Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 02:06 PM

35 posts, read 25,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I think a lot of the same advice applies. We decided to just have a bunch of parties when we first moved in. We started with a “I want to meet the neighbors Wine & Dessert” party. Cheap, simple, everyone comes for wine and dessert. I asked each neighbor I had met to bring a neighbor I hadn’t met. Great fun and a wonderful start to connecting.

We then had a Chili/Mexican Train Party, a Mardi Gras, obviously Christmas, a backyard fire pit with smores. We just kept inviting different people (church, neighbors etc) and it worked very well . . . Until Covid, which obviously crashed everything. I never spent more than about $100 for each party.

Just remember, you’re entering their world and you need to show them you’re a good addition to it.

Best of luck.
Been there and done that. Many native South Carolinians that have children and close family are not into socializing with Newcomers from other states. Yes, newcomers definitely appreciate other newcomers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 02:35 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,773 times
OP that's why you should look into the Newcomers club.

Old 02-19-2021, 03:18 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
OP that's why you should look into the Newcomers club.
Yep. And they exist.

Old 02-19-2021, 03:30 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,450,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAnthonyBo View Post
Been there and done that. Many native South Carolinians that have children and close family are not into socializing with Newcomers from other states. Yes, newcomers definitely appreciate other newcomers.

Ok, so give up on South Carolinians. So how about starting a Meetup with people from whatever state you left or your college? Then you can talk about your old pizza, bagels, football team or whatever. If you’re having problems, surely others are, too.

Old 02-19-2021, 05:52 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,773 times
Wish I could rep you, LynchburgLover!

Old 02-19-2021, 06:16 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Ok, so give up on South Carolinians. So how about starting a Meetup with people from whatever state you left or your college? Then you can talk about your old pizza, bagels, football team or whatever. If you’re having problems, surely others are, too.
This is a really good idea.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:23 AM

738 posts, read 416,995 times
It seems like the best idea would be to move to a city where you have friends.

If you've been in Greenville for years and not made any friends, it is not likely that will change.

If you are not working and have no family ties here, it should be easy to move.

Most transplants don't have a problem making friends here. Greenville has to be one of the top transplant destinations in the country the last 60 years or so.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:01 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,945,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAnthonyBo View Post
If you moved to Greenville / Simpsonville from another state, do not have siblings, relatives or friends that live here and do not have children, it is extremely difficult to meet and have make new friends. People are friendly here but not necessarily open to new friendships that have moved here from out-of-state. We are retired and not overly religious. We have tried Meet-Up Groups but rarely have met older married couples. Have anyone felt the same way?
I've lived in six different states over the decades, moving back and forth between some of them: VA, IL, IA, CT, NC, and SC. What I've found is that openness to friendship depends more on demographics like education, age cohort, income, employment, religion (or lack thereof), marital status, and parental status than on whether one is a member of the local culture. It's been the same for me in the Midwest, New England, and the South. I don't think SC is more closed in this regard than the other states I've lived in (if you move to small town anywhere, you'll still be That New Family Who Moved Here From Elsewhere fifty years later).

Old 02-24-2021, 12:23 PM

You are exactly right. South Carolinians are very friendly and courteous. No matter where you move that location can be the same.

Old 02-24-2021, 12:26 PM

Many people that move to Greenville County have direct or indirect roots here. We have met only one couple that have no roots here, everyone else have siblings here, relatives here, went to school here or possibly were born here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area