Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 04:51 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times

Advertisements

Can anyone take the list from the 1989 directory and say the stores that are still there?

So far as I know (Excepting anchors).. Ann's Hallmark, GNC, Hickory Farms (Sort of, there's a kiosk, right?), Spencer Gifts, I'd assume Foot Locker and Lady Foot Locker, Claire's, Sunglass Hut (Kiosk?), Chick-Fil-A and Orange Julius

If anyone can correct me, and update with the clothing stores, which.. I have no idea about.

I'm assuming that's still Ann's Hallmark that is in the mall now, or at least, was the last time I was in there. Could be a different Hallmark store.

"Great Hot Dog Experience".. I don't remember that, never heard of it. But.. How the hell could a hot dog shop make it with mall rents? I mean.. That just doesn't seem feasible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 04:53 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Good Finds. I remember the Del Taco(39), Continental Cafe(41) and Aladin's Castle(40) 80's early 90's in the lower level mall entrance beside JCP before they built out the Dillards wing. There was also a nightclub in that wing in early 80's called Chevy's.(38)

Greenville Mall also had a Waldenbooks in the 80's. They had the Intimate Bookshop after the 90's renovation which was a great smal chain out of N.C. I believe. There was one at Southpark as well in Charlotte.

Last edited by vistatiger; 01-06-2020 at 05:13 PM..

Old 01-06-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Can anyone take the list from the 1989 directory and say the stores that are still there?

So far as I know (Excepting anchors).. Ann's Hallmark, GNC, Hickory Farms (Sort of, there's a kiosk, right?), Spencer Gifts, I'd assume Foot Locker and Lady Foot Locker, Claire's, Sunglass Hut (Kiosk?), Chick-Fil-A and Orange Julius

If anyone can correct me, and update with the clothing stores, which.. I have no idea about.

I'm assuming that's still Ann's Hallmark that is in the mall now, or at least, was the last time I was in there. Could be a different Hallmark store.

"Great Hot Dog Experience".. I don't remember that, never heard of it. But.. How the hell could a hot dog shop make it with mall rents? I mean.. That just doesn't seem feasible.
Ann's Hallmark is long gone. There was an American Greetings store too that is no longer.

You think making it with hot dogs is rough. Tater Junction from the 81 map sold baked potatoes with all sorts of toppings. LOL.

Last edited by vistatiger; 01-06-2020 at 05:04 PM..

Old 01-06-2020, 05:25 PM

428 posts, read 362,015 times
Apparently in the late 70s/eary 80s baked potatoes were a fad

https://www.nytimes.com/1979/11/18/a...st-potato.html

Old 01-06-2020, 05:53 PM
NDL

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Found a 1987 Mall Directory in the Greenville News for Haywood Mall

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/41814198/

Sigh.. Look at all the bookstores..

Here's one from 1989

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/41814367/

and lower level only from 1981

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/41814419/

And this looks like a directory of Greenville Mall from 1991

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/41814552/
We need to talk

Greenville had a Chevy's restaurant in 1987? It wouldn't happened to be the Chevy's Tex Mex chain, would it? Their salsa and chips are noteworthy good .

And if it was the Chevy's Tex Mex chain, how many restaurants in Greenville were there?

Old 01-06-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
We need to talk

Greenville had a Chevy's restaurant in 1987? It wouldn't happened to be the Chevy's Tex Mex chain, would it? Their salsa and chips are noteworthy good .

And if it was the Chevy's Tex Mex chain, how many restaurants in Greenville were there?
Nah not the same.

The chain was founded in 1981 by Warren Simmons,[8] when he opened the first restaurant in Alameda, California.[9] It grew to 37 restaurants across California by August 1993

Old 01-06-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
Nah not the same.

The chain was founded in 1981 by Warren Simmons,[8] when he opened the first restaurant in Alameda, California.[9] It grew to 37 restaurants across California by August 1993
Yes wasn't Tex Mex. This bar at Haywood was more of a nightclub/Disco. I was too young back then but pretty sure it had a car theme and was called Chevy's. Don't think it lasted long.

McAlister Square had a bar too that had a single wood door entrance in the mall. It's exterior was at the rear next to Belk on the side close to where Publix sits now. It changed names and themes over the years. Can't remember any of them.

Old 01-06-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Yes wasn't Tex Mex. This bar at Haywood was more of a nightclub/Disco. I was too young back then but pretty sure it had a car theme and was called Chevy's. Don't think it lasted long.

McAlister Square had a bar too that had a single door entrance in the mall. It's exterior was next to Belk on the side close to where Publix sits now. It changed names and themes over the years. Can't remember any of them.
It was a Salsa club right before McAlister Square closed. I went once. Strange.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:15 PM

654 posts, read 363,789 times
Quote:
McAlister Square had a bar too that had a single wood door entrance in the mall. It's exterior was at the rear next to Belk on the side close to where Publix sits now. It changed names and themes over the years. Can't remember any of them.

Churchill's? It had a street sign from London (City of Westminster) at the entrance, I recall. Never went in, though.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:05 PM
NDL

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
Nah not the same.

Appreciate the reply...It's a shame; Chevy's makes their salsa fresh, at least once daily. I think the closest location to here, is somewhere in Virginia.

Quote:
It sounded like a neat place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area