Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2017, 08:02 AM

61 posts, read 50,192 times

Advertisements

Getting ready to put in some raised garden beds and was wondering if there are any good places to buy starter tomato and pepper plants near Simpsonville when the time comes to plant them?

Moved here from Michigan last year but did not have time to get a garden started so I just bought some containers and starter plants from the big box stores and tried that. I was underwhelmed with my success and even more underwhelmed with the cost of each starter plant.

Back in my part of Michigan we had several nurseries that sold starter plants at very reasonable prices (like 12 mix and match plants for $2.99) and I am hoping there is at least one place like that locally here, too.

I will also do some containers of herbs so I hope I can find those at a reasonable price, too.

I was thinking about just starting my own plants from seeds but I have had too many things going on and never got around to it this year. Maybe next year!

Back in Michigan I had six 4-foot by 8-foot raised beds and was able to grow so many tomatoes (especially cherry varieties) that even my neighbors were kept well-supplied. I won't start out that ambitious here but will maybe have four 5-foot by 5-foot beds to begin with and then several more of the same size for my wife to put in flowers.

And a final question.....how bad are rabbits and other pests around here? Back in Michigan we had an endless supply of those little garden raiders but I have not seen a single rabbit or any of their droppings where I live (in Remington subdivision).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 08:06 AM

5,674 posts, read 5,882,381 times
I get mine from Stewart Farms in Enoree. Dont recall the prices though.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:12 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,842,378 times
In my neighborhood in easley we have a rather large family of rabbits that like to torment my dogs, so I would say yeah they are around, maybe not in your area tho. Don't know where remington subdivision is.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:11 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
We don't have a problem with rabbits. The biggest problem here are insects. You really need to stay on top of your garden to keep an eye out for them. I usually end up buying my plants at Walmart. I believe a 6 pack is $2.99. It would be nice to find them less expensive.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:31 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,870,460 times
My neighborhood was overrun with rabbits until they cut down all of the underbrush. Get my plants from Home Depot and they do fine.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:18 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,183,418 times
Largest selection and variety will be at Piedmont Farm and Garden in Spartanburg.

Pepper Plants For Sale: Buy Pepper Plants Online: Piedmont Farm & Garden

Check out the tomato page variety from last year.

Spring Plant Show at the SC Farmers market has Rogers Heirloom plants - he has a lot of the dwarf varities.

Asheville has the Herb Festival and has a ton of interesting maters and peppers there too.

Not exactly close to Simpsonville, but worth the drive IMHO - I do it!

Old 02-09-2017, 01:44 PM

61 posts, read 50,192 times
Thank you to all who replied. Now I have some good ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area