Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 11:30 AM

557 posts, read 865,171 times

Advertisements

I´m not retired, however it looks like the retirees may have started a meeting place right here on this site. Welcome home retirees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 05:34 AM

35 posts, read 25,272 times
Hi again. My wife and I retired here in Simpsonville about 15 months ago. We both were living in Houston, Texas and worked with major engineering companies. I was originally born in Galveston and my wife was born in Paducah, Kentucky. We are physically active with my wife being an outstanding artist. Living in a family oriented community, having no children and being retired makes it difficult to find people that have common interests. Any suggestions? ��

Old 03-31-2017, 07:26 AM

120 posts, read 129,617 times
You can try wwwDOTmeetupDOTcom Replace DOT with a .
It works well to find groups with common interests where I live, hopefully it works in your area too. I am considering moving to SC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAnthonyBo View Post
..... Living in a family oriented community, having no children and being retired makes it difficult to find people that have common interests. Any suggestions? ��

Old 03-31-2017, 09:48 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,773 times
Quote:
Hi again. My wife and I retired here in Simpsonville about 15 months ago. We both were living in Houston, Texas and worked with major engineering companies. I was originally born in Galveston and my wife was born in Paducah, Kentucky. We are physically active with my wife being an outstanding artist. Living in a family oriented community, having no children and being retired makes it difficult to find people that have common interests. Any suggestions? ��
Being physically active you can search for hiking Meetups, or cycling, or whatever it is you like to do. The Newcomers' Club also has some activities you might like. Have you tried taking classes at OLLI?

Old 06-06-2017, 06:15 AM

Good morning to all. We have been looking at "Meeting Up" site and still have not found the group that we may have interests in common. Both my wife and I are in our 60s and in very good health. We are both retired from engineering fields having worked for major companies for many years. We do not have any children. We are non-smokers and drink only socially. We are relatively new to Simpsonville/Greenville areas. We would like to meet couples in similar situation. Have a good day!

Old 06-06-2017, 07:37 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,760,501 times
This: OLLI | Furman University

Old 06-06-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Good morning to all. We have been looking at "Meeting Up" site and still have not found the group that we may have interests in common. Both my wife and I are in our 60s and in very good health. We are both retired from engineering fields having worked for major companies for many years. We do not have any children. We are non-smokers and drink only socially. We are relatively new to Simpsonville/Greenville areas. We would like to meet couples in similar situation. Have a good day!
Check out the Newcomers Club:https://greenvillenewcomers.wildapricot.org

Old 02-15-2021, 07:41 AM

If you moved to Greenville / Simpsonville from another state, do not have siblings, relatives or friends that live here and do not have children, it is extremely difficult to meet and have make new friends. People are friendly here but not necessarily open to new friendships that have moved here from out-of-state. We are retired and not overly religious. We have tried Meet-Up Groups but rarely have met older married couples. Have anyone felt the same way?

Old 02-17-2021, 06:29 AM

OP have you tried joining a church/synagogue? Most of the people at mine are older couples who have moved from elsewhere and are very open to meeting new people. Of course it is harder now with Covid, but hopefully that will change soon. I hike with a Wed. group (temporarily on hold) and those are all older people, some of whom are couples like us. We knew no one here when we moved. Many of my friends came from the Commerce Club. Another place to meet wonderful people is Rotary. I belong to the Rotary Club of the Reedy River Greenville, which meets in the evening, and is about 50% older people. We have resumed in person meetings, with precautions. Message me if you would like more information.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:20 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,450,197 times
Quote:
If you moved to Greenville / Simpsonville from another state, do not have siblings, relatives or friends that live here and do not have children, it is extremely difficult to meet and have make new friends. People are friendly here but not necessarily open to new friendships that have moved here from out-of-state. We are retired and not overly religious. We have tried Meet-Up Groups but rarely have met older married couples. Have anyone felt the same way?
We’re not in Simpsonville. We’re in Spartanburg. Our son is in Greer but not a part of our daily life.

You have to remember, SC is still Bible Belt and many social groups do revolve around churches, especially among the retired age group. Maybe because we do attend church regularly, we quickly developed a group of friends. Our church has very active Ladies Groups and Wednesday night dinner/Bible Study. Our neighborhood has been very active to reach out to new people. There’s a group of ladies who take newcomers out to lunch or dinner. Husband plays pickle ball at the YMCA. I was playing mah Jong with a group before the virus.
My husband is involved in Civil Air Patrol and volunteered for a city committee. I’ve volunteered politically. There are always organizations looking for volunteer help.

I think the more you reach out, the better luck you’ll have. The other suggestion would be start your own Meetup Group. Stress it’s for socializing with retired couples 45+. Then start planning things. We sort of did that with another couple (not on Meetup, just informally). We’ve gone to numerous vineyards, bowling, axe throwing, to a Murder Mystery Dinner at Plate 108, drinks at a local hotel, lots of dinners out.

You have to be creative and remember, you moved into their world. They didn’t invite you so you have to show them you are a wonderful addition. Be the neighbor that greets new residents with a bottle of wine and special cookies. Randomly perform a surcee — a Southern term for an unexpected, no reason gift. One neighbor gave us a bird feeder after ours was destroyed in the tornado. Another just brought us cupcakes because they were at a local bakery and “thought you’d enjoy them, too”.

Best of luck.

Last edited by LynchburgLover; 02-17-2021 at 07:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area