Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 04:35 PM

35 posts, read 25,321 times

Advertisements

Both my wife and myself got fed up with Houston, Texas and have decided to retire in Simpsonville, SC very close to Greenville. We are college educated and have been in technical fields for many years. The people we have met here are very friendly and family oriented. Sad to say we have no children.
Being retired and in a new area has made it difficult for us to meet couples that are in similar situations. Anybody with any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 08:02 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,874,641 times
Welcome to Greenville! Your post surprises me as I find that most of my friends are retired, and I am used to being around working people. Because they are retired, they travel very often to see their kids/grandkids, making it hard to get together. Perhaps it is the area where you live. There are many meet up groups- what are your interests? Church/synagogue is a great place to meet people. Have you looked into OLLI? OLLI | Furman University I have not taken any classes there (still woking and no time!) but I know it is very popular.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:14 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,663,609 times
Yes, people around here your age are meeting others at church. You could also get part time Jobs or volunteer.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:00 AM

77 posts, read 110,633 times
We retired here 5 years ago without knowing anyone and now have a nice circle of friends. Most of the friendships we've made has been through meetup.com. As BigRedBeth suggested, the OLLI classes at Furman is a good way to meet others. Senior Action, which is closer to you, has classes and activities for those 55 and older. LifeWise senior program through Bon Secours has education seminars, exercise classes and travel groups. Also, check out some the activities offered at the Simpsonville Library. Welcome!

Old 12-27-2016, 06:07 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,874,641 times
There is also a very active Newcomers Group. The bulk of their activities are during the day and attract retirees. Many revolve around card games, which may or may not be your thing, but they also do dining out, have a popular book club (Actually 3 ), and plan scenic hikes and excursions as well as more challenging hikes. I belong to two hiking groups here myself, and am often the youngest one there . They can out-hike me though!

Old 12-27-2016, 06:09 AM

58 posts, read 165,523 times
My husband and I are seniors who relocated to Fountain Inn with no children though I am still working. There are plenty of couples without kids in our immediate area, and I agree it is no easy to find them unless you belong to a group of some sort. Greenville County Rec Dept hosts the Greater Greenville Senior Sports Classics for those 50yrs and older to participate in recreational and Olympic style sport events. The Rec Dept also hosts the Greenville County Senior Retreat where you can just hang out and mingle or participate in the different classes offered. The Simpsonville Activity&Senior Center on W Curtis St may provide more information about area senior activities/groups. Certainly check out the many meetup groups on line in the Greenville area. Welcome to the Upstate

Old 12-27-2016, 09:05 AM

59 posts, read 58,419 times
We retired here about a year and a half ago. I second the meetup.com site. Found several that were interesting, now co-organize one, helping start another.

Last edited by norm42; 12-27-2016 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: fonts

Old 12-27-2016, 12:17 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,038,782 times
Check out meetup... something for everyone.

https://www.meetup.com/find/?allMeet...tFilter=mysugg

Old 01-13-2017, 06:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,177 times
We moved from Colorado to Simpsonville in October 2016 and find the people here very friendly and warm. However, we have not made any friends either. We found a church close by and find the members very friendly and genuine. We are still not really connected to anyone to have lunch with or even just invite for tea.

I am working and find the salary scale here so low! I was shocked to find that I am losing $8.00 an hour for administrative assistant positions. So decided to take a low key job that pays the same as a admin position and quite loving it although it is tiring. The people are work with are great so that makes a difference.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:37 PM

27 posts, read 46,174 times
[quote=fragileblueplanet;46812058]We moved from Colorado to Simpsonville in October 2016 and find the people here very friendly and warmQUOTE]

OMGoodness! We moved initially to Charlotte area from Fort Collins,and miss it SO much! We just are beginning our move to Simpsonville- finding a small 5 acre farm. Maybe we will run into each other!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area