average, you will pay less for monthly rent. Just depends what you consider inexpensive. The reality about it is the fact that what you might pay in rent for a 900 square foot apartment downtown, may buy you a 1,700 square foot house less than 20 minutes from downtown.

Traffic is a joke, and is not really that bad. People from smaller towns than Greenville will complain about it. I have lived off of Woodruff Road for more than 6 years now, and it's not bad either. Obviously Woodruff gets interesting around Shops at Greenridge during Christmas, but otherwise, I can make it 6 miles down Woodruff Rd, 6 miles up I-385, and into downtown Greenville in 18 minutes or less. (I do it almost every Thursday at 6pm)

There used to be a Krystal on N. Pleasantburg near Cherrydale, but it's gone.

Sorry if my questions seem silly.
You'd be amazed by the questions I've heard in my career. Honestly, I once had a client who absolutely had to find a house within 2 miles of a Taco Bell?!?!?!?

Last edited by ckeegan; 10-07-2008 at 02:14 PM..

Old 10-07-2008, 03:51 PM

617 posts, read 2,571,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Ive been in Kansas a while but im from Texas...
Looking foward to something different and Greenville seems not too big..
But not too small for me.Sorry if my questions seem silly.
Good BBQ in Greenville?
Henry's on Wade Hampton! (I think there are a couple other locations, but I don't know where.)

The grocery stores have been covered, unless you want to count wal-mart.

Good mom and pop places?
Stax, Ham House, Soda Shop (North Main), etc.

Traffic?
It isn't bad. I complain about Woodruff Road every now and then, but over all traffic isn't much of an issue.

Why only one Krystal?
Because it's nasty. This is only my opinion of course, but there was one here and it closed so I'd say lots of other people had the same opinion. Don't worry though, there are plenty of other fast food restaurants.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:37 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,437,729 times
Greenville is the perfect size, and it's up and coming you can find a wide range for everybody, and to me it should be ranked as one of the top area's to grow up. Traffic isnt to bad with a exception of the I-85 corridor from Pelham road to Woodruff road area which is preety much Greenville's traffic corridor. Downtown is award winning, and has a wide range of cost, but it's NEVER to high like a big city like Boston where it can be $5,000. Krystal is planning a lot of stores through out Greenville County.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:59 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Krystal is planning a lot of stores through out Greenville County.
The Krystal's that used to be here were franchised and the 3 (I think that's how many they announced) that are coming are company owned. I saw one on Laurens Rd around Washington St the other day that looks like it should be open before Christmas.

As you can see from above, I have a preference and it is not K!

Old 10-07-2008, 08:08 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
A new Krystal that has wifi is now open on Woodruff Road across from Costco.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:10 PM

835 posts, read 2,305,104 times
We have BBQ but it's not the beef you're used to in Texas.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:12 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
We have BBQ but it's not the beef you're used to in Texas.
Averagejoe76, questposter24 likes to post false statements to keep you from moving here. He likes rural life and he hates seeing Greenville grow and prosper. Just a fair warning.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:25 PM

835 posts, read 2,305,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Averagejoe76, questposter24 likes to post false statements to keep you from moving here. He likes rural life and he hates seeing Greenville grow and prosper. Just a fair warning.
Is this a serious post? Yes, I'm really going to go out of my way to discourage someone about our BBQ.

That's funny. I remember Texas being famous for beef brisket if I'm not mistaken. Ask the original poster and he'll tell you that. Here's a link: Barbecue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia look at the Texas section. BTW, I don't even live in a rural area.

According to that, I was oversimplifying their bbq but good grief. C'mon g-man. I was going to put a smiley face or something on that post but was just too lazy.

Here you go OP:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area