Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 05:36 AM

15 posts, read 9,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'm in the trial for 24+ months. So.. Seems odd to me that they'd only run the trial in kids for 12 months. You'd think it would be longer.
How so? 12 months is a long time, especially for kids. The longer you wait the harder it is to establish a relationship to the adverse medical occurrence and the study drug. Not too mention, pushing it longer would delay beneficial treatments from entering the market even longer than they are.

Old 01-22-2021, 07:56 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,759,950 times
I want to thank everyone for updates on the vaccine. I hope we can keep this discussion to helpful comments only. This is a much needed thread. Thank you!

Old 01-22-2021, 09:27 AM

17,592 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usesoap View Post
How so? 12 months is a long time, especially for kids. The longer you wait the harder it is to establish a relationship to the adverse medical occurrence and the study drug. Not too mention, pushing it longer would delay beneficial treatments from entering the market even longer than they are.

I'm still in the moderna trial, but the moderna vax is being given. Running the trial longer just gives you more data. It does not mean the trial has to finish before it can be used. Both the Moderna and Pfizer trials continue to run even though Emergency Use Authorization has been provided.

FWIW.. I just got my 'unblinding' appointment for Monday at 1:45pm. So, that's when i'll find out if I got placebo or actual vaccine and if I got placebo, will get dosed.

I started out thinking i got placebo, because I had NO side effects whatsoever after either shot. But.. I wonder now.. Because i've got 5 people at the office (out of about 12) out with positive tests now and.. I am perfectly fine.

Last edited by Labonte18; 01-22-2021 at 09:45 AM..

Old 01-22-2021, 02:21 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,764,594 times
Prisma rate of vaccine administration now outrunning supply in SC; walk-ins will be for scheduling help only:

Prisma no longer accepting walk-ins at Greenville mass vaccination clinic starting on Saturday

Old 01-23-2021, 04:19 AM

604 posts, read 584,636 times
It's all over the map. My wife went online and got an appointment in Mid-February. Friends (under 70) went to the Kmart site and got injected that day. Meanwhile, friends in eastern shore VA got an appointment- in mid-May! The news this AM said that SC has the lowest per-capita number of doses in the country; Alaska has the highest.

What I don't understand is how the positive test rate can be so high in SC. A couple weeks ago, it was up around 33%. If the actual general population rate was that high, everyone would have had it by now. Are they only testing and/or reporting people suspected of having it?

Old 01-23-2021, 06:59 AM

36 posts, read 23,695 times
With the current administration rejoining WHO and WHO changing the guidelines for what constitutes a +Covid case, it is very likely that the percent positive numbers will go away completely. To be perfectly honest the information being communicated in regards to positive testing has been very misleading. I personally at least one person who clinically had Covid (borderline hospitalization) but never got a +Covid test. Likewise there seem to be a lot of folks who tested positive with no symptoms. The test administered has a long history of inaccuracy. Don't get me wrong, we may have been doing the best we could with the testing method available, but we probably never should have been using the test only as a metric for the spread of the virus.

Old 01-23-2021, 08:31 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,362,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
Prisma rate of vaccine administration now outrunning supply in SC; walk-ins will be for scheduling help only:

Prisma no longer accepting walk-ins at Greenville mass vaccination clinic starting on Saturday
Whatever they are doing in Rock Hill seems to be working very well up there. Governor McMaster was there the other day and was very impressed with the efficiency of the facility and the vaccine distribution process. They are apparently using the old Goody's store at the mall.

And across the line in NC Atrium has a drive through vaccine facility at the Charlotte Motor Speedway which seems to be working well, and I think they are also going to add Bank of America Stadium eventually. I think one of the news stations said you could make an appointment across the line in NC even if you live in SC, but I am not for sure about that as I did not hear all the details. But that could help some folks who live near the state line. But apparently the Upstate has been shorted in the supply.

Old 01-23-2021, 08:49 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,362,441 times
And Publix and Harris Teeter are also reportedly offering vaccinations in SC if you have an appointment. Not sure about walk ins.

Old 01-25-2021, 05:52 AM

15 posts, read 9,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'm still in the moderna trial, but the moderna vax is being given. Running the trial longer just gives you more data. It does not mean the trial has to finish before it can be used. Both the Moderna and Pfizer trials continue to run even though Emergency Use Authorization has been provided.

FWIW.. I just got my 'unblinding' appointment for Monday at 1:45pm. So, that's when i'll find out if I got placebo or actual vaccine and if I got placebo, will get dosed.

I started out thinking i got placebo, because I had NO side effects whatsoever after either shot. But.. I wonder now.. Because i've got 5 people at the office (out of about 12) out with positive tests now and.. I am perfectly fine.
These COVID vaccine trials are a little different than other clinical trials for vaccines or drugs of various diseases of seriousness. Not all vaccine and/or drug trials receive emergency use authorization, which means that unnecessarily longer trials can delay beneficial treatments from entering the market and hurt those you are trying to help. It is not nearly as simple as you are making it out to be, I am not saying that we should rush through clinical trials, but how long to do long term safety follow-ups is completely dependent on the investigative treatment.

How was your participation in the trial? Do you have any suggestions for a clinical trial manager what could have made your experience a little better?

Old 01-25-2021, 06:25 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,845,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
What I don't understand is how the positive test rate can be so high in SC. A couple weeks ago, it was up around 33%. If the actual general population rate was that high, everyone would have had it by now. Are they only testing and/or reporting people suspected of having it?
Right, the percentage positive number is not 33% of a random cross selection of the population, it's 33% of the people who feel sick enough to show up and get a test done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area