Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 08:15 AM

106 posts, read 196,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum4 View Post
I have heared that they are going to tear down kmart and bilo on 123 in Easley . And going to build a Costco.
A friend of mine that works at the BI-LO offices in Mauldin told me a few months ago that the BI-LO in the Kmart plaza would be closing when the lease is up and he had heard the same for Kmart. I have no idea when their leases are up but he mentioned the owner of the plaza was going to do some major renovations when they close in order to land a "Target type" store but mentioned nothing specific. This is all second hand information so who knows how valid it is but I agree with G-Man that I doubt it will be Costco since Sam's only does so-so business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 08:32 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scmartin View Post
A friend of mine that works at the BI-LO offices in Mauldin told me a few months ago that the BI-LO in the Kmart plaza would be closing when the lease is up and he had heard the same for Kmart. I have no idea when their leases are up but he mentioned the owner of the plaza was going to do some major renovations when they close in order to land a "Target type" store but mentioned nothing specific. This is all second hand information so who knows how valid it is but I agree with G-Man that I doubt it will be Costco since Sam's only does so-so business.
Target would do well in that general area. Another thing that would do well in Easley / Powdersville would be a larger movie theater to replace the current smaller theater.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:52 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,597,762 times
When are there closing down the BILO In Easley SC had great subs will Kmart a Targert will be good for that area

Old 04-28-2014, 10:06 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum4 View Post
I have heared that they are going to tear down kmart and bilo on 123 in Easley . And going to build a Costco.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I don't see that happening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scmartin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
Target would do well in that general area. Another thing that would do well in Easley / Powdersville would be a larger movie theater to replace the current smaller theater.
I do not see Costco opening in Easley anytime soon. I would not be surprised to see them open in Anderson sometime in the future.

In regards to Bi-Lo store 5016 (6 Kmart Plaza) closing, I would take it as a myth. It is the only supermarket in its immediate area. (Winn Dixie store 1284 on Grove Road closed in 2005, and has since been demolished.) It replaced an adjacent older location between 1997 and 1999. It is one of their more successful stores in western Greenville County. Bi-Lo stores 5006 (Anderson Road) and 5581 (West Blue Ridge Drive) are likely to close sooner than later.

Who knows what the future of Bi-Lo/Winn Dixie holds and if Kroger looks to re-enter Greenville through the acquisition of an existing chain.

Heading back to Easley, I would not be surprised to see Kmart and Bi-Lo store 5199 close. Seeing how Kmart has been steadily closing stores lately, I would see them close first. Walmart's relocation to Easley Town Center has taken business away from Kmart as the discount department store and Bi-Lo as the supermarket. Ingle's does well on its own.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Who knows what the future of Bi-Lo/Winn Dixie holds and if Kroger looks to re-enter Greenville through the acquisition of an existing chain.

Heading back to Easley, I would not be surprised to see Kmart and Bi-Lo store 5199 close. Seeing how Kmart has been steadily closing stores lately, I would see them close first. Walmart's relocation to Easley Town Center has taken business away from Kmart as the discount department store and Bi-Lo as the supermarket. Ingle's does well on its own.
I agree - the Bi-Lo there is competing against superior chains in the immediate area including Publix, Ingles, Walmart, and Aldi. Every niche in the market is pretty well covered. Bi-lo is one of those chains like Food Lion that just has not adapted to the changes in how supermarkets operate. They are too expensive to compete on price, the stores are mostly dated and don't compete for the high end shopper, and to make it even worse, most Bi-Lo stores are no faster to get through with a few items than Walmart.

Kroger might be better served to just open new stores in the market as opposed to acquiring Bi-Lo.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:28 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times
That Kmart site is on the Sears Holdings Realty website. I am sure its available like all the rest of them to anyone who wants it and is willing to ante up.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I agree - the Bi-Lo there is competing against superior chains in the immediate area including Publix, Ingles, Walmart, and Aldi. Every niche in the market is pretty well covered. Bi-lo is one of those chains like Food Lion that just has not adapted to the changes in how supermarkets operate. They are too expensive to compete on price, the stores are mostly dated and don't compete for the high end shopper, and to make it even worse, most Bi-Lo stores are no faster to get through with a few items than Walmart.

Kroger might be better served to just open new stores in the market as opposed to acquiring Bi-Lo.
I would not count Aldi as a superior chain. First, they are not a supermarket in terms of Bi-Lo, Ingle's, Publix and Walmart. Second, their main competitor would be Sav-A-Lot, owned by Supervalu and most locations are operated by franchisees.

Bi-Lo has made questionable decisions in adding and closing stores. They abandoned plans for three stores in Greenville County (South Buncombe Road/Hammett Bridge Road/South SC-14, Greer; Augusta Road, Piedmont; Locust Hill Road, Taylors). They are incomplete in the closing of three stores (store 5608, North Pleasantburg Drive, Greenville; store 5419, Rochester Highway, Seneca; store 5289, Wade Hampton Boulevard, Taylors).

I will take Bi-Lo a step farther on service. First, either open more checkout lanes and staff them properly with cashiers and baggers, or reduce their number. Two checkout lanes out of six, not including self checkout, is inadequate during your peak business hours. Second, self checkout register operations should not be permitted to abandon the area. He or she must watch four self checkout lanes at all times. An unattended station leaves customer having problems or a quick exit for theft out of the store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
That Kmart site is on the Sears Holdings Realty website. I am sure its available like all the rest of them to anyone who wants it and is willing to ante up.
It is a listing of all locations currently operating and closed. I know some Kmart auto centers are listed. Kmart abandoned their auto center departments, which took away business.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
How quickly would Kroger want to open stores? If they want to gain a quick presence, they would acquire an existing chain. If they want a gradual presence to open their Marketplace stores, store sites will be very few because of store size.

Both Kroger and Ingle's are focusing on pharmacies and fuel centers. They also overlap in Knoxville, Tennessee and Atlanta, Georgia.

Bi-Lo has pharmacies, but does not any fuel centers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
SHC Realty <http://www.shcrealty.com/>

No stores from South Carolina are marked as "Closed Store Opportunities."

Four "Operating Store Opportunities" exist in store-in-store leasing, outlots, demised space and in-line leasing. All South Carolina Kmart and Sears locations are listed here.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:49 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
How quickly would Kroger want to open stores? If they want to gain a quick presence, they would acquire an existing chain. If they want a gradual presence to open their Marketplace stores, store sites will be very few because of store size.

Both Kroger and Ingle's are focusing on pharmacies and fuel centers. They also overlap in Knoxville, Tennessee and Atlanta, Georgia.

Bi-Lo has pharmacies, but does not any fuel centers.

SHC Realty <http://www.shcrealty.com/>

No stores from South Carolina are marked as "Closed Store Opportunities."

Four "Operating Store Opportunities" exist in store-in-store leasing, outlots, demised space and in-line leasing. All South Carolina Kmart and Sears locations are listed here.
Interesting. Did not look at closed store section. Wonder why Berea is not listed?

Regarding Kroger I am not sure they would be interested in BI-LO's aging smaller stores anymore other than the SuperBilo stores like the large one on 14 in Simpsonville. If I were them I would have more interest in the Ingles stores as an acquisition. Much more their style.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:03 PM

I think of Aldi as a superior chain because they have good quality products at super low prices and I can usually get into and out of an Aldi quickly.

Bilo has higher prices on most items. They tend to have good sale prices but my experience is they are chronically out of stock on sale items. On top of that, you can't normally get through the checkout line quickly for the reasons mentioned above.

It's hard to beat Walmart on price. Publix has decided to beat them with quality and service. Most Ingles stores beat them on quality and service as well. Aldi has a limited selection but is competitive on price.

Kroger could start with some of the abandoned Winn Dixie, Kmart, and Bloom locations. I think that would be a better strategy than buying Bilo which seems to have little intrinsic value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area