Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 07:19 PM

5 posts, read 32,327 times

Advertisements

I have been looking for ever for places to take my Newfoundland dog to go swimming. Most places are a good drive or not big enough to actually swim.

Does anyone have any suggestions as far as where to go to let the poor dog swim?

We have been pretty involved with our dog and take her to the dog park in Greenville and practically every where we go! So it would be great to find a local place to go swimming.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 04:39 AM

128 posts, read 613,289 times
every time i go downtown, there are dogs swimming at the bottom of the falls

Old 04-01-2008, 04:43 AM

128 posts, read 613,289 times
plus, you can walk your dog from the dog park to the falls on the riverwalk trails

Old 04-01-2008, 08:21 AM

jpoole52,
Thank You for the quick reply. We actually go downtown a good bit and walk her there. I am very hesitant to allow her to swim in the reedy river especially since they have said there are fecal contaminants in the water there and strongly advise no swimming in the water.

I was hoping to find somewhere that (when the weather gets warmer) where I could go swimming with her also.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:27 PM

Does anyone else have any ideas as far as a safe place that your allowed to take your dog for a swim that is with in 30 minutes of Mauldin?

Old 04-01-2008, 06:00 PM

642 posts, read 2,088,843 times
Nope don't think they have such a place

Old 04-01-2008, 06:25 PM

269 posts, read 1,010,584 times
I would like to know the answer to swimming as well. I would love to take my Standard Poodle for a swim.

You are quite smart not to let your dog swim downtown in the river, it is not just fecal matter in the water. There are still quite alot of contaminates in the water from the days of the mills. We are talking mercury and other lovely heavy metals that will poison your dog over time. There was a huge report about 3 years ago in Newspaper about not letting your children swim and how it would be a least 20 years before the water was clean enough.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:40 PM

christopherinsc26,

In the post below you mentioned that you took your dog to a waterfall for swimming in Simpsonville? Where is this and is it still allowed? Thanks for your time.

//www.city-data.com/forum/green...reenville.html

Old 04-01-2008, 11:48 PM

642 posts, read 2,088,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boblaura View Post
christopherinsc26,

In the post below you mentioned that you took your dog to a waterfall for swimming in Simpsonville? Where is this and is it still allowed? Thanks for your time.
I have not been there in a few it is out in the middle of no where actually, it is not like in in simpsonville But it is at a water fall. I can't seem to remember the name of the road it is on. But I don't think people are really allowed to go there. But you see people there all the time and never had anyone say anything to me when I went. I will try to go there on Thursday if I have time and get the name of the road it is on for you. Would be nice if there was a area around here for dogs to go swimming tho hopefully someone knows of a better place to take them.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:21 AM

I apprec the quick response and the offer. If you have time that would be great, if not I am not in a real big hurry.

I am in the process of getting training for my dog to be a therapy dog. I have just emailed all the people in that group and I will post any suggestions I learn from them.

you actually dont have to drive there you can use Google maps and do a virtual drive you will be able to see the street name if you know the surrounding area to find the place.

Last edited by boblaura; 04-02-2008 at 12:24 AM.. Reason: added more info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area